Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:03 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Piclog over the net.

Page 2 of 5    
windman1000

Posted: 03:16am 18 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I run my cable router and my switch gear plus the HPe-pc and the 12" monitor from my batteries and I also have a cheap 400 watt ebay grid tie that is hook up to the mill side with diode to battery side so i can always put any extra power back into the house,
if there is exsess power made my dump is to 2 cheap grid ties so it dumps from batteries and mill to house at about 1000 watts for 5-10 minutes'

GWatPE

Posted: 06:16am 18 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

Re placement of graphs in the browser. All the graphs are the same time interval. I think it would be best for comparisons that all the graphs are the same width, and arranged vertically. Any additional graphs can then be easily added to as a list.

Until I get an anemometer, I am going to send out the RPM as windspeed. My windmill tracks the winspeed quite well, so this should be quite easy to calibrate. Will make better use of the graphs on screen as well.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

GWatPE

Posted: 01:28am 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

I have modified Pete's piclog hardware, to measure the windmill rectified AC phase voltage, and AC phase current, so the windmill power is more accurately represented, similar to what would result from a GTI boost converter type windmill.

The voltage will range from 0-70V or so in my case. instead of the 51-53V as seen so far.

This mod will have impact on any users that wish to monitor the windmill with Pete's hardware as well. It would be best if the software was as universal as possible I think.

I hope a few more get to put their windmill/other systems online.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

windman1000

Posted: 06:22am 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hmm maybe your doing something to page code or database, im getting error pageon right side of the piclog, il let stay running and check it in the morning

windman1000

Posted: 06:23am 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

opps now its working ok again sorry

windman1000

Posted: 01:24pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It seems to of stop sending data @ 23:52 last night or recieveing it on your side,even thow the Piclogs right side window saids data saved, i rebooted and waited the 10 minutes and the piclog window said data saved again but i dont see it on your side, almost like it hasnt reset for new day data window.

Gordon as for the meters , yes i want to get back to that but i havnt had the time lately , as soon as i have more time il try to make the meters work off the check boxes in setup screen.

windman1000

Posted: 01:35pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

found the problem, i had to change the dates manualy in day1 and day2 and it was posting all the data from last night to now.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:35pm 19 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys

Windman, yeah I need to add a little code to handle the time zone difference. By default it displays data for todays and yesterdays dates, local server time. But the server is several hours ahead of your time, so at some times of the day it will be displaying yesterdays and the day befores data, and like you see, yesterdays data finished just before midnight.

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2010-07-26
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

AMACK

Posted: 12:56am 20 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn and Gordon,
I would like to put my hand up to send data from my mill if there is any room left. I have not go it up and running yet but will have shortly. It will be one of Phill's mill with Gordons cap set up on it with Pete's logger. It will be on a 45 foot tower that will go to 82 foot with the turn of the winch in a high wind area.
I hope that there will be no objections to the mill I am using? I will be putting the F&P back up next to it to compare there out puts.

GORDON,, Pete sent me a copy of the logger program you wrote and it is nice work. I was using it with Pete's piclogger but I had to sent it back as I stuffed it up some were in construction and Pete is going to try to fix it up for me. ( thanks Pete )

AMACKEdited by AMACK 2010-07-21
*Note to self

1. Make it thick

2.Make it heavy.

3.Make it stronger than it should be.

4. Don't rush the first job as the second job will cost more and take mor

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:35am 20 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is a updated version with the averaging bug that Gordon found now fixed.

2010-07-20_112840_PicLog_Ver_1-5a-beta.zip

Notes for anyone wanting to try this update.....

I suggest you make a backup of your existing PicLog directory first, this new version will make some changes to the calibration settings that might upset the old PicLog if you try to run it later. I would also write down the calibration settings too, as this new one wont read in a couple of values from the old file.

Other than that, everything should be ok. Once its running, go into the Program Setup screen, a few changes, but most obvious is down the bottom. Tick the "Log to internet server box", and enter the Log ID and Pin that is provided by me.

Save and the screen will open up to display the browser window, give it a second and you should get a message from thebackshed.com to say you have connected. If the Pin or ID is wrong it will tell you.

AMACK, your welcome to join the testers. I'll send you a PM later with a log ID and Pin number.

Now I need to do some paid work, will get back to this later.

