Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:11 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Wishlist for MMBASIC

Page 2 of 3    
Chris Roper

Posted: 12:19am 15 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

piclover said  As for the pins, using an externat RTC also forces you to use I/O pins for it (2 I2C pins or 3 SPI pins), so there's no difference with "loosing" the XTAL pins instead...

Actually there is a big difference.

The external RTC will be battery backed.
The external RTC will run whilst the PIC sleeps.
The External RTC is also giving you non volatile RAM to save system Configuration variables in.
The external RTC could also give you additional FLASH or EEPROM depending on the package.

AND most importantly, the I2C Pins can be shared by several external devices, such as port expanders, along with the RTC whereas the XTAL pins are single function and provide no battery backup.

You mentioned that battery backup is not an issue on a battery powered solution, but I beg to differ, you will lose the time whilst changing the battery's but more importantly if you need to conserve battery life you need to slow or sleep the CPU which would disrupt the internal RTC, so your battery life is negatively impacted.

piclover said  That's quite interesting an option !... Any pointer to the said tutorials ?

Unfortunately no, but you could Google it. The ChipKit forums is a good starting point, but I am reluctant to link it from here as the ChipKit could be seen as a competitor to MicroMite in many ways.

http://caroper.blogspot.com/

piclover

Posted: 12:56am 15 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chris Roper said  
  piclover said  As for the pins, using an externat RTC also forces you to use I/O pins for it (2 I2C pins or 3 SPI pins), so there's no difference with "loosing" the XTAL pins instead...

Actually there is a big difference.

The external RTC will be battery backed.
The external RTC will run whilst the PIC sleeps.[/quote]Not an issue for projects powered from the main power lines (a simple backup battery will care for short power losses, in case this is a critical issue: not an issue at all in countries where the main power grid is robust, such as here, in France).

[quote]
The External RTC is also giving you non volatile RAM to save system Configuration variables in.[/quote]The Micromite already provides such a feature (2Kb of Flash storage, IIRC)

[quote]The external RTC could also give you additional FLASH or EEPROM depending on the package.[/quote]If you need it, then fine, if not, then why bothering ?

[quote]AND most importantly, the I2C Pins can be shared by several external devices, such as port expanders, along with the RTC whereas the XTAL pins are single function and provide no battery backup.[/quote]This depends entirely on your project... What if you don't have any other I2C chip to communicate with ?... What if you don't care about or don't risk power losses ?

[quote]You mentioned that battery backup is not an issue on a battery powered solution, but I beg to differ, you will lose the time whilst changing the battery's but more importantly if you need to conserve battery life you need to slow or sleep the CPU which would disrupt the internal RTC, so your battery life is negatively impacted.[/quote]Again, this depends on the project... For example, I made an alarm clock (with sun rise simulation, 4 independent alarms with weekday alarm capability, etc, etc) out of a PICAXE 28X2 (for which there's no built-in RTC, so I programmed entirely the RTC in PICAXE BASIC). It's main-line-powered and got a 9V accumulator as a backup battery. The latter can stand a 12 hours power outage while the PICAXE runs at 32MHz... I simply shut off the display (a 7-segments LED display) when I detect the power loss and let the PICAXE continue counting the clock ticks...

Don't take me wrong, your points are valid, but just like mine are: it all depends on your needs and projects.

Chris Roper

Posted: 01:25am 15 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

piclover said  Don't take me wrong, your points are valid, but just like mine are: it all depends on your needs and projects.

Agreed, and I must admit I missed the fact that you said "Mains Powered with Battery Backup", but I left the points anyway for those reading the thread with different requirements.

In Africa unfortunately we are not blessed with stable Mains power and are subjected to frequent blackouts, even here in South Africa we struggle to keep the lights on, so most designs are Battery powered with Mains backup :)

Just as an aside, that you may find interesting, you were comparing to the PICAXE 28X2 which uses the PIC18F25K Chip. The MicroMite uses the PIC32MX170 as you are aware and though microchip strive to keep essential pins compatible between all 28 pin PICS, that is the clock, power and ground pins. The PIC 32's and I believe some of the PIC 18's have something called PPS (Peripheral Pin Select) that allows you to allocate, within reason, the pins used by Serial Communications, I2C, SPI and certain Interrupt and Timer / Counter functions.

