Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:31 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Sprint Layout

Page 3 of 4    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:58am 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

DesignSpark is a more versatile package than Diptrace, I think (up to 14 layers and 1m square IIRC). I'm playing with DesignSpark at the moment and I've done a very simple board. I *had* to mess with the colours and font though, and I'm still not happy with some of the things (Rotate a schematic component and the labels etc. rotate with it? urgh... That's so 1970's).

Creating custom libraries and components seems to be a lot easier than KiCAD. That's a relief because I don't think I can live with some of them. lol

Setting the browser to use a white list of sites that can drop cookies gave me a degree of satisfaction. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:25am 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  DesignSpark is a more versatile package than Diptrace, I think (up to 14 layers and 1m square IIRC).

Holy moly!  

Craig

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 11:41am 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use Diptrace extensively (paid for non profit full version), I think its by far the easiest PCB and Schematic design package out there for the price. Making custom libraries and components is fast and intuitive.

If you are doing a lot of boards its best to purchase the product than rely on knobbled  cut down versions.

Mike

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 12:01pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said  I use Diptrace extensively (paid for non profit full version), I think its by far the easiest PCB and Schematic design package out there for the price. Making custom libraries and components is fast and intuitive.

If you are doing a lot of boards its best to purchase the product than rely on knobbled  cut down versions.

Mike

Yeah, I just pulled-in a Parallax DipTrace schematic and ran the Autorouter.....NICE!!!  

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The minimum Diptrace is $75 now, with a limit of 2 layers and 300 pins.
The Lite version is $145 for 2 layers and 500 pins.
Regular is $395 for 4 layers and 1000 pins.

I couldn't justify those prices now, I'm afraid, even if it is excellent software.
KiCAD probably beats it on specification and reliability (it's been around for a long time now) and is free (but has a steep learning curve).
SL is less than 50 euros, does 4 layers and has no pin limit or board size limit that I can find. I suppose you run out of memory at some point.

If I can eventually get the hang of DesignSpark that will be a lot more than enough for me - and costs nothing.
Mick

lew247

Guru

Posted: 12:28pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Easyeda Is dead simple to use, simple and free
You can use it all online or download it and after checking for no errors you can upload the design direct to JLPCB for manufacturing

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 12:57pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's all great stuff. Right now, I'm not worried with my large board. SL is doing a great job.

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:25pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yay! I've created a PicoMite in DesignSpark without going any crazier than I was before! (Well, I don't think so...)

That's looking pretty, Craig. Be careful about the minimum track sizes and clearances that your chosen PCB house can handle. That applies to the width of lines used to draw silk screen characters too. I generally set the minimum to 0.15mm and normally work with a track width of 0.4mm if I can, which can carry about 1.4A using 1oz copper (best to derate it a little). Also, on a big board, make sure there is plenty of support or thin traces might break if it flexes. It may even be worth going for 2mm board rather than 1.6mm.
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:22pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick. We definitely think alike. I have always been thinking about the 2mm board and I need to get some screw holes around the 12-way connectors because they really need some oomph to pull apart. Board flex has been a consideration from the get-go  

Craig

pwillard

Posted: 02:28pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

But, ummmm...  this thread was supposed to be *about* Sprint Layout.  :-P

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pwillard said  But, ummmm...  this thread was supposed to be *about* Sprint Layout.  :-P

If the OP himself participates in the straying off-topic (so common here, and often so informative), who's to grouse?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

But I'd already created a PicoMite in Sprint Layout (the stamp version as well). I needed a challenge. :)

:P
Edited 2022-06-29 00:39 by Mixtel90
Mick

pwillard

Posted: 03:06pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

well, I was poking fun  ;-P

It does seem a number of us like making PCB's.  I claim that it is therapeutic... like puzzle solving.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 04:04pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pwillard said  well, I was poking fun  ;-P

It does seem a number of us like making PCB's.  I claim that it is therapeutic... like puzzle solving.

Isn't it just    

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 04:09pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agreed, it is. Especially if you are routing the board manually. I have noticed though that DesignSpark seems to like to add a via or two when autorouting - even when they aren't needed. I've always said that you can't trust computers. :)
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 06:50pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here ya go Mick....  

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:58pm 28 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

See? I have words of wisdom.  :)

Unhappy memories of swapping 81LS97 chips round on Nascom PCBs because some seemed to work in positions where others wouldn't. We couldn't trust the hardware, never mind the software.  :(
Mick

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:27pm 29 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Something that no-one has mentioned so far in this thread is that Sprint Layout has a Gerber import facility. You can (usually) rebuild a board from its Gerber files, edit it and produce your own variation. It doesn't produce the circuit diagram for you, obviously, but you have the silkscreen layers, which can be very helpful.
Mick

pwillard

Posted: 03:47pm 29 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can use the Gerber imports... but editing the result is a more complicated experience.

One downside to the Gerber import is that it creates FILL areas using roughly 0.5 tracks... so you pretty much end up needing to remove the "fills" manually to make any sense of the board (if you need to modify it).

You may also need to play around with item grouping since parts aren't "parts" anymore... everything is essentially an "art" object. (Understandable since GERBER is a "graphical" file format)

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:05pm 29 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Something that no-one has mentioned so far in this thread is that Sprint Layout has a Gerber import facility.You can (usually) rebuild a board from its Gerber files, edit it and produce your own variation.

That's because it is a really really bad idea

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024