Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:21 17 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMBasic Programming Challenge 2022

Page 7 of 7    
Martin H.

Guru

Posted: 04:48am 04 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Attached is a modified version of Stellar Battle in the Seven Green Hills Zone especially for the PicoMITE-VGA. This is uncompressed and somewhat commented.

Yes!!
that was what I've been waiting for.
I will try to get the sound running. For the missing Noise I used a Array of random Frequencies in PicoVaders which worked well. so Ill give it a try
something like that:

Dim noise(255):For i =1 To 255:noise(i)=Int(Rnd*1000):Next
ns%=1
Play VOLUME 0,0

Do
  If Inkey$=" " Then SetTick 1,noise_tick,1:NV=100:SetTick 5,noise_vol,2
Loop

Sub noise_tick
Play tone Noise(ns%),noise(ns%)
Inc ns%: ns%=ns% And 255
End Sub

Sub noise_vol
Play VOLUME nv,nv
Inc nv,-1
If nv=0 Then Play stop:SetTick 0,0,1:SetTick 0,0,2
Exit Sub

Thank you for addapting it to the Pico.
Cheers
Mart!n
Edited 2022-08-04 15:31 by Martin H.
'no comment

Martin H.

Guru

Posted: 07:04am 04 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SBSGHZv03_PMVGASND.zip
just a test, with additional sound .. somehow  

(I disabled the Joystick for my tests, maybee i forgot to re enable it.)
Edited 2022-08-04 18:24 by Martin H.
'no comment

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:57am 04 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Excellent @Vegipete, I look forward to giving it a spin.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 06:38pm 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Better late than never, here is my video showcase of the Challenge entries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb_eVDY0-Gg

EDIT: and it's no longer "private"  

Unless you are philosophically opposed to doing so then please consider Liking and Subscribing ... in theory it makes it more likely people outside our echo chamber will see it and perhaps join our community.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-09-21 04:48 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:30pm 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tom,

Thank you for spending the time to create this video. It is a homage to all the contestants and an archive of their achievements, for all to see.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 12:26am 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Awesome video Tom, thank you for putting it together.

Were the score sheets ever posted? TimD's entries especially have impressed me with their programming neatness and originality, two important criteria that I tend to ignore completely, and presumably score rather poorly on.

Thank you to all involved!
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 05:19am 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Since youtube links this video also t last years video, I watched it too. Realizing TimD was second place in 2021 and 2022.
Both times with an original game. That is a truely an achievement. Inventing new games.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

TimD

Posted: 10:55pm 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks @vegipete & @Volhout for the kind words - and thanks to Tom and the other judges for organising the challenge and providing the prizes.

I really found it a challenge to crowbar the features I wanted into the 5KB limit - I couldn't really design the program from scratch to fit into the set amount of memory because I couldn't visualise how much each feature or aspect of the game would consume.  Instead, I had to use a more evolutionary approach (a fancier way of saying 'trial and error')  

I panicked when I tried to run up my 'final' version of the game once I'd got all the elements of it working together, and realised that it was almost impossible to play!  There then followed a lot of furious tweaking to 'dumb it down' so that it was at least mildly enjoyable!

Congratulations @vegipete on your winning entry - I would never have guessed that it was possible to program that within 5KB - and my game looks rather flat and '2D' after seeing yours

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:45pm 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

vegipete said  

Were the score sheets ever posted?

I actually received and compiled the judges scores for each category so that the individual judges did not know what the other 2 scored.

I will ask the judges if they are happy to have the scores published, if they are I will post them here.

Just realise that this is a ‘fun’ competition and I would not want to see any fervent discussion on the scores given or whether the scores should have been ‘this, that or the other’.

None of us are professionals with respect to appraising the various categories and we are all human and errors and mistakes can and do occur.

All that aside I think, from memory, the 3 judges did more or less agree with each other so they were either ALL CORRECT or ALL WRONG.

I am looking forward to being a sponsor again (I was only one of a few this year) for Competition’23

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:44am 23 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Vegipete, All,

After discussion with the judges, it has been decided that we will keep the scores closed at this stage.

This is not because we have anything to hide but mainly because we don’t want to have a situation of somebody disagreeing with one or more judges opinions and creating a distraction from what is a thread based on positive content.
Such a thing would not be constructive and would detract from the main point of the competition which is to have fun.

We as the organisers of the competition hope that no one is terribly upset by our decision and that we can let this pass as we move on and we look forward to next years competition.

With the kindest of Regards,

Mick and the Judging pool of Comp’22
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

PilotPirx

Posted: 08:46am 26 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Martin H. said  SBSGHZv03_PMVGASND.zip
just a test, with additional sound .. somehow  

(I disabled the Joystick for my tests, maybee i forgot to re enable it.)

Did you test it with actual VGA version 5.07.06?
On my PicoMite VGA (CPUSPEED 252000 activated) it stopps immediately without error and picture. Can't get it to work.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:15am 26 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Works perfectly on V5.07.07b10 - just tested from the link. Have you got audio enabled (OPTION AUDIO GP6,GP7)?
Edited 2023-01-26 19:17 by matherp

Page 7 of 7    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024