Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:25 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMBasic for Windows - alphas

Page 7 of 12    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:49pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm not sure that it's at all wise to allow the user to get out of MMBasic in any way whatsoever on a PC. It's like giving them root access to a linux box. Very bad.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:00pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I'm not sure that it's at all wise to allow the user to get out of MMBasic in any way whatsoever on a PC. It's like giving them root access to a linux box. Very bad.

I don't think it's like that at all, and in any case it can't be any worse than any other programming language (i.e. "C") and peeking would still be restricted to within the MMBasic processes own virtual memory.

In any case the current discussion is not about calling C code from MMBasic it is just about whether Peter can be persuaded to implement sufficient CSUB support so that they could be used as data blobs like they can on the other recent MMBasic platforms ... including MMB4L .

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-02-22 23:02 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:06pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  it is just about whether Peter can be persuaded to implement sufficient CSUB support so that they could be used as data blobs like they can on the other MMBasic platforms .

The answer is no. It is a misuse of the command, confusing to users and illogical to document. It is so easy to load binary data from file that it makes no sense to create a separate mechanism. Read also does the job perfectly adequately and with some sensible naming of restore points should not be an issue with include files.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:22pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  it is just about whether Peter can be persuaded to implement sufficient CSUB support so that they could be used as data blobs like they can on the other MMBasic platforms .

The answer is no. It is a misuse of the command, confusing to users and illogical to document. It is so easy to load binary data from file that it makes no sense to create a separate mechanism. Read also does the job perfectly adequately and with some sensible naming of restore points should not be an issue with include files.

Fair enough, but you recognise that LOAD DATA is not usable for a library to independently load its own data because a .INC file doesn't know where it is located ... or to put it another way the .INC file has already been inlined and that context is lost by the time any LOAD DATA command within is executed.

I note that PureBasic can IncludeBinary data but that would also require you to support .INC files including other .INC files (which isn't particularly difficult), but I'm not trying to get you to add new features to MMB4W beyond those supported by the CMM2, afterall the goal is compatibility.

Quote  It is a misuse of the command, confusing to users and illogical to document.

You are the one who taught me how to do it .

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-02-22 23:23 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:24pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  LOAD DATA is not usable for a library to independently load its own data because a .INC file doesn't know where it is located

No, but the inc file knows where the original bas file is located and can reference and data from that

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:28pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  LOAD DATA is not usable for a library to independently load its own data because a .INC file doesn't know where it is located

No, but the inc file knows where the original bas file is located and can reference and data from that

I believe that makes an assumption that the .INC file is only being used by one .BAS file which may not be the case for a true library. Unless you are proposing that the user writes code to trawl the .BAS file and parse its #INCLUDE statements.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-02-22 23:31 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:56pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think you could make it work by adding support for a preprocessor macro (perhaps two, one that includes the filename and one that doesn't) that expands to a literal string containing the location of the .INC or .BAS file currently being processed.

Either way I will probably hold my nose and switch to using DATA statements in my "crypt.inc" code .

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-02-22 23:56 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:58pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are no true libraries - this is MMBasic . INC files will inevitably be duplicated and therefore it is not unreasonable to duplicate any data or if you are really worried about it use DATA statements in the inc file with a restore point name that includes the INC name.

Remember, if you provide a composite executable to a user they need all the components and can't be expected to "install" inc files in any specific known location otherwise you are just making life too difficult for them. They just want to unzip a package wherever and have it run without doing anything else.

I remember this was discussed before and my recollection is that the duplication of inc files, however unpalatable for the purist, was a necessary evil for MMBasic
Edited 2022-02-23 00:02 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:09pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm not getting anywhere here am I? I think I'll open up another front of operations .

How about an MM.INFO() that could read the value of the global DATA pointer into a variable and then a variant of RESTORE that could make use of that. Then subs could be written that make use of DATA but restore the state of the global DATA pointer when they exit.

Note I'm only really interested if this comes with a commitment to backport to the CMM2 and PicoMite.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-02-23 00:10 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:11pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry no, but I really believe you are looking for a solution to a problem that only exists for you

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 02:12pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For me will be perfect something similar to SEARCH PATH but for .INC files (SEARCH INC PATH?). Then you can load .INC file from same path as .BAS file and when is not here try it from SEARCH INC PATH...

So I can have one directory as library, set SEARCH INC PATH with it and all my COMMON .INC files have just in one place.
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:20pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Sorry no, but I really believe you are looking for a solution to a problem that only exists for you

Possibly, but I'm flexible and I'll work around it somehow.

