Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:59 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite/PicoMiteVGA V5.07.05 betas

Page 2 of 11    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:29am 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   I get told OPTION SPI is an invalid option.

PicoMite or PicoMiteVGA? This is correct for the VGA version where you use the extended OPTION SDCARD syntax - see the VGA manual. It's a bug if you are seeing it on the Picomite version.

For long lines the easiest way is to import the program from a PC (autosave or XModem).

There is a hack workround in the editor - type the end of the line first and then go to the beginning and put in the start. This will scroll the end off the screen without an error. This is a limitation of all of the simple MMBasic versions. Only the CMM2 and MMB4W get round this by having much more memory to allow sideways scrolling in a completely re-written editor editor.

You can also increase the character count by changing font used by the editor

OPTION LCDPANEL CONSOLE 7 or 8 will use a small (7 = 8x6) or very small (8 = 6x4) font
Edited 2022-06-02 19:30 by matherp

Witenite

Posted: 09:58am 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Me again!
Alright, I figured out a bit of a workaround for inserting lines longer than 80 columns. Type the line over two rows, then delete back the one line to the end of the other. You can't see the characters, but they're there.

I typed out both your demo programs listed here, and also overclocked the Pico for the framebuffer layering program. It's all working perfectly! I am really impressed with this.

Witenite

Posted: 10:01am 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  

PicoMite or PicoMiteVGA? This is correct for the VGA version where you use the extended OPTION SDCARD syntax - see the VGA manual. It's a bug if you are seeing it on the Picomite version.

Sorry, this is the Picomite VGA. I'll take a look. OK, thanks I think I know what you mean. Is that because the SD card can no longer share the SPI port for the VGA software version? Not an issue for me at this point, but just want to know.
Edited 2022-06-02 20:01 by Witenite

Witenite

Posted: 10:04am 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One other minor question Peter. When I exit one of these graphical programs (CTRL+C) how do I return to the command prompt? I tried typing in Mode 1, but I still see monochrome artifacts left behind from the spinning ball for example, but no cursor.
Edited 2022-06-02 20:04 by Witenite

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 10:05am 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  But you're only supposed to edit programs in green, Volhout. I know this because I've seen it in films on the telly loads of times. ;)

Yip, thought about that ..... Back to BASIC-s....
Actually when I started working on the SSTV program, my VGA picomite had an older version, and showed green VGA video.... It was like being back at highschool, where they had green terminals connected to a mainframe running Basic.
Edited 2022-06-02 20:07 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:06am 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the first post in the thread

Quote  If you Ctrl-C out of a program while the FRAMEBUFFER WRITE is set to the FRAMEBUFFER then you will need to execute FRAMEBUFFER CLOSE to get you cursor back.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:15pm 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

My 2p on recent topics:

Peter may prove me wrong but syntax highlighting based on 2x2 colour cells looks like a non-starter. How are you going to ensure keywords are properly aligned without the editor introducing fake whitespace which will just throw off everything else ? - you are basically asking for a rewrite. MODE 2 and a small low res font is probably your best option.

It would be nice and I think feasible for the PicoMiteVGA to have an EDIT S command that would edit solely through the serial console and read the dimensions of that console via VT codes; I may look at that if Peter doesn't beat me to it.

I'm currently porting (and refactoring, but that is incidental) what I've dubbed the "Classic" editor to MMB4L, not because I think it is a good choice on Linux, but because it is the best way to gain deep familiarity with the code. I'm hopeful I can enhance it to allow long line editing of the current line which I will then try to port back to the PicoMiteVGA

Wish me luck,

Tom
Edited 2022-06-03 00:16 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:34pm 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

Agree: colour on 2x2 characters is not do-able. But the VGA screen (640x480) is divided in 40x30 tiles of 16x16 pixels.
A nice editing screen could be 80 wide and 30 high. A font that is 8(wide)x12(high) and 4 pixels between lines ends up with 8x16. So every 2 characters (horizontally) there is  a tile that can determine the colour.

What can happen is (take the command "print") in colour A

" PRINT A+3"
AAAAAA

in this case the leading space is black, and colour A does not show. The training space is not coloured since the A is a variable.

" PRINT:PRINT:A=3"
AAAAAAAAAAAA

in this case the colon between the 2 commands would colour A (=artefact).

I am not sure if what I propose is possible or difficult to achieve. It seems relatively simple if you have a font that meets above size, to at paint the first character, and stop paining at the first character of a non-command. Since these are already send as escape codes to the serial terminal.
I think the complexity would be in scrolling (I am not even sure how this works now). You could completely redraw, or you need to align text scroll and tile scroll.

Regards,

Volhout
Edited 2022-06-03 00:36 by Volhout

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:00pm 02 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Colour editing in mode 1 is not a practical proposition - sorry

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:00am 03 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Getting there with sprites

https://youtu.be/9J28ip1uZJk

Witenite

Posted: 07:06am 04 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  In the first post in the thread

Quote  If you Ctrl-C out of a program while the FRAMEBUFFER WRITE is set to the FRAMEBUFFER then you will need to execute FRAMEBUFFER CLOSE to get you cursor back.

Thank you.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:09pm 08 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

V5.07.05b6

https://geoffg.net/Downloads/picomite/PicoMite_Beta.zip

Re-engineering of PORT command to allow simultaneous update
Implementation of sprite command and function
Use EDIT 1 to edit in mode 1, Use EDIT 2 to edit in mode 2, Use EDIT to edit in current mode
Change timing of PAGE COPY ,,B to avoid screen artefacts

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:21pm 11 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What have I got wrong here?

> ?mm.ver
> SetPin 1,pwm0A
> pwm 0,1000,100
> pwm 0,1000,0
> pwm 0,off
Error : Syntax
>

(Note: the LED turns on and off as expected. PWM 0,OFF also doesn't work if the LED is still on.)

~
Edited 2022-06-12 01:22 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 11 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've put an over enthusiastic syntax check in somehow. Will fix. In the meantime use

pwm 0,off,0

lizby
Guru

Posted: 07:22pm 11 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok, thanks.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:29pm 12 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PicoMite V5.07.05b7

https://geoffg.net/Downloads/picomite/PicoMite_Beta.zip

Fixed bug in PWM n,OFF requiring spurious extra parameter
Fixed bug in sound command overdriving the PWM when > 2 channels are used and the volume isn't explicitly specified

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:18pm 13 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter,

There is a serious problem with PLAY WAV "filename.wav".

It looks like the audio buffers overlap with the tile memory (colors) in mode 1.
Using 5.07.05b6

The audio sounds okay though. Even if I do a CLS in mode 1.
When I used the switchmode powersupply there was all kinds of noise and even the SD card trafic was audible. Now with the linear regulator all is noice.
The only thing that is audible is a little noise in the silent passages, but it is constant noise, and can very well come from the 11 bit resolution.
Needed to connect my living room audio system to be able to distinguish this noise. On (my) headset it is not audible at all.

Volhout
Edited 2022-06-14 05:43 by Volhout

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 06:17am 14 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Top part of the screen seems corrupted by audio data. Bottom part of screen is corrupted by meta data. That only changes when you play a different track.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:43pm 14 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you're operating the non-VGA Picomite with serial console, how do you maximize the number of characters per line that will be accepted? What is that maximum?

I'm getting command lines sent erroring out with "invalid character", though there is nothing invalid that I can see--the lines appear to be too long.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:52pm 14 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Option display rows,cols
Maximum cols is 240

Page 2 of 11    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024