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:08pm 20 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've made a small change to the com code, would be interested to see if this fixes the com freezes. I'm using the watt hours timer as a watchdog, if there hasn't been any valid data on the serial port for 5 seconds, the watchdog will reset the com port routine. I cant make it lock up no matter how hard I try, but I'm sure others will find a way to break it

2010-07-20_230235_PicLog_Ver_1-5b-beta.zip

On the web site, I've added the ability to edit your own records. Once you get to the main report ( the graphs ), near the top you can enter you Log ID and pin. You can then go to the detailed records page ( the magnify glass ) and edit any of the records, and add comments.

JAQ

niall1

Posted: 01:24pm 20 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi glenn

i,ll give it a go as well if thats ok...
niall

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:01pm 21 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Niall

I've sent you a PM and email with you log in details. Let me know if you have any problems.

Hey AMACK

Did you receive you Log ID and Pin?

Hey Gordon

Thanks for the phone call.

Hey everyone else.

Had a chat to Gordon on the phone tonight and he's shon some light on what's causing his PicLog to error where mine wont. The thing with writing software, is you can make it work exactly the way you want it to. Problem is other uses might expect it to work in a slightly different way. In this case a little bit of code I wrote to stop the program crashing when it tries to open a empty record, can cause it to crash if the Graph screen is refreshed as the PicLog is saving a new record. In normal use, the error is highly unlikely to ever happen, but if you have a fast logging rate, and keep refreshing the graph display, then the chances of it crashing are much more likely. This was something unexpected, but its what writing software is about, learning how others will use your software. This has been a problem since version 1.2, basically from day one.

I'll update the PicLog code this weekend. The current version is fine to use, just dont go giving the graphing screen a hard time.

Glenn

JAQ

niall1

Posted: 10:14pm 21 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Glenn

i set up the latest pic version on a new user profile on xp and logged in
sure enough the data started showing up and i,ve been watching the report readings with interest, particularly the voltage as this has been very closely calibrated off the tristar........and the readings seem very solid

its very surreal looking at the mill working on a rainy evening in the west off ireland and seeing its data recorded in Australia

i,ve never been to Oz......but i never thought the mill would have gone on a visit.......

Edited by niall1 2010-07-23
niall

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:49pm 07 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been thinking about rewriting the PicLog code in a different dialect of basic. The PicLog code ( the PC software, not the PicAxe software ), was written in VB6 because I use VB6 myself, and its one of the best programming languages out there. Unfortunately VB6 is a commercial program, and no longer available to buy. As I want the PicLog to be a teaching tool, I would like a version of Basic thats free, easy to use, and compact. Anyone who is interested should be able to download a copy of the PicLog code, and a copy of the BASIC language used to develope it, and then experiment to their hearts content. Using a free version of BASIC will also make it easier to share your code with others.

So I've been looking for a replacement. There a dozens of different BASIC dialects out there, all with their own good and bad points. The obvious choice was to upgrade to VB.net, Microsofts replacement for VB6. I've tried to use VB.net on several occasions, and always give up in disgust. The reason VB6 for applications, and ASP for web applications ( like this very forum ) use 10 year old software is it works so well and Microsofts replacment is rubbish. I did start on a PicLog version in VB2008, but when I copied the compiled program to the laptop connected to the logger, it refused to run and wanted me to install a 60Meg .Net3.5SP1 update! Forget it.

I also looked at some basic BASIC versions that were basically upgrades to the popular QB4.5 from the 1990's. QB64 and FreeBasic are compatible with QB.45 syntax, but I wasn't 100% happy with their IDE's.

What about a VB6 clone? Jabaco was impressive, friendly interface similar to VB6, and the programmes you write are compiled into pure Java, which means they will run on any computer running JAVA ( including Linux ). Unfortunatley Jabaco is still in development, and Java is terrible when it comes to interfacing with the PC's hardware. When the software's author describes com port access as "flaky", then you know its time to look elsewhere. But I'll keep an eye on Jabaco, I think its got real potential.

There are several excelent commercial BASIC dialects out there including Power Basic and Liberty Basic, but these cost money. Liberty Basic does have a smaller sibling called "Just BASIC". Just BASIC is designed as a teaching tool, compatible with Liberty Basic, but doesn't include a compiler, so you cant use it to create stand alone applications. But, if you have Just BASIC installed on the computer, a Just BASIC program will run just like a standard executable! The Just BASIC program is small, only about 2.4 Meg, so its easy to install and run your own programs on old hardware. If you did want to create stand alone executables, the full blow version of Libery Basic is less than $100 AUD.