MMBASIC does not expose the PPS Layer, though Geoff has used it to allocate the internal referrals to the pains. If you ever use a Naked PIC32 you can have hours of fun mapping your I/O to suit your needs and the PCB layout of the project.

On another note, if your device is to be Mains based, how about using the mains frequency as the reference for the RTC? just one pin with an interrupt would be needed for an accurate time base.
Edited by Chris Roper 2015-06-16

piclover

Posted: 02:07am 15 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chris Roper said  Agreed, and I must admit I missed the fact that you said "Mains Powered with Battery Backup", but I left the points anyway for those reading the thread with different requirements.

In Africa unfortunately we are not blessed[/quote]As an atheist, I won't say we are "blessed", but "lucky", yes, definitely...
Last time I experienced a (short) power outage at home must be over 10 years ago... There are still a few micro-dropouts, especially on stormy days, but these are easily ruled out with a big enough filtering capacitor in your power supply design.

[quote]On another note, if your device is to be Mains based, how about using the mains frequency as the reference for the RTC? just one pin with an interrupt would be needed for an accurate time base.
Because the accuracy is not as good as a (well tuned) quartz-based oscillator. The accuracy of the mains AC power frequency is only guaranteed within +/-20s (i.e. the mains 50Hz frequency is corrected so that the drift of a clock based on it never gets larger than this), while with a quartz, I easily achieve a +/-3s per month or better accuracy, which, in my alarm clock, I further compensated with a software drift adjustment (because at some point, it becomes impossible to adjust the variable capacitor linked to the quartz in small enough a step). I achieved a +/-1s drift over 6 months (in an almost constant temperature room). I already designed a v2 for that alarm clock: if I ever build it, it also got a temperature sensor that will make it possible to take the temperature drift into account as well...

But yes, if you don't need ticks at a higher frequency than the mains' and can stand a 20s inaccuracy for the clock, then it's definitely a good solution to derive your time keeping clock from the mains.

Chris Roper

Posted: 02:21am 15 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

piclover said   The accuracy of the mains AC power frequency is only guaranteed within +/-20s (i.e. the mains 50Hz frequency is corrected so that the drift of a clock based on it never gets larger than this)

Thanks, I never realised that, I always thought it was somehow synchronised with an atomic clock or at least something a lot more accurate than +/- 20 sec.

Not sure if you are into CFunctions yet, I have not got that far but am keen to explore them in more detail, you may find the algorithms that Roman Black published to be of interest.

Whilst not intended for MicroMite his algorithms are well documented and easy to adapt to most any language or platform.

http://www.romanblack.com/onesec/High_Acc_Timing.htm

That link is directly to his timing stuff but his home page is full of fascinating algorithms, a few of which I have used in various PIC projects.

piclover

Posted: 02:38am 15 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chris Roper said  Thanks, I never realised that, I always thought it was somehow synchronised with an atomic clock or at least something a lot more accurate than +/- 20 sec.[/Quote]The mains grid frequency can't be kept always the same at an atomic clock accuracy, because it depends on the load of the grid (generators are rotating alternators, and when the demand increases, the added load slightly slows them down, and vice versa when the load decreases).

The Swiss grid even reports its current frequency and reference time drift online, here. I don't have equivalent links for other European countries, but since all European power grids are, in normal conditions (i.e. out of power outage issues) connected, they should all share the exact same frequency...

[quote]Not sure if you are into CFunctions yet, I have not got that far but am keen to explore them in more detail, you may find the algorithms that Roman Black published to be of interest.
I'll have a look. Thanks for the pointers ! Edited by piclover 2015-06-16

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 06:52am 15 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Chris Roper

The first draft of V2.0 of the CFunctions tutorial together with V2.0 of CFuncgen itself are available for download from http://www.cfuncgen.dyndns.org/

V2.0 of the tutorials document includes a new chapter "C for MMBasic programmers" which tries to help MMBasic programmers get into C from a CFunction writing perspective.

