Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:46 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Turbine Performance

Page 3 of 4    
Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:45pm 09 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Gordon. It appears the caps in my experimental set up are 10 times too small
Could you tell me what voltage rating your caps are? My battery bank is also 24V.
Klaus

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 04:28pm 03 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's the next chunk ...

Wind Doctor part3

DanielCV

Posted: 10:44pm 09 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I just found this project which impressed me very much, as I am trying to do things in the same direction as Derek.

In the first place, some questions, later I hope to be able to actively participate in this project but I am still starting, so letīs go practical...

1- Where can I download the needed software ? ( I did not find any link here...)

2- Would it be possible to add another logging channel to log stator temp ?
I have a KTY84-130 temp sensor inside my stator I would like to use for this purpose.

3- Is it possible to use my Vortex Anemometer from Inspeed ?

4 - Which sensors do I need and how to connect them (rpm, volts & amps) ?
Edited by DanielCV 2011-05-11

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 07:23pm 10 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daniel

1) free downloads of programs from link on youtube videos (info) - just click

2) Anything is possible ... but currently No - would need software mod and additional hardware channel(s) added

3) Yes

4) See 'wind doctor' videos 1 & 2 - all expalined

Have Fun

DanielCV

Posted: 09:08pm 10 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Derek,

thanks for help ! Watched the videos again, and no I saw answers to my questions :)

Downloaded all files, and now will order the LM3S6965 micro evaluation kit + sensors from UK.

Any idea how point 2) can be solved ? Could you point me in the right direction where I should start ?

Best regards,
DanielEdited by DanielCV 2011-05-12

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 08:26am 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daniel

I suppose it depends on your background (skill set) - mechanical, electronics, software etc.

2) software for wind doctor assets isn't open source yet - but I've been considering an update for multiple extra analog channels that could be specified by the user - so your application would be typical. If you get into it (wind doctor + microcontroller) then we can discuss a way forward later.

4) The wind doctor is designed so that you can use whatever hardware you want - that best suits your installation (speed, volts, amps).

So for me (video 2 @ approx 8 min point) - both shaft rpm and DIY anemometer use hall sensor Allegro A3245
For you - inspeed anemometer and another reed switch or a hall switch etc.
The interface is a digital pulse -> software counts these and calcs speed using your turbine's config and calibration (you input these via UI).

Volts (volt sense circuit) - I use a simple voltage divider (2 resistors)
Amps (current sense circuit) - I use MAX4080 IC - you can use whatever method you prefer - analog circuit etc for the voltage/current applicable for your system.

The scale factors for volts & current circuits are input by you into the UI, so is completely configurable by you.

To start :
a) need microcontroller eval kit from LMI/TI
b) download 2 programs (firmware for microcontroller and PC executable) from my share site
c) download the firmware to your microcontroller (using free downloader from LMI site)
d) connect your inspeed anemometer wire to one of the 3 speed pins (digital) of microcontroller (see video) - configure using the UI on PC
e) run eUI executable on PC/laptop
f) display graphs of your windspeed
g) have a beer

DanielCV

Posted: 10:25am 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Derek,

I am so sorry, there was a typing error on my last message - I wanted to say "NOW" instead of "NO". So thanks again for repeating the informations.

I think I would like to start first with the setup you have already, but I will have some little questions still...

First to say, I have some little programming backround, but only PHP and ASP langauges. No desktop programming still...
My electronics backround is very basic, so also not much to do here unfortunately, but I will try to learn as much as I can.

So my questions:

1- On the site, v1 of windturbine is not downloadable, so I assume it is better to use only v2, even if I do not want to use the MPPT functions added in v2 ?

2- For the Inspeed anemometer, I hope it has a similar output as the Allegro 3245 ?

3- The allegro is available as: A3245ELHLT-T , A3245EUA-T or A3245LUA-T - which should I take ?

3- The MAX4080 I could order in the following versions, which should I take ?
MAX4080SASA+ or MAX4080TASA+
Also: How to connect the IC to the resistor, maybe you could draw a little circuit for me ?

point g) - very important !!

Best regards,

DanielCV

Posted: 11:11am 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another thing:

Would it be possible to run the lm3s6965 as standalone battery-driven logging onto the SD card and later connecting to PC to read data ?