Just BASIC was looking promising, but will it talk to the com port, and can it send data over the internet? Short answer, YES!

Glenn
JAQ

graynomad

Posted: 12:00pm 08 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I too would like a replacement for VB6, despite some limitations it was about the right level of complexity for reasonable-sized projects.

I tried VB.net 2003 and gave up, just too frustrating. Recently I tried VB 2008 and have to say that it's very good, you can ignore most of the crap and just use it like VB6 on steriods. BUT, it's proprietary, huge, and non-portable. In short it's a 400-pound gorilla when most of us just need a chimpanzee.

So I'm very interested to see what you decide on, I didn't know about Jabaco and I also will be keeping an eye on it. I think the only hardware I would ever need to access is a USB/COM port so surely they can get that sorted.

Is Just BASIC a full GUI environment like VB6? From what I can see it has none of those GUI features.

Rob

Edited by graynomad 2010-08-09
Rob Gray, AKA the Graynomad, www.robgray.com

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:17am 09 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just BASIC can be used to create forms like VB6, though its a more hands on approach. You can have several forms open at once, each doing their own thing, like this example...

There is a free program called FreeForm thats a GUI form designer for Just BASIC. FreeForm is even written in Just BASIC!

FreeForm will generate the code to copy/paste into your Just BASIC program. This code will create the form above.

nomainwin

WindowWidth = 440
WindowHeight = 395

UpperLeftX=int((DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2)
UpperLeftY=int((DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2)

statictext #main.statictext1, "Test Window", 26, 16, 144, 20
textbox #main.textbox2, 134, 61, 100, 25
button #main.button3, "Go", [button3Click], UL, 238, 61, 32, 25
statictext #main.statictext4, "Enter Value", 62, 66, 144, 20
open "untitled" for window as #main
print #main, "trapclose [quit.main]"

print #main, "font ms_sans_serif 10"
print #main.statictext1, "!font MS_Sans_Serif 12 bold"

The more I play with the software the more I like it. I've writte a test program that receives PicLog data and sends it over the internet.

FreeForm-j can be downloaded from here., Just BASIC is available from here.

Glenn
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 02:56pm 09 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is a nice pair of software. I will try them.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:40pm 09 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is an example of a little program to calculate swept area. Very basic stuff at this stage.

nomainwin

WindowWidth = 312
WindowHeight = 195

UpperLeftX=int((DisplayWidth-WindowWidth)/2)
UpperLeftY=int((DisplayHeight-WindowHeight)/2)

statictext #main.statictext1, "Inside Diameter", 38, 21, 96, 20
statictext #main.statictext2, "Outside Diameter", 30, 51, 104, 20
button #main.button6, "Calculate", [CalculateArea], UL, 142, 76, 104, 25
statictext #main.statictext7, "Swept Area", 62, 111, 72, 20
statictext #main.statictext9, "m", 246, 21, 144, 20
statictext #main.statictext10, "m", 246, 51, 144, 20
statictext #main.statictext11, "m2", 246, 111, 144, 20
textbox #main.SweptArea, 142, 106, 100, 25
textbox #main.OutsideDiameter, 142, 46, 100, 25
textbox #main.InsideDiameter, 142, 16, 100, 25

open "Blade Swept Area" for window as #main
print #main, "font ms_sans_serif 10"

[main.inputLoop]
wait

[quit.main]
Close #main
END

[CalculateArea]
print #main.OutsideDiameter, "!contents? OutsideDiameter";
print #main.InsideDiameter, "!contents? InsideDiameter";
OutsideDiameterArea=(OutsideDiameter/2)^2 * 3.14
InsideDiameterArea=(InsideDiameter/2)^2 * 3.14
SweptArea=OutsideDiameterArea-InsideDiameterArea
print #main.SweptArea, SweptArea
wait

produces this little app

Now for the harder stuff.

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2010-08-11
JAQ

graynomad

Posted: 12:12am 10 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Strange syntax, I gather that (for example)

Tells the main form to assign a function called "quit.main" to the close event.

button #main.button6, "Calculate", [CalculateArea], UL, 142, 76, 104, 25

Defines a button and assigns the function "CalculateArea" to it's pressed event.

Rob Gray, AKA the Graynomad, www.robgray.com

Page 2 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024