Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:12 23 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Is the Color Maximite 2 Dead?

Page 2 of 5    
Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 03:34am 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  

I think that most (and it was only ever a handful) of the retro-computing fans who the CMM2 brought into the shed (probably via the 8-Bit Guy's video) have now wandered out again

Tom

NOT TRUE, While I'm not Prone to watching the X Bit Guy, That Episode with the CMM2 came across my Screen, and I wanted one, but I missed the boat, and found the Picomite And some Very Supportive and Helpful people  and I got my CMM2 and Love it, but there are really Helpful members 2 Stand outs Lisby and Mixtel90 that have turned my little Picomite vice in to a Habit, and a Special shout out to hitsware2 and Volhout for getting me and she who must be Obeyed our CMM2s, Being the worst Programmer in the world I wish there was more software for the Cmm2. Truth told I spend more time with the Picomites because they are so cheep to build and so far I've killed a few Picos so I don't do much GPIO Stuff with the CMM2 :)
Anyway I still haven't wondered out
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:42am 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Not dead, only sleeping. (We hope!)

Ha-ha!
I like that.  

Yes, I still have it listed on my website, but in a SOLD OUT status.
Once the chips become available again, I will resume selling it.
Unfortunately, latest check says none of those chips available till July next year, and then they only list 100 chips, with another 100 available in September next year, so still essentially another full year before more chips can be had.

The price of the chips have also skyrocketed over what they used to sell for before all this mess.  Double the price in per-unit prices - $50 per chip assuming you order them now, a full year ahead!  

So, we'll have to look at the economics of it when the chips are available again, but despite the price increase, I plan to still offer it once I can again, to just gauge interest.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:05am 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
  Tinine said  ArmMite is my favourite

F4, H7 or L4?

(Are any of them available to buy, though?)

John

Definitely the H7. Speed, I/O and unadulterated  

Craig

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:15am 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lead times:

Not buying it. Sooo many devices are quoting ~one year. So we're suddenly gonna go from nothing to everything in a year...how the hell can that work!

I suspect it's a case of; they really have no clue so just stick a year in there.

Craig

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:16am 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I suspect it's a case of; they really have no clue so just stick a year in there.

I suspect you are probably correct there.
Sadly.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:16am 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said  
  thwill said  

I think that most (and it was only ever a handful) of the retro-computing fans who the CMM2 brought into the shed (probably via the 8-Bit Guy's video) have now wandered out again

Tom

NOT TRUE, ...

No need to shout , I only said "most" and you are a Tail End Charlie with respect to adoption of the CMM2 - but nevetheless glad to have you aboard.

Quote  Anyway I still haven't wondered out

I consider "wondering [sic] out" occasionally, usually when I haven't had enough sleep .

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-09-20 19:24 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 11:41am 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, thanks for all the opinions!

I think Nimue said it best:

So, like I say - come for CMM2, stay for the company.

This is a great group!

-Bill

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said   you are a Tail End Charlie with respect to adoption of the CMM2 - but nevetheless glad to have you aboard.

I consider "wondering [sic] out" occasionally, usually when I haven't had enough sleep .

Best wishes,

Tom

I might be a Tail end Charlie, but remember I'm a Texan, and we may be Slow but we get there Biggles, but in the words of Joe Walsh, " you can check out any time you like, but you can Never leave" :) :) :)

Rick
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

bar1010

Posted: 03:37pm 20 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It has been a long time since I have uploaded a program.  However there is a Chess Puzzles program that is in development, nearly half-way complete.  Currently there are over 800 “Find the best series of moves”  puzzles completed.  Would like to reach 2000 total.
Before that I had began development on a series of three multiple choice quiz programs.  One of these might be 20% complete.
At some point, would like to create a Scrabble program that utilizes the multiple “dictionary” text files that have used in Hangman and Word Search.
Other programs that have have been started, but not completed include Highway (like Freeway), Chess (with non-random moves), Draw Poker, Hearts, Atari Adventure, and Tetris.

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 01:32pm 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bar1010 said  It has been a long time since I have uploaded a program.  However there is a Chess Puzzles program that is in development, nearly half-way complete.  Currently there are over 800 “Find the best series of moves”  puzzles completed.  Would like to reach 2000 total.
Other programs that have have been started, but not completed include Highway (like Freeway), Chess (with non-random moves), Draw Poker, Hearts, Atari Adventure, and Tetris.

Man bar1010, you would be a ledger  if you finished the Chess stuff, a working Chess program on the CMM2 would be Great! the chess program I found for the CMM get real childish and errors out everytime I'm beating it

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:43pm 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is a working version of the TSCP chess program converted for the CMM2 by Martin Round

chess.zip

Here is my attempt at a nice display for chess it takes standard chess notation and makes the moves accordingly. I believe it was complete apart from en-passant.

ChessD.zip

If someone combined the two......
Edited 2022-09-21 23:51 by matherp

andreas

Posted: 06:51pm 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Here is a working version of the TSCP chess program converted for the CMM2 by Martin Round

chess.zip

Here is my attempt at a nice display for chess it takes standard chess notation and makes the moves accordingly. I believe it was complete apart from en-passant.