Would this possible with 4x1,2V batteries connected to the USB connector ? Or any other ways ?

The inspeed anemometer has only data available: 1 pulse per rotation 2.5 mph per Hz

Best regards,

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 01:21pm 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daniel

1) correct

2) uses reed switch - sends out a pulse for every rotation - so it's the same as using a hall switch with 1 magnet. Others have used ok. Just check the tech blurb for your model of anemometer, but should be fine.

3) I used this one ok hall sensor

4) Best to get one of each MAX4080

The difference is only the GAIN - which will be dependent on size of your sense resistor - typically 1 mOhm -> 10 mOhm (yes thats milli Ohm) - so get a couple of different values of resistor as well (specially made for sensing so are very accurate). e.g.
current sense resistor

There's a circuit diagram for use of MAX4080 on their datasheet, and there's a good table showing different combinations of GAIN and sense resistor size and the output voltage produced. REMEMBER for our microcontroller max volts for ADC is 3V (do not exceed this) - so volts output from MAX4080 (full scale output V) is 0 -> 3V. The output from the MAX4080 is connected to one of the 4 ADC pins of the microcontroller.

Also note that the MAX4080 is VERY small, so you'll need a mini adaptor pcb to use it. See accessories on same page as the IC.

5) That's what you're supposed to do. The laptop is ONLY a display, just connect it when you want to view stuff. The microcontroller does all of the work collecting data and talking to your turbines and anemometers.

6) Power for the microcontroller is via mini USB cable (5V) - so can run this off a separate supply or battery - a typical 12V -> 5V power supply.

7) The microcontroller has a 5V supply and grounds - so can use these to drive the hall sensors (5V, GND, signal).

DanielCV

Posted: 02:01pm 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Derek,

thanks again for your great help.

1- The linked Hall sensor is not available anymore at farnell, and that is the shop were I intend to buy all things.

So could you indicate me which available you recommend for me ?

2- Also, which magnets should I use ? Any hint ? Could not find any in farnell shop...

3- The resistor you linked, is only available from USA... is there any similar ? Also, it shows itīs rated for 2 Watts... is this a problem ?
Maybe this one could work also ?

I think, then I have all I need to start ? I live in Africa, so missing pieces would mean a lot of time waiting... if you have to suggest something further I need. (I have only soldering tools here, no other specific stuff)

So I can order now, and hopefully start measuring my selfmade windturbine.
(aprox. 600 Watts, Hugh Piggot 2.4m rotors and self made Axial Flux coreless generator, same type as the one you have in your videos)

Best regards,
DanielEdited by DanielCV 2011-05-13

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 04:18pm 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daniel

1) this seems to be the choice omnipolar hall sensors

Note the different voltage supply requirements - there is a 3V supply on microcontroller eval kit, so all should be ok. Get a few.

2) I used this site for magnets - good service for me magnets

You'll always need a lot more than you think.

3) Just looked at Farnell - and most seem to be US stock - disappointing. The one you selected looks ok - need to make sure you can solder it somehow, and it can take the current specific to your system. But it's expensive - can't offer a better alternative though.

Just make sure you get at least 2 or 3 of all of the small components, because you'll probably kill some along the way. Although that may have something to do with my soldering capabilities.

You'll need a voltage regulator 5V (plus capacitors) for the microcontroller usb power supply. A breadboard or stripboard for your circuits, plus wire (various colours - red/black ...), a few standard resistors of various values for your voltage divider etc. Nothing drastic, but you do need all these bits, if you haven't got them lying around. Also multistrand cable to connect your hall sensors to breadboard (however far the electronic bits are from the wind turbine itself).

Could you give a link to your project - specific details of the build etc - have you posted it in another link here?

DanielCV

Posted: 04:39pm 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Derek,

1) so for the Hall sensor, I can take .this one ?

2) I will look for similar magnets as in your provided link.

3) Relating to the resistor, if the one I linked is ok, but 3W ... I am not sure if the total current of the generator is going through this resistor ? My generator would give out a max. of about 40A on 24V on high speed winds. It seems to me that this resistor will not stand this current (depending on how itīs connected) ?

4) My project is still not published as I was waiting to get (better) measurements, and logs. For now I have some photos of anemometer readings together with Amps readings... however I am preparing a homepage where I will publish all the work done so far. I will post it as soon as itīs readyEdited by DanielCV 2011-05-13

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 07:09pm 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daniel

Well there's the good news and the bad news.

