Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:57 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS release candidates

Page 2 of 5    
Volhout
Guru

Posted: 10:32pm 12 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Kevin,

Can you adjust this from mmbasic?
Repeat rate and repeat delay?

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:41pm 12 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's part of OPTION KEYBOARD
:)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:39am 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick,

That worked. With OPTION KEYBOARD US,0,0,0,0 the game runs perfect. I even like the faster repeat when using the build in editor. Since it is in the non-volatile options, my PicoMiteVGA will use it forever.

Here is RC5 with 99% of Martin's proposed change implemented.
Only had to replace Difficulty=1 again with Diff_level=1

robots_rc5.zip

Regards,

Volhout

Martin H.

Guru

Posted: 09:33am 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I didn't find any significant differences. So for me, RC 5 is the Version, which could be the Final  

Ready in just 3 Mounth
14/09/2023 to 13/12/2023
'no comment

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:45am 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey folks,

If it works, it works, but IMO we should probably be reading directly connected keyboard with ON PS2, possibly (if such a thing works) in parallel with INKEY$ for a potentially attached "console keyboard".

There is code to handle ON PS2 and map from scan codes to something more useful here: https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-sptools/blob/master/src/splib/ctrl.inc and you can see it in use in https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-lazer-cycle.

Notes:

1. In theory it can even handle that Shift-Tab combination for the map ... or at least it could if I'd included the Shift scan-code mappings in my code.
2. Unlike INKEY$ I don't think ON PS2 knows anything about keyboard internationalisation, the scan codes instead refer to physical key locations irrespective of what is printed on them ... I may be wrong.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2023-12-13 19:46 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 10:10am 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Martin,

I'll put RC5 once more through it's paces (=test it), and then make the final changes (remove the cheat keys and the loop time counter).
Then create the release package, and program the SD card.

The Aliexpress components are out for delivery, so this weekend is target for creating the complete package for shipping. Then I will also send a mail to David with the link to your video, and give him heads-up that hardware is shipped.

Hi Tom,

Please take RC5 back to the PICO PETSCII thread and improve. I feel this game can still be optimized more. But with my envisioned schedule, I intend to ship this version for release V1.
I am sure there will be a version V2, with all the controllers and other improvements.

Volhout

P.S. this version handles SHIFT-TAB since the keycode is the same in PicoMiteVGA as TAB. It only does not memorize the last map chosen.
Edited 2023-12-13 20:16 by Volhout

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 10:22am 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Mick,

I have used your construction document and added some to it.
Could you review, and indicate where I missed things, or went wrong ?
Very much appreciated...

PicoMite VGA Basic.zip

Volhout

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:35am 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi @Volhout,

Volhout said  Please take RC5 back to the PICO PETSCII thread and improve. I feel this game can still be optimized more. But with my envisioned schedule, I intend to ship this version for release V1.
I am sure there will be a version V2, with all the controllers and other improvements.

I gathered as much which is why I've stopped posting code and am instead just heckling from the cheap seats . I will certainly be taking another look in the New Year.

Best wishes,

Tom

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:44pm 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nothing glaring, I don't think, Volhout. :) Page 8 has "build" rather than "built", which I think might be better. The schematic gave me a temporary shock (lol) when I saw it in portrait mode, but it's still readable and it doesn't really matter. I can do you a vertical one if you prefer.
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:08pm 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

Habits always get in the way. I am used to vertical schematics since most are drawn in landscape templates.

Just leave it as is. It is fine...

Volhout

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:51pm 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Comes from several years on a manual drawing board, where just about everything was done in landscape because of busbar and control supply systems. :)
Mick

Bleep
Guru

Posted: 06:34pm 13 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Harm,
Do you use the gun with autorepeat to rapid fire?
If so, could you add this change for the Wii Classic controller code please, so that firing will allow auto repeat, its only the Instr line that changes, the rest is just for context.
 ' Suppress auto-repeat except for movement and firing.
 If last$ = read_input$ Then
   If Not Instr("up,down,left,right,fire-up,fire-down,fire-left,fire-right", last$) Then
     read_input$ = ""
     Exit Function
   EndIf
 Else
   last$ = read_input$
 EndIf

I've also noticed, on the LCD version RC5, if I escape out, none of the statistics are now displayed, the screen appears correctly, but with no values?
Regards, Kevin.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:31am 14 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Martin,

I did not like the fact that there is no message in the end screen. After the 6 seconds the music stops, but no message you have to press a key to proceed.

