Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:11 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Copyright information on images

Page 2 of 3    
petanque don

Posted: 03:28am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have no problem with this.

however in the initial example it would be very easy to crop the watermark off.

I would imagine thieves could be just this creative

should it be tick to remove copyright? Edited by petanque don 2011-06-27

nishka

Posted: 07:50am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If this (pic of my back-yard) is what the forum administrators wanted to do with uploaded photo's from forum members ??? then I would think that's a pretty good idea.

Being a newbie on this forum I have a humble respect for all those members both past and current who have given of themselves via their experience and labour for the benefit, education, enlightenment of one such as me and others yet to come.

Surely it would be ok to acknowledge both the forum and/or members via a watermark similar to the one I present here as a sample ?

I most certainly would have no problem with forum doing same.

John

Mechanic, Engineer, Electrician, Thinker, Tinkerer, Backshed Inventor, Hermit and general mad bastard ;-)

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:58am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
I have seen on the net before where you try to copy an image and the website says ripping this image isn't allowed. It may be a case if other members agree to put this measure in place so any imagines put on this forum stay here and can't be ripped.

Cheers Bryan

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:08am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Like I said there isn't much we can do about a web site based in China, Beijing in this case according to a trace.

I've blocked the IP range of that site from accessing my server, but I really need to block China totally. Unfortunately the last time I tried that I also blocked part of New Zealand and the USA It seams the IP tables for China are out of date.

I did notice they had google ads, so I have reported them to Google for publishing material copied from another site, a big no-no in Googles eyes. Will see what response I get from Google.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:09am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone read Chinese?
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 09:51am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Greenbelt said   VK6MRG,
HI.
The Server computer has no way of knowing whether you authored the image or it is owned by others, It only knows You uploaded it.
If you wanted to upload a picture or diagram furnished by others(picaxe.windmill,etc.)
it would not be legal to watermark it as your property.
A check box will give you freedom to use images that are not copyrighted and are not your property while checking the Box will protect your personal Ideas if you choose.
(is this Right?)----Cheers, Roe

Hi Roe,
Thanks for clearing that up for me, that makes perfect sense.

Matt
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:59am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How about something like this. Its barely visible, but its still readable. Just the member name, the web site address and the date in internation format.

I'll play around with different transparency levels tomorrow on a variety of images.

Glenn
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:46pm 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

fillm said   Hey Glenn,

When you start going through a lot of the posts on that site, it seems like they just flog everything from everywhere .

Found a couple more Heres your AX Build and directly below it The Lenz .

Wow, they have good stuff on their site. I like how well machined are those parts. Fillm, you are sure it was about The Lenz and not The Chez or something?

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 04:01pm 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen,
Yes that works well!I do agree with other comments recommending locating it near centre where details will most likely be focused.Forum members will need to keep originals along with other supportive evidence as proof of copywright ownership in personal files in case this gets out of hand,and judging by other post your actions have already proved prudent.Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

vawtwindy

Posted: 04:29pm 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo, your last post watermark is pretty neat, are you going to use imagemagick?

"Anyone read Chinese?"

i use google.com translate

http://translate.google.co.in/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.t ech-domain.com%2F&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 Edited by vawtwindy 2011-06-28

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 06:26pm 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo wrote,
How about something like this. Its barely visible, but its still readable. Just the member name, the web site address and the date in internation format.

Super Job! Just the way it should be.------Roe

Edit;
The Translated symbols for (Copyrighted Material)is, "受版权保护的材 6009;". if this is what you needed
The Translator

Don't know where the 6009 came from ? It only shows on the preview page but not on the
format page.----- Roe Edited by Greenbelt 2011-06-28
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 06:53pm 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vawtwindy,

Thanks for the link to the Translator.

-------Cheers, Roe

smithy

Posted: 12:59am 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the tick box on whether an uploaded file should have a copyright watermark is the way to go, and yes it should go near the center of the image.

Looks like some people have lost the moral compass and traded it in for a $ compass.

Smithy
"The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind" Bob Dylan

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:29am 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, added the watermark updates. When you upload a image you have the option to turn off the watermark, but its on by dafault.

I've also increased the maximum image file size from 500k to 1500k, meaning bigger images will upload without you needing to resize them down first. The forum software resizes the picture after you have uploaded them to 500 pixels wide.

Glenn

JAQ

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 03:48am 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen,

Looks good----Roe

Test,

Edit; Add space between images.

Edited by Greenbelt 2011-06-28

vawtwindy

Posted: 12:45pm 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

look at the hidden portion of gizmo,

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:08pm 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I cant work out what you mean, I'm lost. Whats the blue bit near the windmill?
JAQ

vawtwindy

Posted: 02:35pm 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry gizmo, when i saw an image from another forum too, i was bit upset with these guys. But your efforts are really good one.

Tried placing the water mark near the windmill and tried changing it, was that blue bit disturbing or irritating ?

So my bet with the water mark you have is on top of the object itself.Edited by vawtwindy 2011-06-29

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 04:25pm 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Vawtwindy,
You seem to have uploaded gizmo's picture and the watermark gives you copywright.Is that what has occurred? It looks like a case of putting a lock(safeguard) on, only keeps the honest ones out!There's no question that some action needs to be taken and then as refinements are needed they can be addressed at the time.Glen also mentioned there is some recourse through servers as well,the downfall of which is becoming totally tied up, taking care of it!Glens efforts to limit ownership of content to the forum and members with watermarks provides us with more evidence supporting our position than we had before,a positive step forwards.Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 05:39pm 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen,

This was just a thought, Changed my Mind, There was something wrong with the one I Had.
---Cheers, Roe Edited by Greenbelt 2011-06-29

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024