Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:55 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Old Dunlite Wind Generator

Page 3 of 4    
dwyer
Guru

Posted: 06:16am 06 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Charlie
l do agree with Robb over tower mounting look that you using 3 mm plate and support frames is to small and too short maybe you might overlook your design. maybe should go on 6 or 8 mm steel plate will help?

Dwyer

GWatPE

Posted: 08:21am 06 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

I have to agree with Dwyer and Robb re the attachment you have shown a pic of. An indication of the flange thickness required is given by the flange on the Nacelle. Ideally a similar thickness on the tower would be on the money.

The mounting you have shown would be fine however on a test pole outside your workshop, that would be used to support the mill for checking blade balance etc..

These older wind turbines are nostalgic and it would be a shame if the flange failed and it all ended at the tower base.

Good luck with your efforts.

Gordon.

Edited by GWatPE 2010-10-07
become more energy aware

b351267

Posted: 08:48am 06 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looks can be deceiving, the pipe is medium gauge steel, also the mounting flange is gusseted and the whole thing professionally welded and hot dipped galvanised. The tower is also very light, it is just an old antenna tower but the way it is guyed allows it to flex a certain amount relieving much of the strain at the mounting. I am used to working with aircraft structures where things are light but strong. you will however also notice the chain 'just in case'.......
Don

There is always a 'Plan B'.

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:08pm 06 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Don first for all sorry for spelling wrong name so anyway back to the mounting flange is gusseted so l am afraid doesn’t sound right to me so this use tower design for antenna however you got beauty Dunlight wind generator carried more weight than antenna sitting thin steel plate with chain hoping will not come off including welded to pipe and if this fail and snap off and risk a lot of damage to Dunlight so why take the risk if l were you is replace thicker steel material and workshop quality done properly is peace of mind same to Dunlight wind generator
hope that make sence.

Dwyer

Frango

Posted: 10:12pm 15 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great thanks to WINDY for your info in the quote below.
Your info will tell me what it is and maybe(??)get it rewound for 48V if it is 32V.
Dont remember seeing this kind of info in my handbooks that will be dug up soon.

I'm planning to resurect an old Dunlite I've had for 30 years.
Noticed the smaller gears are quite worn. (2 inches dia.)

Frango

Windy said   6351267

AS TAKEN FROM MY DUNLITE MANUALS
The easiest way to identify your generator
Model M has 5/16 woodruff key and 3 wire terminals ....Model L has a 1/4 inch woodruff key and three wire terminals... model 750 watt has a 1/4 inch woodruff key and 2 wire terminals...
Edited by Frango 2010-10-17

b351267

Posted: 01:46am 16 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The following may also help, it is all contained in previous posts on this topic.

The Model L and the 750 watt gearboxs have a 3.5:1 ratio (Mine is an L) The Model M gearbox has a 5:1 ratio. The 750 watt unit has it’s fields windings accumulative compound connected and does not require a voltage regulator. The models L and M have their field windings shunt connected via a voltage regulator.

Resistances for the model L are as follows:
32 volt machine: Field 27 ohms
Armature 0.4 ohms
48 volt machine: Field 50 ohms
Armature 0.6 ohms

Measure the armature resistance directly on the 180 degree opposing segments on the commutator, not at the brushes.

Suggest also that you check out the Pearen site:
http://www.pearen.ca/dunlite/Dunlite.htm

Don

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 02:19am 16 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

General Question

Anyone know what the three little red weights are for?

At first, they reminded me of the weights on the Jacobs wind turbines, which actuated their controllable-pitching mechanism, but on closer examination of both the photos and that hand-drawn dimensional picture, I can't see how they'd work to accomplish twisting the blades, let alone doing it synchronously.

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

windlight
Guru

Posted: 04:12am 16 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mac they are the weights for the centrifugal governor, look around here http://www.pearen.ca/dunlite/Dunlite.htm

one of the biggest problems with the Dunlite governing system in my observation is that those weights were held to the blade shaft by an aluminum clamp, which occasionally broke, resulting in massive out of balance and tower down syndrome.

allan
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 04:49am 16 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

windlight

Thanks. I looked through the site, but found no schematic as to how it worked except something explaining the torque. I still don't see how three independently-pitch-governed blades would work together in unison; maybe they don't, I dunno.

At any rate, thanks for the reply.

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

Frango

Posted: 12:57pm 16 Oct 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all Dunlite enthusiasists.
Craig Pearens info page is great and I emailed him with the info below but since he has had spam problems, his address doesnt exist.
I hope Craig sees this, OK but surely someone can give this to him to help one another?
This is what was returned to me.

Cheers
Frango
Hi Craig Very well done your manuals I found on your web site. You say that page 2 and 3 are missing on the 32V 750watt manual. I have that one and I can assure you that those pages are exactly the same as the L & M manual. I have that one too but I still checked against your pages. Cheers Frango

Jarelbee

Posted: 12:50pm 02 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the factory the balancing of blades was done on the hub mounted on a platform in a draft free area of the factory. The blades were allowed to find their own balance with the heaviest one always ending up at the bottom. The lichtest blade would always find the highest point. pieces of sheet metal would be inserted into a not yet spot welded section towards the tip on the skin. This proceedure was repeated until when the hub was rotated it would not stop in the same place each time. This was a very crude but effective method of static balancing. When the blades were in a state of balance they would be taken back to the sheet metal dept and the balance weights spot welded in place. (when I first started working at Dunlite in 1971 at the old original Frome Street Adelaide factory they had an enormous evaporative air conditioning system developed by Lloyd Dunn and mid summer there was almost a rebellion whenever prop blades were balanced as the A/C had to be turned off).
14 years at "Dunlite" last 7 running the wind driven generator section.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:04pm 02 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats a interesting story Jarelbee, its good to hear from people who actually built the Dunlites. Thanks for sharing.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Jarelbee

Posted: 03:29am 03 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is almost the same as my old favorite saying.... Patience.... Perseverance and a four pound hammer.
Happy to help where I can with any info I can drag up on the old dunlite stuff... been a long time now since (1985) and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

Jarelbee

Posted: 04:01am 03 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MacGyver said   windlight

Thanks. I looked through the site, but found no schematic as to how it worked except something explaining the torque. I still don't see how three independently-pitch-governed blades would work together in unison; maybe they don't, I dunno.

