Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:55 21 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : hid2cdc - USB keyboard and mouse for picomite VGA

Page 6 of 6    
Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:39pm 22 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice work NoOne !!

Connected it all up with a Pi Zero adapter(micro<->female A), powered from 4 NiMh cells, and it works.
Caps Lock, Num Lock.

- tried hot-plug the hub into the hid2cdc pico -> works
- tried hot-plug keyboard -> works
- tried hot-plug PicoMite -> works
- tried 2 different hubs (USB2) -> both work
- tried playing a game (latency) -> works fine (new high score in Flappy Bird).

Good job. This seems reliable.

Volhout
Edited 2024-01-23 06:41 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 11:22pm 22 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pluto said  with the problem hub: NumLock, CapsLock and ctrl-alt-delete have no effect. No toggling of LEDs. PicoMiteVGA 5.08.00RC4 @252MHz.
With the good hub ctrl-alt-delete restarts PicoMiteVGA and keyboard works OK.

hmm, i am at a bit of a loss to think what it could be. you could disassemble the problem hub and examine it for bad soldering, etc; check that 5-volts is present at the keyboard. even without the picomite plugged in the numlock key and LED should operate.

cheers,
rob   :-)

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 11:52pm 22 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

anyone tried a usb wireless keyboard? they can be tiny

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:30am 23 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Stanletella, All,

YES! Read my post at the end of Page 4.

I first tried using it after a few minutes of charging as it had been sitting in my work kit for 5 1/2 years and the battery (rechargeable Nokia phone type) was totally dead.

It sort of worked after a few minutes of charge but I was getting immediate key repeats.

With a full day charging it works flawlessly, so the problem was my keyboard not HID2CDC

This particular unit cost me around $10AU and has a track pad as well, currently HID2CDC doesn't support a mouse so it currently does nothing.

Regards,

Mick (The Big one)

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:01am 23 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pluto, All,

This is very interesting I decided to test the HUB that I had opened and to my surprise it didn't work with the HID2CDC but it does work fine on my PC with multiple USB sticks.

I decided to `try' to open the working hub and it was TOUGH, I ended up butchering it trying to open it. The working one has a longer moulding into the shell which is why it was so hard to open and all of the electronics are under this moulding.

These 2 HUBS, despite looking identical externally, are different.

The working one has a non branded chip and it is a SOIC rather that TSSOP.

This is a bit of a downer as I have actually ordered some of the SL2.1S chips to `play with' and have already tried a few layout ideas.

I am sorry Pluto but it looks like yours is the same as my non working hub. The good news is there are a million different types out there and they should be cheap as we do not need any faster than USB1.1 or USB2.

Kind Regards,

Mick (The Big one)

Pluto
Guru

Posted: 07:43am 23 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can confirm, my non-working hub is ~exactly the same as bigmick's non-working hub. Text on mine is BMT 2342. BMT 2343 on bigmick's hub. Suppose it is the manufacturing date (2023 week 42 and 43).

Fortunately I have at least one good hub for the PicoMiteVGA application. The bad one seems however to be good for other, more general, applications.

Pluto

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:04am 23 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pluto, All,

I went back through my orders and found the original one that I bought and ordered a couple more to try them.
Temu is a collection of different sellers so they possibly sell different clones.

The working (now repaired and working again) unit appears to have a HS8836A (all markings sanded off the chip) usb HUB controller, based on reverse engineering the pinouts. This chip is not available from the usual mainstream suppliers including LCSC but is available from Ali. I have bought a few to play with.

I wonder if the code in HID2CDC that talks to the HUB is expecting, for example USB 1.1 and the non working chip is USB2.0 or something else. It has been proven that both hubs work on a PC.

@Rob,
Any ideas?

Regards,

Mick

EDIT***

Is there any way to determine what the hub standard is detected as on a PC?

Edited 2024-01-23 19:06 by bigmik

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:54am 23 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  Is there any way to determine what the hub standard is detected as on a PC?

Maybe Windows Device Manager or such will say.

dmesg (journalctl -b etc) will say on Linux, or better yet use
lsusb -vvv

(each -v adds verbosity, 3 will be too many!)

John

Pluto
Guru

Posted: 06:59pm 24 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found some old USB-hub chips and decided to build a hub from scratch for testing with the HID2CDC software. After many attempts and resoldering I got it to work:
-as a normal USB-hub and
-as a functional hub for the HID2CDC keyboard.  

It is based on TI's old chip TUSB2046B (About 2€/chip from AliExpress)

The prototype looks like this:

Built on basis of what is said in the datasheet and adjusted by info from other sources on the net. A key issue to get it working was to connect the reset to R-C reset circuit with 15 kohm + 1uF. (Struggling a lot before I got this right).

I have omitted all extras of the chip capabilities. No overcurrent controls for the outputs, no external EEPROM. Don't know if the protection/termination resistors and capacitors are "necessary". Without these it would be a bit less complicated.
Required: TUSB2046, 3.3V regulator (+2*4.7uF), 15k, 1.5K and 1uF cap.

Quite complicated compared to what we have seen inside the cheap hubs earlier in this thread.

Pluto

Pluto
Guru

Posted: 07:00pm 24 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Forgot to mention the 6MHz xtal with 2*22pF caps.
Pluto

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:38pm 24 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pluto, All,

I have been playing with a possible layout idea.

My thought process is to have the HID2CDC in a small box external to the Pico/CMM2 etc.

The Pico/CMM2 will be powered off the HID2CDC box (USB cable to one of the USB-A ports of the HID2CDC).

Power is to be supplied by a 2.1mm 5Vdc (ONLY 5Vdc, no regulator etc) plugpack/wall wart. When the Pico/CMM2 needs to be updated then simply unplug the USB from the HID2CDC and plug it into a PC.

It is still a work in progress and I am exploring my options still, the biggest issue is accessing the D+ and D- pads on the underside of the Pico on the HID2CDC board but Rob and I have a few ideas on how to achieve that.

Kind Regards,

Mick (The Big One)

EDIT ***
The Number of R/A pins show is just an indicator, there may be more or less depending on how the HID2CDC ends up and what GPIO it supports.

Edited 2024-01-25 08:41 by bigmik

Page 6 of 6    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024