Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:55 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : RP2040 Pico Temperature sensor Not supported

Page 3 of 3    
robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:19am 22 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

technically, the gauge shown in the video is an interesting illustration on the issues with using the pico's onboard ADC. the noise observed, at least in part, is coming from the pico's onboard switchmode regulator.

you could try:
1. link pins 37 and 38 - this should disable the onboard switchmode regulator
2. wire a 3v3 3-terminal LDO regulator between pins 39 (5v), 38 (ground), 36 (3v3)

cheers,
rob   :-)

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 06:32am 22 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  
  Quote  PIN(TEMP)         Returns the temperature of the RP2040 chip.

folks around here love giving cryptic answers  

cheers,

It reminds me of a joke in which a helicopter pilot gets lost in a fog over Seattle, Washington. He sees a tall building with an open window and hovers next to it. A man looks out and the pilot asks him, "Where are we?" The man says, "In a helicopter." The pilot thanks him, changes his course and finds his way directly to the helipad. His passenger was amazed. "How did you know where we were from that answer?" he asks. The pilot replies, "Simple. The answer the man gave was technically accurate but useless. From that, I knew the tower must be the Microsoft offices and then I had my exact location."

andreas

Posted: 01:42pm 22 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  

cheers,

pdfgrep -in pin PicoMiteVGA_User_Manual.pdf | grep -i temp  

32:     PRINT "Temperature: " TEMPR(pin)
34:        BITBANG LCD 2, 6, STR$(TEMPR(GP15))   ' DS18B20 connected to pin GP15
54:BITBANG HUMID pin, tvar,       Returns the temperature and humidity using the DHT22 sensor.
83:TEMPR START pin [, precision]      This command can be used to start a conversion running on a DS18B20
83:                                   temperature sensor connected to 'pin'.
95: PIN( TEMP )                   Returns the temperature of the RP2040 chip (see the RP2040 data sheet for
99: TEMPR( pin )             Return the temperature measured by a DS18B20 temperature sensor

-andreas

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 03:59pm 22 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  technically, the gauge shown in the video is an interesting illustration on the issues with using the pico's onboard ADC. the noise observed, at least in part, is coming from the pico's onboard switchmode regulator.

you could try:
1. link pins 37 and 38 - this should disable the onboard switchmode regulator
2. wire a 3v3 3-terminal LDO regulator between pins 39 (5v), 38 (ground), 36 (3v3)

cheers,

Thanks for the advice. I have the 3.3V enable grounded and supply the 3.3V out with 3.3V from a linear 3 pin regulator. It is a dual 5V/3.3V breadboard supply.
Noisy a-d has been mentioned to me.

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 04:09pm 22 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

toml_12953 said  
  robert.rozee said  

cheers,

It reminds me of a joke in which a helicopter pilot gets lost in a fog over Seattle, Washington. He sees a tall building with an open window and hovers next to it. A man looks out and the pilot asks him, "Where are we?" The man says, "In a helicopter." The pilot thanks him, changes his course and finds his way directly to the helipad. His passenger was amazed. "How did you know where we were from that answer?" he asks. The pilot replies, "Simple. The answer the man gave was technically accurate but useless. From that, I knew the tower must be the Microsoft offices and then I had my exact location."

Ha!Ha! here is another.
There is a skydiver who's parachute does not open and as he falls he sees a man in the air and manages to grab him.
He says to the man "Do you know anything about parachutes?"
The man says "Do you know anything about gas stoves?"

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 04:25pm 22 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster. I am so sorry I have offended you after you were kind enough to offer me advice. Please accept my apologies. @Andrew_G. Thanks for defending me. You understood that I am not a guru but I was bad mannered.  

Andrew_G said  Hey Grogster - heal boy, heal.

Stan has just noticed that his Avatar describes him as a "Guru" (automatically because of the number of posts). My interpretation is that he is denying that he is.

I too have the same problem - enough posts to elevate me to Guru status when I am nothing more than a plodding lapsed-Civil Engineer.

Cheers (in all senses of the word),

Andrew

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:37am 23 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No offense taken, I'm sorry too.

I was of the opinion that you had suggested I was the person calling you a Guru, and I knew I had not.  That combined with your obvious(now!) sarcasm in the post, made me think you were being snotty.

This is why I love and use smilies so much.
They help greatly to avoid the misunderstanding that can happen with just text.

The forums HAVE had members that go like that, and the only way to deal with them is with a firm hand, and I thought you might have been a candidate based on that post!    

As to the Guru thing, I might flick an email off to Gizmo(the site admin) and ask if there is anything he can do to adjust the post-number vs knowledge-rating kind of thing.  That will be up to him, but I will see what he says.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

phil99

Guru

Posted: 01:25am 23 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"anything he can do to adjust the post-number vs knowledge-rating kind of thing"

Automating the categorization will always be imperfect and doing it manually is likely to upset some with suggestions of bias. Not to mention the extra work.

That said a small improvement on the automated method for the Guru level might include the number of replies and starting threads with less emphasis on total posts.
It would need some trial and error but perhaps a starting point could be 100 threads started + 300 replies.

Someone with a good understanding of statistical analysis could produce a better formula, perhaps based on how many times a name appears in other peoples posts or replies as well as the above.

Some of us have used our avatars to show our knowledge is limited.
Edited 2022-09-23 11:35 by phil99

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 25 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster and @phil99. I used an avatar.

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024