At any rate, thanks for the reply.

. . . . . Mac

The individual propellor blade shafts are controlled as a group by a small lever protuding at right angles from each shaft towards the centre of the hub. (shafts are tangential to the centre of the hub)

These lever arms have a wheel on the inner tip. The wheels locate in a groove in the movable (sliding) central governor.

The sliding governor is located on the central (fixed) spindle of the hub and pre tensioned by a adjustable spring protruding to the front of the hub. (the governor is also dampened by minature oil filled shock absorbers)

Each Blade shaft when the blades are fitted has a counterweight fitted in an offset manner.

The centrifugal counterweights react when the revolutions reach a set speed, causing the blade shafts to rotate (as a group) controlled by the 3 lever arms with the wheels in the groove of the central sliding governor.

This causes the blades to feather, controlling the maximum speed.

This design was the result of research carried out by Lloyd Dunn and Pat Robilliard (Robbies Arial Services).

Dragonfly

Posted: 05:32am 03 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Jarelbee,

I have recently bought a damaged Dunlite "Model L" with the intention to restore it. The generator itself is in rather good shape thanks to its robust design and built. Unfortunately, the three propeller shafts are bent due to a massive fall from height. Only two of the three governor weights are in my possession.

After drowning the pitch control hub in WD40 overnight, and followed up by persistent, sometimes brutal, hammer work, I have managed to free the shafts from the hub. The aluminium propeller base is firmly attached, almost welded to the steel shafts. I want to separate it from the steel shafts before the shafts can be straightened, presumably by heat treatment. With your vast working experience with the Dunlites, what do I need to do to separate them.

Thank you
Waste not...

Jarelbee

Posted: 05:51am 03 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dragonfly said   Hello Jarelbee,

I have recently bought a damaged Dunlite "Model L" with the intention to restore it. The generator itself is in rather good shape thanks to its robust design and built. Unfortunately, the three propeller shafts are bent due to a massive fall from height. Only two of the three governor weights are in my possession.

After drowning the pitch control hub in WD40 overnight, and followed up by persistent, sometimes brutal, hammer work, I have managed to free the shafts from the hub. The aluminium propeller base is firmly attached, almost welded to the steel shafts. I want to separate it from the steel shafts before the shafts can be straightened, presumably by heat treatment. With your vast working experience with the Dunlites, what do I need to do to separate them.

Thank you

I would say that heat treatment would be the best way to go as the expansion rate of aluminium is far greater than that of the steel shafts. we used to use a crayon to mark the aluminium with before heating it (thermochrome I think) it changed colour well before the aluminium reached melting point. I am not sure of the temperature we used now as it has been at least 25 years since I was involved with them... Just take it easy and see how it goes... we used to use an LPG tourch to do this task.. I hope that will help you

"DO NOT QUENCH THE ALUMINIUM IN WATER TO COOL IT AS IT WILL CRYSTALISE AND DISTORT"

Dragonfly

Posted: 06:41am 03 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Jarelbee,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. One of the aluminium blade bases was already damaged by the fall. Its governor weight attachment was sheared off. I am thinking of ...
1. Discarding the aluminium bases altogether,
2. Building a set of wooden blades attached to a set of blade base similar to the ones built by member Fillm here.
3. Since I only have two of the three governor weights, I may need to build a new set using some heavy pipes equivalent to the weight of the originals.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated by me.

Thank you again.

Waste not...

windlight
Guru

Posted: 09:00pm 04 Sep 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dragonfly,

The third weight broke in service at the aluminum clamp and flew away never to be found, the resultant imbalance brought the whole tower down all 40' of it.

For what it is worth I recommend retaining the aluminum blade bases, I know this will require some perseverance but it be rewarded in the long run.

Replicating the original weight would be a better option than making pipe ones, the distance each part of the weight is from the center and their blade shaft affects the governing, although having said that I suspect the adjustment on the spring may adequately compensate.

My recommendation was to replace the aluminum clamps that hold these weights.

Allan
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

Madness

Guru

Posted: 11:46am 11 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This thread brings back some memories, I had a 1500 watt Dunlite. Only problem was the rollers in the end of the forks in the governor system kept flogging out due to turbulence. Even though it was up an 80 foot tower it was hit with an updraft through the trees. In the photo the trees to right where the problem the big one on the left was well below the generator.

The photo was taken with 15 second exposure about 30 minutes after sunset.

Edited by Madness 2011-10-12
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

b351267

Posted: 11:59pm 04 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sadly my Dunlite model L is no more, snapped a guy wire today and the whole lot came crashing down! Damage is pretty catastrophic, about the only thing that survived unscathed was one blade and the dynamo itself. I have no desire to try to source parts and repair it so the remains are available to anybody who can use them, the sooner I don't have to see it anymore the better.... Don.

Please note that you would have to pick it up from Geelong.

Edited by b351267 2014-01-06
Don

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024