If I can be frank the flipside of your comment is that you don't appear to be eating your own dogfood .

Best wishes,

Tom

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:23pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you can #include a file that is a set of DATA statements then the first one could be a list of the restore points. You could have different programs load the same file, some may use all the restores and others only selected ones.

If it works like the PicoMite you can have calculated relative Restores too. Very nice for adventure games where the restore point is your room number. :)

Or you can pack binary data into strings - just don't try to output them. :)
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:55pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

V5.07.03a7

MMBasic.zip

New temporary option
OPTION CONSOLE REPEAT ON/OFF

When set it copies all Print and output to the console. It is reset to off when a program is run

MM.CMDLINE$ implemented

OPTION DEFAULT PATH errors tidied up

MM.INFO(exists dir dirname$) implemented to complement MM.INFO(exists file fname$)

Current MM.INFO are:
SOUND
MAX PAGES
PAGE ADDRESS
FRAMEBUFFER
DIRECTORY (same as CWD$)
EXISTS FILE
EXISTS DIR
OPTION AUTORUN
OPTION EXPLICIT
OPTION BASE
PROGRAM
AUTORUN
DEVICE (same as MM.DEVICE$)
DEFAULT PATH
VERSION (same as MM.VER)
VARCNT
CURRENT
FONTWIDTH
FONTHEIGHT
FILESIZE
FONTCOUNT (how many chars are available in current font)
WIDTH
HEIGHT
HPOS
VPOS
FCOLOUR
BCOLOUR
FRAMEH
FRAMEV
WRITEPAGE
FONT
ERRNO
ERRMSG

OPTION BREAK
Edited 2022-02-23 02:07 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:58pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  If you can #include a file that is a set of DATA statements then the first one could be a list of the restore points. You could have different programs load the same file, some may use all the restores and others only selected ones.

If it works like the PicoMite you can have calculated relative Restores too. Very nice for adventure games where the restore point is your room number. :)

Doesn't solve the problem ;-)

1. DATA works by maintaining a global pointer to the next piece of DATA to be READ.
2. RESTORE can set the pointer.
3. There is no mechanism for user code to read the pointer, only the DATA it points at.

The result is that if I write a piece of code that calls a SUB or FUNCTION (potentially from a 3rd party, i.e. a library) then it may change the global pointer and there's nothing either the caller or the callee can do about it except religiously ensure that every set of READs starts with a RESTORE and that within a set of READs they don't call any code out of their control which might change the global pointer.

It's not an MMBasic specific problem it's just a flaw in the whole BASIC DATA/READ feature that is irrelevant for small atomic single-developer programs.

Anyway I've moved past the point of expecting Peter to do anything about it. I knew there was a reason I was avoiding involvement in MMB4W .

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:59pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  V5.07.03a7 ...

Thank you Peter I'll take it for a spin in the morning.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:04pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  New command CONSOLE. This is the same as print but puts output to the console window - perfect for debugging

I don't suppose there is any possibility of you calling that "DEBUG" or "CONSOLE PRINT" so it doesn't conflict with MMB4L's family of CONSOLE commands ?

... I guess I could change the MMB4L keyword to TERMINAL.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-02-23 02:05 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:22pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I don't suppose there is any possibility of you calling that "DEBUG"

I started with DEBUG but everyone uses debug as a variable so discounted that.

I'll change console to something else in the next release

Going back to the READ issue. How about READ SAVE/RESTORE? These commands could be used by an INC file to save the current datapointer then do the local read, then restore it after. That way the INC could know it was being a good citizen.

This could then be included in the PicoMite and CMM2 next releases
Edited 2022-02-23 02:23 by matherp

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 04:31pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Tom

Hmmm...
BASIC was never designed or intended for anything else but the user program to mess with the global DATA pointer. For a start it's not safe - you could make it point anywhere. It's one of those things, like changing RAMTOP, that you just don't do from within your program. The BASIC view is that if it gets changed from outside the program then something has crashed.

I bet you write self-modifying code just to upset people. :)
Edited 2022-02-23 02:32 by Mixtel90
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:38pm 22 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I'll change console to something else in the next release

Thanks Peter.

Though I'm still open to changing to TERMINAL, if anyone with an interest in MMB4L is in favour of that.

matherp said  Going back to the READ issue. How about READ SAVE/RESTORE? These commands could be used by an INC file to save the current datapointer then do the local read, then restore it after. That way the INC could know it was being a good citizen.

That sounds ideal, so the workflow would be something like

READ SAVE
RESTORE foo
READ variable[, variable]...
READ RESTORE

?

Best wishes,

Tom

Page 7 of 12