1) No - bad news -> check the datasheet and you'll see the reason it's low power - it goes to sleep a lot (45 -> 90ms). So it could miss pulses - only good for slow rpm.

A3213 looks ok (not A3214) - but is awaiting delivery in SIP package

Is available in SMD - will need a mini pcb to solder it to. Might make mounting a bit tricky for triggering with shaft magnet.
A3213

Check restock time -> Farnell should post back orders for free -it's their stock problem.

3) Ok - good news -> They use P = I * I * R

so 54A is quoted in their datasheet for 1 mOhm 3W

Look forward to seeing your project's progress ...

DanielCV

Posted: 07:32pm 11 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Derek,

ok, so now all is clear for the parts to use. Thanks again.

Just not sure how to connect the Resistance for the current sense to the DC of turbine ? In your video it looks like you are putting it serially into the positive wire ? Same connection as if I was measuring with an Ampere Meter ?

Best regards,
Daniel

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 07:40am 12 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daniel

That's correct - there's a diagram in MAX4080 datasheet - figure 5b for typical circuit for using 4080.

Looks like 1 mOhm resistor and gain of 60 MAX4080 gives 50A full scale (for 3V full scale to microcontroller), so is good for your system.

DanielCV

Posted: 11:01am 04 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Derek,

while I am still waiting for my components to arrive, I am curious to know when you will relase the next video ?

Best regards
Daniel

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 04:17pm 04 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daniel

Working on several different projects at present, so hope to put a combination of good things into the next video.

Maybe even put some of your results in ...

Got any photos to wet the appetite ?

DanielCV

Posted: 01:09pm 05 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Derek,

good to know that this continues at your side !
I will later today post some photos of my generator and how I built it and the wind turbine. Thatīs all I have at the moment... is this what you like to see ?

By the way,... also already thinking of:

1- how to make a star-delta switch, controlled by the Wind-Doctor based on rpm readings - this should be done by software controlling several relais !?

2- as mentioned before: stator temperature measuring which I think could be done with a voltage divider as you did with the volt sens circuit.

3- based on both: rpm and temp readings, a controller for a mechanical break system, driven by an electric motor.

What are you working on ? I am really desperate to get the microcontroller and other things to start ! The shipment will leave Europe on monday and will delay another 2 weeks to arrive here ! ( I had to ship it from farnell first to a friend in Germany)

Best regards,
Daniel

dereksoftstuff

Posted: 06:20pm 05 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daniel

Always good to see someone else's build and progress, look forward to your posting with lots of photos ...

Well I'm using an 8-channel ADC (SSI) on another project to input analog sensor data, and was thinking about making this an optional extra for the wind doctor (eUI).

So we could have another 8 analog inputs (user defined) - say your temp sensor etc, with scale factors defined in the UI - similar to VI for power calcs.

We could have temp sensors, barometric pressure sensors, and any other analog sensor you can think of. All integrated into the eUI, and data logged with the power data.

I was also thinking that I could attach a digital ALARM to these analogs, such that if they went outside their min/max values (user defined in UI), then the digital output could be set to alarm. The alarm output could be attached to whatever you want - an LED, an audio alarm, a divert controller ...

Interestingly (to me), I could also define 2 of these analogs to be extra VI (power) ports, so that there could be a VI reading pre-mppt as well as the normal post mppt - allowing accurate mppt efficiency measurements.

If one of the analogs was from a atmospheric pressure sensor, then the 'power in the wind' could be calculated, and hence the total efficiency -> e.g. typically 20 -> 30% from the literature.

Even more interestingly (for you), you could take an analog for the rpm (i.e. volts) reading and define an alarm on it, so if it went over the max you could switch star/delta or whatever ...

We could also define multiple analog inputs to use the same alarm output, which amazingly seems to fit your case 3).

Any more ideas ?

DanielCV

Posted: 07:52pm 05 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Derek,

sounds very very good ! Is the 8 channel ADC (SSI) connected to the microcontroller or is is a separate device which replaces the current microcontroller ?

For now here some photos of my generator building process - I post it on separate website as it is not really ontopic.

And here the wooden rotor.

Best regards,
Daniel]Edited by DanielCV 2011-06-07

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024