Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:48 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Waveshare LCD Picomite

Page 1 of 2    
Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 06:07am 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

7-8 weeks ago I got one of those Waveshare Pico LCD Modules, and thought it was the neatest LCD Package for a bunch of projects I want to do, then when I realized there was no easy to Access the unused IO pins so I may be the last one to figure out to do my pico pins like this : but I got there in the end

I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:24am 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's kinda cool...  :)
It also illustrates rather nicely just how few I/O you have left.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

cosmic frog

Posted: 10:54am 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's Spiky!

You could call it the PicoSpike  

Dave.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:57am 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Picopine?
Mick

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 12:32pm 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  It also illustrates rather nicely just how few I/O you have left.

It does only leave 11 GPI/O pins available, but that's plenty for some meaningful Projects. I'm real interested in the idea if it's possible (and I know this may sound stupid), of offloading the I/O to another Pico and using the pico in the Waveshare as UI like almost an over simplified Cluster!
Edited 2022-06-22 22:33 by Rickard5
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:42pm 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's not difficult. You can link them using either I2C or COM ports. Lizby has done a lot of work on this.
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:47pm 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said  offloading the I/O to another Pico

Picomite serial client and more coming.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 03:47pm 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said  offloading the I/O to another Pico and using the pico in the Waveshare as UI like almost an over simplified Cluster!

That's my plan for a project. Although probably not a Pico as the controller.

I intend to put another PCB between the Pico and the LCD display, and use stacking headers (for example) to link it all together.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 05:43pm 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  

I intend to put another PCB between the Pico and the LCD display, and use stacking headers (for example) to link it all together.

That was my my original plan to spin up a board that would mount on the top of the pico or between the pico and the waveshare, but the problem become if you try to wedge it between the pico and waves hate you lose too much interconnect pin length so on top would be Ideal then once soldered to the pico the pins could be clipped to shorten up the whole package. and the second problem is I've tried to learn PCB CAD packages, and apparently I'm too stupid top grasp the concept of modern PCB CAD packages, after 22 years of AutoCad 2000, I can't negotiate the relativity simple task of of laying out a 40 pin DIP Breakout board and getting it ordered from China

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 05:43pm 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  

That was my my original plan to spin up a board that would mount on the top of the pico or between the pico and the waveshare, but the problem become if you try to wedge it between the pico and waves hate you lose too much interconnect pin length so on top would be Ideal then once soldered to the pico the pins could be clipped to shorten up the whole package. and the second problem is I've tried to learn PCB CAD packages, and apparently I'm too stupid top grasp the concept of modern PCB CAD packages, after 22 years of AutoCad 2000, I can't negotiate the relativity simple task of of laying out a 40 pin DIP Breakout board and getting it ordered from China

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:56pm 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said  40 pin DIP Breakout board

What's your breakout board intended to do?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:17pm 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rick--note (if I may): when you quote someone, it makes it easier for others to follow if you delete all in the quoted material except for what is needed to provide context for what you yourself say.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:27pm 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Regarding Rick's idea of a picomite with display stacked on a picomite with I/O, with, say, only 5V, 0Vs, and Rx and Tx linking, what would be the best way to power the second picomite from the USB on the first?

Aside from the 0Vs, would you need anything more than a power Schottky diode (say 2A SR260) between VBUS (pin 40) on the USB-powered pico and VSYS (pin 39) on the unpowered one?

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:29pm 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Duplicate post
Edited 2022-06-24 02:52 by lizby

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:10pm 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Connect VSYS on PicoMite A (the one getting power from the USB) to VSYS on PicoMite B (the other one).
That will take the 5V supply from one and connect it to the 5V input of the other. No diodes are needed because PicoMites contain a forward-biased diode from VBUS to VSYS.

It doesn't matter which you connect to USB, it will power both. If you connect both to USB then there will be no damage to PC USB ports because the diodes will be reverse-biased.

In addition to the above you would need GND and a COM port's TX and RX lines. They should be crossed over, TX to RX and vice versa. To avoid possible problems while playing it might be prudent to link them via 270R resistors.
Edited 2022-06-24 03:17 by Mixtel90
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:27pm 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I forgot about crossover of Tx & Rx, thanks. Too bad the pico doesn't permit them to be switched in software.

Just a little mix-up, though; literally.

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 07:32pm 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

my site

pwillard

Posted: 10:22pm 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice...  

Here is how I  solve it... with a Pimoroni PicoLipo

Edited 2022-06-24 09:10 by pwillard

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:30pm 25 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Proof of concept of PicoMite display with 2nd PicoMite for I/O

pwillard

Posted: 06:57pm 25 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow... a cool idea.  I might need to give that a try... the price is right.

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024