Peter
The only Konstant is Change

piclover

Posted: 09:41am 22 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  would execute quite a bit slower

There isn't that much difference between O1 and O2. Using the benchmarks I get the following (MM2 50MHz using 10MHz Xtal):

O1 O2
1 0.023 0.023
2 0.146 0.141
3 0.236 0.228
4 0.237 0.228
5 0.447 0.458
6 0.653 0.658
7 1.031 1.025
8 0.311 0.300

I'm not getting the same results, here, but I'm made the test with a recompiled MMBASIC without the XTAL change. At the *same* clock speed (48MHz), I get the following results:

[code] Geoff's original MMBASIC Recompiled (-O1 -fomit-frame-pointer)
Benchmark 1: 0.024 0.029
Benchmark 2: 0.149 0.161
Benchmark 3: 0.238 0.262
Benchmark 4: 0.240 0.262
Benchmark 5: 0.568 0.571
Benchmark 6: 0.777 0.818
Benchmark 7: 1.158 1.243
Benchmark 8: 0.313 0.350
[/code]

That's a 10% speed difference, i.e. even with a 50MHz quartz, I still won't have the same speed with custom-compiled MMBASIC... :-(Edited by piclover 2015-06-23

piclover

Posted: 01:29am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bump !

Any chance to get a thought from Geoff about my first post in this thread ?... Especially about the ADC & voltage reference issue, which is a *big* issue when compared to, for example, what the PICAXE offers...

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:08am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The simple way to accurately measure voltage is connect a reference voltage to an input, measure it and then use that reading to calculate the correction factor for the other analogue inputs. Not hard to do, so I am not sure that it is that big an issue.

However, it would be nicer if MMBasic had more options regarding the reference voltage for analogue inputs so it is definitely on the ToDo list.

One point that should be made is that you cannot expect too much accuracy from the analogue inputs. There is a lot of digital noise from the high speed CPU and it requires great care in the circuit and PCB design to reduce the noise. MMBasic also takes multiple readings and uses a special averaging algorithm to reduce noise but it is only partially successful.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:44am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

geoff: have you looked into the possibility that the issues with reading the internal bandgap reference may be circumvented by always performing a read from an external pin first without interruption inbetween? if that is the case, the suggestions i've made elsewhere about rolling the two operations into one - x = pin(2, scale) - may be a viable solution.

personally, i consider being able to read the internal bandgap reference as quite useful for where the micromite is operated off 2xAA cells. operating off batteries directly is a major advantage in some applications that the likes of the arduino don't so easily offer (but they can read their own internal bandgap reference).

btw, i've been doing a little more testing (4.7 beta 23) with the editor bug i reported earlier. it appears that if you do a mark-delete operation at any time, the bug disappears until the micromite is factory reset (using !!!!!!!!!!!). this makes it sound like an uninitialised variable somewhere that mark-delete uninitialises but that mark-cut does not.

cheers,
rob :-)Edited by robert.rozee 2015-07-20

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:49am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nope, i take that back - the bug behaviour is more complicated than that!

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 03:46am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would wait until I get back Rob. You have very little chance of nailing the bug by looking at the symptoms. I speak from experience in chasing down many a bug.
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Chris Roper

Posted: 03:47am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said   nope, i take that back - the bug behaviour is more complicated than that!

Interesting, I have just loaded the new 4.7B on an MX170 and can't reproduce your bug.

piclover

Posted: 07:42am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  The simple way to accurately measure voltage is connect a reference voltage to an input, measure it and then use that reading to calculate the correction factor for the other analogue inputs. Not hard to do, so I am not sure that it is that big an issue.[/quote]This method makes you loose an input for the reference voltage, and forces you to use an external voltage reference while the PIC comes with its own, internal reference...

[quote]However, it would be nicer if MMBasic had more options regarding the reference voltage for analogue inputs so it is definitely on the ToDo list.[/quote]Great ! :-)

[quote]One point that should be made is that you cannot expect too much accuracy from the analogue inputs. There is a lot of digital noise from the high speed CPU and it requires great care in the circuit and PCB design to reduce the noise. MMBasic also takes multiple readings and uses a special averaging algorithm to reduce noise but it is only partially successful.
Not sure how it is done by the PICAXE firmware, but that chip is also a very fast one, and I used several in various projects, driven from 8MHz to their full 64MHz speed, and using the internal reference for A/D conversions: I typically get an accuracy better than 0.5%, which is quite honourable, and sufficient for most use cases...
The PIC32MX even got one advantage over the PICAXE with the separate analog supply, which you can easily filter against high frequency noise with a small coil and a decoupling capacitor.Edited by piclover 2015-07-20

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:16am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  This method makes you loose an input for the reference voltage, and forces you to use an external voltage reference while the PIC comes with its own, internal reference...

