Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:52 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMBasic Programming Challenge 2022

Page 6 of 7    
Lodovik

Posted: 08:14pm 17 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   is the default MODE 1 (800x600) in MMBasic for Windows the best one for this program, or would another one be better?

Hi,

Yes the rendering is tweaked for the 800x600 resolution. The rendering is clipped at the bottom so you won't see the unfinished border of the landscape when it's cutting through terrain. It would not look good on very rough terrain, like Mars.

You can see how it would look if you move the Mars data line before the others. The first set is rendered on-screen and you can see how the clipped border would look as it is rendered.

I made the rendering off-screen after the first one because of the long time it takes on the CMM2 to generate one landscape.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 08:38pm 17 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok, thanks. As I said, looks good.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:30am 19 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a quick line to say that there has been a delay in the judging, hopefully we should be able to announce the winner at the end of NEXT week (~30th).

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Mindwarp

Posted: 12:38am 22 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's a screen shot of the game running on the Colour Maximite 2. I tried on Windows and all I got was gibberish for graphics,weird.

Edited 2022-07-22 10:40 by Mindwarp

Lodovik

Posted: 10:07pm 22 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a quick note about my program, Fractal Landscapes: if you use it on MMBasic for Windows, you should put this line at the very beginning of the program:

randomize timer

If not, you will always see the same landscapes generated each time you run the program in MMB4W.

On the CMM2, this line is not needed since the random number generator is hardware based.

Lodovik.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:32am 28 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Everyone,

Judging has finished and I am very happy to announce the winners of the "Programming Competition '22 " are as Follows:

1st Place    Vegipete with Battlezone            £30
2nd Place   TimD     with Factor Fracture      £20
3rd Place    Lodovik  with Fractal Mountain  £10

Special mention must be given to Volhoult with SSTV as it was, by all accounts, an extremely impressive and skillful effort but unfortunately it has been deemed by the judges to be ineligible due to the requirement of external hardware to make it work.

As a `consolation' I have decided that I will send Volhoult a set of my new PCBs and hope that he will be able to make good use of them.

I wish to Thank every person who participated in Comp '22 and I look forward to being a part of Comp '23 next year.

I would also like to take the time to personally thank the 3 judges, Tom, Bill and Lance for the effort they put into testing each of the entries and rating them for the 3 categories, Originality, Clarity and Impressiveness. An unenviable task that it was. I would also like to Thank them for all sharing in the awarding of the prize money, it was not necessary but they all wanted to be part of that process.

Could I ask that the 3 winners contact Tom (aka Thwill) so that he may action the payment of prize money to them.

Also Volhoult can you please confirm your postal address via email or PM to me so that I may send you a set of my PCBs?

Once again a big thank you to you all,

Looking forward to next year .. Bring on Comp '23

Kindest of regards,

Mick (the Big MICK)
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:21am 28 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Even though I didn't enter this time, I'd also like to thank the contestants, judges and (of course) bigmik. Watching "from the wings" has been very interesting for me.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:42pm 28 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Congratulations to our winners, and my thanks to the other entrants, better luck next time.

Thank you to (Big) Mick, Bill and Lance for funding and judging the Challenge.

I will be producing a YouTube video to highlight all the entries, but it's Summer Holiday season so it might be a few weeks before I can get that sorted.

One prize has already been paid out to @Ludovik, but I'm still waiting to hear from @Vegipete and @TimD.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:35am 29 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just reposting that all the entries are available for download here:

https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-challenge/tree/main/2022

I hope to update the README with details of the winners and add some screenshots as time permits.

Best wishes,

Tom

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 04:06pm 29 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not sure why but can not view Stellar Battle in the Seven Green Hills Zone - @vegipete's PDF document.  Is anyone else having this issue.  Thanks.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:09pm 29 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  Not sure why but can not view Stellar Battle in the Seven Green Hills Zone - @vegipete's PDF document.  Is anyone else having this issue.  Thanks.

By following the above link ?

Looks fine to me.

https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-challenge/blob/main/2022/vegipete/StellarBattleinthe7GreenHillsZone.pdf

Best wishes,

Tom

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 04:24pm 29 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The GitHub copy of my pdf instructions won't load on my phone either. It's in the zip file I posted 2 pages back in this thread.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:33pm 29 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  The GitHub copy of my pdf instructions won't load on my phone either. It's in the zip file I posted 2 pages back in this thread.

For what it's worth the GitHub copy is fine on my Android phone (Xiaomi Mi A1).

Have you tried to [Download] the file and view it outside the browser ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-07-30 02:34 by thwill

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 06:00pm 29 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting, 'download' shows it _in_ the browser on my Android phone.

Ah, right, it downloads, then appears in a browser tab. The "code block won't render" directly on my phone on the GitHub page, no doubt the phone's fault.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:00am 30 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Changing

https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-challenge/blob/main/2022/vegipete/StellarBattleinthe7GreenHillsZone.pdf

to

https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-challenge/raw/main/2022/vegipete/StellarBattleinthe7GreenHillsZone.pdf

(i.e. blob to raw)

allowed me to download it directly (browser or use wget or curl or ...).

John

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:41am 03 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

All prizes should now have been paid out.

Best wishes,

Tom

Mindwarp

Posted: 10:21pm 03 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looking forward to next year!

Lodovik

Posted: 02:37am 04 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you for organizing this. I had fun participating and I will be there next year if you make another contest.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:56am 04 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'll join next year also, and will make sure to meet the rules...hihi...

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 03:43am 04 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd like to thank all who were involved in the contest, especially the judges and prize donors, and also fellow contestants.

It took quite some brain pain to squeeze as much into 5120 bytes as I managed to, and I'm honoured and flattered that the results were worthy of 1st place. The other entries were quite cool too, with some very interesting programming techniques, techniques that are much easier to read and understand than the hideously compact mess I entered. I don't envy the job the judges had to perform to determine the results.

===========
Attached is a modified version of Stellar Battle in the Seven Green Hills Zone especially for the PicoMITE-VGA. This is uncompressed and somewhat commented.

PicoMite VGA version 5.07.05b15 or later recommend.
This version runs on Mixtel90's PicoGAME Mini, and hopefully on other versions of VGA Picomite too.
OPTION CPUSPEED 252000 (or faster?) is required for layers to work.
The current control requires an Atari style switched joystick on Part A. The very last subroutine in the program handles the joystick and can be changed to suit alternate hardware. I've ordered an NES style controller - if something useful shows up, I'll see what I can do with it.
The arrow keys and [SPACE] through the console also work, but not very well.
Sound is also missing, mostly because the PicoMite doesn't implement the NOISE and PERIODIC NOISE types for the PLAY SOUND command, but also because I haven't added sound hardware to my board yet. (Thanks Lizby!) The second to last subroutine handles sounds. The star gate sound should work, uncomment it to try.

Performance is not as good as on the CMM2, but useable. More optimizations are in order...

Page 6 of 7    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024