ChessD.zip

If someone combined the two......

first one has to comment out the RANDOMIZE function when using a newer CMM2 firmware.

then it runs. Will try to combine chess & ChessD  
-andreas

Plasmamac

Guru

Posted: 07:12pm 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I like my Cmm2 and think its not dead only overpriced at the moment. The Picomite vga  is a cheaper alternative and it is available. I developed some cmm2 games but i become healthy problems last months , so i can’t come to an end with development .
Plasma

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 10:29pm 21 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Why not just get a rpi. N64 starfox, much better than the snes version. We had a snes and starfox. Not on a picomite. https://youtu.be/nkeL2H4WFAs

Horses for courses. If you want Very old games to play or try rewriting them to learn not play. End of the day is rpi more suited for games than rpipico?
I have not used picomite vga because I do not see the point.
The lcd version I do see the point.
I realise the effort that has gone into mite vga but from a users view why emulate a TRS80 which at the time cost as much as a bbc micro when the "normal peasants" used a zx spectrum. 16K if they were lucky?

I just use a rpi400 as a tv box mostly but it still is a nice "linux pc"
I use TwisterOS.
It is a pity that freebasic is the only basic.
Edited 2022-09-23 06:41 by stanleyella

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 06:19pm 23 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  

Tom

I can't speak for anyone else, but as a CMM2 guy, I'm still here... lurking.  

To be honest, Covid did an absolute number on my business. For the last two years I've been trying to refocus it on to a sustainable course, and what little spare time I have left over is spent with my family and friends.

But my CMM2 hasn't left my desk, and it sits staring at me accusingly every day.

I can't wait for the time to boot it up again - but I need to concentrate on programming that will actually pay my mortgage  

Incidentally I have an Arduino Portenta H7 (for another project). I don't know if it would be a viable alternative platform for the CMM2?
STM32H747@480Mhz with Chrom-ART Accelerator.
HDMI out is via the USB-C port.

Obviously this would probably be a significant amount of work to convert over to, but my local supplier regularly has 1000+ in stock at any time.

https://store-usa.arduino.cc/products/portenta-h7?selectedStore=us
Edited 2022-09-24 04:22 by PeteCotton

scruss

Posted: 01:38am 24 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  I just use a rpi400 as a tv box mostly but it still is a nice "linux pc"
I use TwisterOS.

There are *many* BASICs for Raspberry Pi, including:

1. BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0

2. Matrix Brandy BASIC

3. Gambas - Gambas Almost Means Basic

4. X11-Basic - GFA BASIC clone

5. SpecBAS

... and I suspect several more.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:14am 24 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  To be honest, Covid did an absolute number on my business. For the last two years I've been trying to refocus it on to a sustainable course, and what little spare time I have left over is spent with my family and friends.

I hear that 100%, and it represents me also - exactly.
I am self-employed and if it weren't for my two anchor clients in the form of retirement villages that always require some form of technical assistance both at management and resident level, my business would not have survived through the lockdowns and the bashing the economy is taking now.

Inflation is now hitting record highs in pretty much EVERY country, as a direct result of the vast sums of money governments spent during the virus.  I won't play the blame-game on that one(everyone has their own opinions on WHY that is), suffice it to say that most countries are in the same boat financially for the same reasons now - global inflation.

It's not good for anyone, and I think things(costs) will get way worse before they get any better.

.....but I digress from the topic of the thread, sorry.

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 03:12pm 24 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

scruss said  
  stanleyella said  I just use a rpi400 as a tv box mostly but it still is a nice "linux pc"
I use TwisterOS.

There are *many* BASICs for Raspberry Pi, including:

1. BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0

2. Matrix Brandy BASIC

3. Gambas - Gambas Almost Means Basic

4. X11-Basic - GFA BASIC clone

5. SpecBAS

... and I suspect several more.

Thanks, new to me. I think freebasic is fine but is new. On win there is fbedit, on rpi I guess use geany. new to me but got command line fb to build and compile gcbasic for linux but that was just an exercise as I use the win pre-built version.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:45am 28 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

The ONLY place I have found that lists the ARM chip for the CMM2 is LCSC

the proverbial Hens Tooth

They are listed as the 480MHz unit. But at $56.37 each plus postage and GST in AUS would put the chip alone at over $100AU.

For that price they can rot on their shelves..

For anyone interested in building their own I have all (well at least most) PCB components except the ARM chip plus I have a few bare PCBs for the Standard CMM2.

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

andreas

Posted: 03:10pm 28 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  Hi All,

The ONLY place I have found that lists the ARM chip for the CMM2 is LCSC

the proverbial Hens Tooth

They are listed as the 480MHz unit. But at $56.37 each plus postage and GST in AUS would put the chip alone at over $100AU.

For that price they can rot on their shelves..

For anyone interested in building their own I have all (well at least most) PCB components except the ARM chip plus I have a few bare PCBs for the Standard CMM2.

Regards,

Mick

https://www.waveshare.com/coreh743i.htm - $69.99

-andreas

Page 2 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024