I don't understand why this is still being discussed. The issue is that the Microchip silicon supporting the MX170 internal reference is unreliable and the MX470 internal reference doesn't work at all. This is nothing to do with Geoff or MMBasic or comparisons with PICAXE, try chasing Microchip for an updated silicon revision.

I have posted a Cfunction on this thread which will read the internal reference on a MX170. This is the same code as Geoff used previously but slowed down and with an additional level of checking so if it works on your chip that should solve the issue. If it doesn't work there is nothing Geoff could do to solve the issue on your chip.

The 28-pin Micromite has 10 ADC pins, the 28-pin PICAXE has 16, the Micromite has proper Analog GND and VCC inputs, the PICAXE doesn't. The Micromite has a proper version of Basic, the PICAXE ....

Everything is a compromise. If you are looking for > 10 Analog inputs and a working internal reference and only want 1-in-200 (8-bit) accuracy, use a PICAXE. If you want to get closer to 10-bit accuracy and can put up with 9 analog inputs use a 28-pin Micromite with an external reference. If you want 28 analogue inputs use a MM2+ etc.

Edited by matherp 2015-07-20

piclover

Posted: 08:45am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I don't understand why this is still being discussed. The issue is that the Microchip silicon supporting the MX170 internal reference is unreliable and the MX470 internal reference doesn't work at all. This is nothing to do with Geoff or MMBasic or comparisons with PICAXE, try chasing Microchip for an updated silicon revision.[/quote]I personally don't care about the MX470, and never had any issue with PIN(0) with the MX170... but perhaps I'm just lucky... This said, the MX170's datasheet does describe in gorgeous details how to use the internal voltage reference, *not as a once-shot reference reading* (which is what PIN(0) is doing) but instead as a proper reference for the A/D converter itself: I don't see why it won't work... I saw no errata from MicroChip about such an issue. You would of course have to let the reference activated (the fact of activating it just for and just before the PIN(0) reading is probably why you get all those issues), which is fine by me.

[quote]I have posted a Cfunction on this thread which will read the internal reference on a MX170. This is the same code as Geoff used previously but slowed down and with an additional level of checking so if it works on your chip that should solve the issue. If it doesn't work there is nothing Geoff could do to solve the issue on your chip.[/quote]This (the PIN(0) method) is *not* the proper way to use the internal reference for A/D conversions in a PIC... The proper method is to replace the analog supply by the internal reference via the corresponding configuration registers, for the A/D converter to use it itself.

[quote]The 28-pin Micromite has 10 ADC pins, the 28-pin PICAXE has 16[/quote]The PICAXE 28X2 got 28 pins too, and is quite comparable in its functionalities with the MicroMite...
Yes, there are differences, compromises, strengths and weaknesses, etc, but fact is that the PICAXE 28X2 offers the full range of the PIC's ADC features and that the MX170-based Micromite could do it just as well, with the added bonus brought by its separate analog supply.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:02am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm sorry if my message came across as intolerant but I have some idea how many hours Geoff puts into the Micromite firmware that he releases FREE.

He has just released major new functionality for the MX170 and MX470 that hugely expands its scope and yet you immediately raise an issue for which there is an easy workround and for which he has previously explained that he has not found a satisfactory solution.

I'm sorry that you think that
  Quote  This (the PIN(0) method) is *not* the proper way to use the internal reference for A/D conversions in a PIC... T

I'm sure you know better but Geoff is the one doing the work and providing us with this great resource.

I understand you have no interest in the MX470 but do you not think Microchip may have used the same basic silicon design as the MX170 and do you not think this may mean there could also be an issue on that chip even if the errata is only confirmed on the MX470?

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:33am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Obviously if the silicon is broken then it's up to Mchp to fix it, but with that said if there's a "proper method ... via ... configuration registers" then perhaps posting some working C code for it would be useful.

John

BobD

Guru

Posted: 11:19am 19 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

piclover said  
This (the PIN(0) method) is *not* the proper way to use the internal reference for A/D conversions in a PIC... The proper method is to replace the analog supply by the internal reference via the corresponding configuration registers, for the A/D converter to use it itself.

Henri
You are obviously knowledgeable about this. Have you considered doing some of the development for this and offering it to the community?
Bob
edit: Sorry, John, I just noticed you said much the same thing.Edited by BobD 2015-07-20

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024