Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:38 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Another washing machine motor

Doug

Posted: 02:15am 19 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is a Gentle Annie washing machine motor. It can make a good low cost generator for people new to having a play with alternative power. There are two versions of this motor. One has swaged body and steel wire, the other has a bolted body and copper wire. The shaft on both is ½ inch. Bearings can be replaced on either type but the bolted body/ copper wire type is much easier. Both types use shaft mounted permanent magnets. All you need to do is star point the white/orange/green wires and the other ends of these 3 wires you connect to your 3 phase rectifier to get dc output. You can also connect in delta. There is also a 2nd set of 3 phase windings on this unit. Works well for 12/24/48 volt applications up to about 5 amps. The only problem is the cogging effect is very strong so would need a good blade set to get it going. Once spinning however it requires little effort to keep it going. Would possibly be better suited to a hydro setup rather that a wind turbine
May The Power Be With You

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:14am 24 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been keeping my eyes open for one of those, no luck so far. I think Bruce did some work with them once.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Barry T Coles

Posted: 04:03am 25 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Damn, i only threw one of those away last week, it came out of a front load washer.
I need to learn from the mistakes of others.
I dont have the time to make them all myself.

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:53pm 25 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I had 3 of them ,all aluminium wiring and very coggy.. They have a round seven wires coming out ,,I rectified 6 of them and really didn't get much out on the test bench .

I think at this stage ,from what I've got , the LG is the most ruggered and could be a winner ...When I get "arountoit" , I'll do some playing ..

Bruce
Bushboy

Doug

Posted: 06:01am 26 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all

I have a steel wire model I picked up in the local inorganic rubbish collection. At that time I didn't actually know what it was. I was looking for smartdrives and decided it deserved further investigation so it came home with me. The only test I've done with it to date is to spin the shaft by hand. This generated enough power to to light a 12v 21w light bulb. I believe if it was hooked up to something with enough torque to overcome the cogging like a small waterwheel for instance, it could produce very usable power. Although it's not in the same league as a smartdrive it does have the advantage of being able to be connected as is without any wiring modifications other than star pointing the outputs.

Doug
May The Power Be With You

hazy

Posted: 08:55pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Was hoping somebody might be able to tell me how to make that Gentle Annie motor in Dougs
picture run at 48v

davef
Guru

Posted: 10:31pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

48VDC or 48VAC?

In my microhydro if I unload the Gentle Annie it produces about 50-60VAC 3 phase at about 100-200Hz. So, I would imagine that if you had a box of electronics that changed a 48VDC source to a 3 phase supply at 50-60VAC (50Hz?) you might have a starting point.

It might as simple as generating the 3 phases with no voltage conversion. There is also probably a requirement to generate a reasonable sinewave, don't know.

hazy

Posted: 10:54pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry about that was hoping to use it to generate 48VDC I have 1 in place at present with my hydro thats is hooked to a 3 phase rectifier and its producing 24VDC the problem is I have no test
equipment so i was hoping someone might know the wire colours involved and the connections to increase the voltage to 48VDC.

davef
Guru

Posted: 12:35am 09 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oops, I thought run meant as a motor.

I don't think you have any options to re-connect things differently. The wires are ally and I have had to replace two of them due to broken windings, probably caused by using one jet and the resultant out-of-balance taking the bearings out. They are fragile. Never seen a copper wire unit.

I wonder if you run the motor at a higher speed then the unloaded voltage would be higher. The trick is to get a 50% drop going from loaded to unloaded.

Even at about 150Watts DC, approx 50% efficiency the motor runs quite warm. I have a fan on mine.

Dave in Christchurch

davef
Guru

Posted: 12:39am 09 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"They are fragile", refers to the windings.

The other set of windings is a "low-power" 3 phase section for feedback or running low-power electronics. I use that winding as a "speed-sense" winding.

No option to combine the two sections.Edited by davef 2019-05-10

hary

Posted: 09:26pm 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi.

Where do you find these shaft mounted permanent magnets motor ?
What washing machine brand ?

davef
Guru

Posted: 11:09pm 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fisher & Paykel made in New Zealand. You might find them in Australia and maybe the UK. They are very old and in my opinion not worth the effort. I even made one of them able to be torn-down to replace bearings as the motors are becoming rare.

The F&P SmartDrive is commonly used for microhydro and wind. See here

If you look on the wind forum and search LG you will find another motor that might be more useful.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024