Now you automatically transfer to start menu after 6 seconds.

Kevin: should have fixed your issue also.

robots_rc6.zip

Volhout

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:59am 14 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All,

The schedule is now completely unrealistic. Just received a shipping update from Aliexpress. Delivery of parts is shifted out to end of Januari.
Apparently the shipment has passed Dutch customs, but will not be delivered earlier than this... Probably the shipping contract they have with the logistics company, who can make more money on delivering non-chineese packets. So my shipment moved to the bottom of the stack. Low priority...

And ordering new parts now (even from local distribution at premium price) just 1 week before Christmas, will not help either.

Excuses to all of you who put in some extra effort to make this into a success.
It is not to be..

Volhout
Edited 2023-12-14 18:01 by Volhout

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:42am 14 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Might be for the best @Volhout, if you had posted it to David before Christmas there is more chance it too would have become tangled in the post.

Best wishes,

Tom

IanRogers

Posted: 11:40am 14 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Question aimed at Tom.

I'm building a skeletal controller, joystick and 6 buttons. ( just to play this god damn game)  would I be better with a shift register??? connect to I2C or make a basic "Ye Olde" 9 pin connection?
I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous

Bleep
Guru

Posted: 11:41am 14 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the update, only one problem with LCD, Getting a low level disk error.
Easy fix, remove the ,b from the FrameBuffer Merge in game_end subroutine.
 Text 180,130,DIFF_LEVEL_WORD$(diff_level)
 Play stop:If LCD_DISPLAY Then FrameBuffer Merge 9
 Play modfile path$("music/" + Choice(left_bots, "lose.mod", "win.mod"))
 pause 6000 'sufficient to have 1 win/loose sound

This is being caused by the clash between SD access and doing the background updates, but at this point we don't need a background update. :-)
Regards, Kevin.
PS, I just experimented using a crushed version of the game and it's quite surprising that just removing all the spaces and comments makes such a large difference, at least 10mS in 90 to 100mS, as you noted, so 10%, useful if pushed, but not require in your case. :-)
Edited 2023-12-14 22:01 by Bleep

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:23pm 14 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ian:
If you ever get a *firm* decision please let me know. :)

So far SNES format (with a shift register) appears to be the favourite but will only handle switch contacts. Tom has sorted out how to interface these very nicely. PicoGAME and a couple of my other designs use them. It seems to be standardised on a D9F connector like an Atari joystick. PETSII Robots can use this, I think.

I2C (general) will work with multiple controllers on only 2 pins and can handle analogue as well as digital. In addition the host can configure things on the controller because I2C is bi-directional. However, it's not directly supported in MMBasic. This is what *I* want to use in future because *I* can standardise on the connector too. :) PZ Control uses this.

I2C (WII Classic) is supported in MMBasic on the CMM2 and on the PicoMite so there's no work needed. However the connectors are very difficult to find (I ordered 4 in November and I'm still waiting for them). TBH I think the Classic is probably better with the plug cut off and something else fitted.

MMB4W doesn't support any controllers (AFAIK) so I'm currently playing with programming in Circuit Python so that the controller sends alphanumeric characters and MMB4W sees it as a keyboard.
Mick

IanRogers

Posted: 12:50pm 14 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I believe you can use antimicro for windows app that don't support gamepads.
I know VICE users use it.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/antimicro.mirror/

I'll just get Tom's schematic and use whatever that is..
I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:55pm 14 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

IanRogers said  I'll just get Tom's schematic and use whatever that is..

Que? what schematic ?

What PicoMite VGA are you wanting to interface a controller with ?

For digital joystick and 6 buttons your "obvious" choices are:

- 12-bit shift register (probably 2 x 8-bit chained together), requires 3 GPIO, e.g. SNES
- I2C, e.g. Wii Classic or Mick's controller of the day, this option will also support analog joysticks
- drive 12 GPIO pins directly (Atari joystick does 5, Game*Mite does 8)

The currently distributed PETSCII Robots for PicoMite has Wii Classic support, but not SNES support, easy enough to add, but I don't actually have a working controller ... going to bother @Mixtel90 (or eBay) in the New Year.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2023-12-14 23:02 by thwill

Page 2 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024