Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:11 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Yet another axial

Page 2 of 8    
Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:50am 23 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Today I made a coil winder. Printed out the cad drawing and glued to some 9mm MDF.

Cut out and holes drilled in the coil formers.

And this is my throw together coil winding jig with counter.

The counted was from a photo copier I junked years ago, its trigged by a microswitch as the coil former rotates around.

I intend to apply epoxy to the coils as I wind them, so ideally I should make 12 formers, one for each coil, so I can wind them all in one hit and then give them time to set.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:52am 23 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmm, looks like the automatic image resizing code is broken after transfering the web site. Better fix that.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:55am 23 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats better.
JAQ

shawn

Posted: 09:52am 23 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen even after lots of relese wax or grease whatever you use, the set coil is hard to take off the centre part of your winder what I found worked best was about 4 turns of electric tape the cheap stuff around it first, this gave me the movement after it was set and it came off easy without distorting or wreaking my winder centre.
I replaced the tape for each coil.

Hope this makes sence.

shawn

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:24am 23 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats a good tip Shawn, I'll use that. Thanks.

Glenn
JAQ

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 01:09pm 23 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen,
Everything is looking very professional from the start,don't feel the pressure,but we are exspecting great results!All the best Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:27am 28 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Today I picked up the lasercut steel bits. Pretty happy with the quality and price.

Using the magnet template I made earlier, I fitted the magnets to the steel plates.

I think the magnet template is a good idea. It was just like putting round pegs into round holes. Add a drop of superglue and drop the magnet in, I didn't have to worry about positioning the magnets, the only thing I had to think about was which pole, N or S. The template was about 8mm above the steel plates, so I could blow down each hole to clear out any dist or wood fibres before dropping in the magnet.

Next up I need to make the bearing.

Glenn
JAQ

shawn

Posted: 10:38am 28 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That looks like it will cool very well almost a fan going around the stattor it will be interesting how hard you could run it before it heats up,got a tractor pto handy or ???

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:52am 29 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

More progress today. Bought a couple of 6205 bearings to make up the bearing hub. Machined the center tube, fitted and welded the flanges, and put back in the lathe to bore out the bearing holes and true up the face where the magnet plates bolts on. It was a struggle for the little lathe, but it got there in the end.

Finished and painted. Paint is good for hiding bad welding

Then a mock assembly. It drew blood, the magnets might be ceramic but they can still pinch

Tomorrow I'll wind up a test coil and see if I can get some figures.

Glenn

JAQ

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:26pm 29 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice work Glenn, interesting to see your 'adaption' of a drill chuck to serve as a live center
Klaus

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 01:37pm 29 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
Just noticed I've been mis-spelling your name,my mistake Your mill is progressing very nicely and like Murphy Law no job is complete without a little "Blood sweat and Tears".You're right I can't see the welding at all,but my guess is that the paint isn't the only thing holding it together!Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

niall1

Posted: 10:12pm 29 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Glenn

"it drew blood"...potential there ...

very few axial builds with ferrites out there ...sounds interesting

the mags look much bigger when installed "in the flesh" Edited by niall1 2011-07-01
niall

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:53pm 29 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

Looking good nice job, should be plenty of cooling with the open design.

If you need a bigger lathe to do anything I am just a coffee stop away, you are welcome any time.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

mac46

Guru

Posted: 02:37am 30 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

Just wanted to let you know...Looks very profesional, perfect fit on the flanges to the bearings, was that bore already cut for you or did you have to use you'r lathe for the final bore size?

I am very interested with this project. Thanks for shareing this.

...Mac46

I'm just a farmer

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:07am 01 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Made a test coil yesterday.

JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:14am 01 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dont you hate it when you click Post instead of Preview
Anyway, made a test coil. 25 turns on a former. Fitted a waterpump pulley to the front of the alternator, then rigged up my little lathe and a loop of rubber cut from a old bike inner tube to drive the alternator.

Took a heap of measurements at different magnet gaps, from 9mm to 27mm. Interesting results, will post once I do all the maths, and get a little help from the guru.

One thing I noticed was the test coil position is important, I get very different readings when the coil is closer to one side, or in the middle. The photo below shows the coil close to the front magnet plate, 18mm magnet spacing. In this postion I was reading 1.54Vp-p, and when it was mounted in the middle, I read 1.39Vp-p

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2011-07-02
JAQ

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 06:45pm 01 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,,

just Curious whether this would effect Inductance? (from page 2).

Try it with a single Mag, would be interesting to see how much effect the 2 mags have on the field pattern.
Good looking work Glenn. -----Cheers, Roe
Edit; If the're not glued permanently Edited by Greenbelt 2011-07-03
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

mac46

Guru

Posted: 02:25am 02 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen,

I was looking through you'r posts and I see that you bored the inner pipe, sorry for bothering you with a repeat. Why does it have unequaled output when you tighten the clearance to one side? and how much does this effect the sine wave pattern?

Most exellant work Glen,
...Mac46

I'm just a farmer

Jarbar

Posted: 02:52am 02 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen,
or maybe place a second coil next to the existing one.The same positive effect might occur in it also and if so pot two separate coils side by side all the way around and configure connections for best output.

Anthony
"Creativity is detirmined by the way you hold your tounge".My Father
"Your generation will have to correct the problems made by mine".My Grandfather.

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 04:01am 02 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jarbar.

Sounds like an Idea ! Maybe a longer coil with fewer layers to take up the space.

Glenn
After reviewing your photos it may have more to do with flux path than distortion
It is possible that the forward magnet plate having more steel ,(Hub etc.) is a better
magnetic path.----- Cheers, Roe

Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Page 2 of 8    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024