Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:05 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : TFT Font tweaking program

Page 2 of 4    
palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:50pm 24 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for this Jim it works just great. I have modified the 7Seg font to what I want and it looks good.
Just one question, can I make a new character eg. a degree symbol and use it in my code or only change existing fonts.
Paul
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:59pm 24 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TassyJim

As Paul is asking; I think it would be useful to be able to add a character to a font set. I know there is an amount of error checking involved to include a feature like this; but what are your thoughts?

Something like; input character number (check if exist already), then if not exist, create it in 'memory' with a blank edit window ready for user to draw. If it does exist already, then simply bring up the existing design.

Hope this isn't asking too much - but I think this feature would make an almost perfect solution. I guess the 'File-New' feature is similar to this too?

PS: I won't ask for a colour version yet!!

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:21am 25 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TassyJim

When the app is first started and I import a font, if I bring up a design and click 'Paste' it will clear the design (i.e. set all pixels off). Even though the Restore button can bring back the design, is it possible to have an 'empty' clipboard so that clicking Paste doesn't 'blank out' a design.

Hope you follow my meaning . . .

WW

PS: Restore seems to work fine but am still 'stress testing'

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:41am 25 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TassyJim

Just downloaded a 128x192 font from 'RinkyDink' and the editor screen in your app doesn't fit on my screen due to its big size. The issue is there are is no vertical scroll bar to see/edit the bottom part of the characters.

Sorry for multiple Posts - but feel it best to post each issue separately as and when I find them.

WW

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:22am 25 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think I have found a workaround for my degree symbol. Since I don't need the Q character I will tweak it to be a degree symbol. Should do the trick.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:46pm 25 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have started work on the scrolling area.
Paste will no longer paste if there is nothing to paste.

I will eventually add the ability to add another character to the end of the existing characters

Jim.
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 01:46pm 25 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said   I have started work on the scrolling area.
Paste will no longer paste if there is nothing to paste.

I will eventually add the ability to add another character to the end of the existing characters

Jim.

Thanks so much for working on these things; I like the simplicity (hence user-friendliness) of this 'app'

You made no mention of the colour version though

WW

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:43pm 25 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Scrollable area to allow for Phil's grand designs.

Also:
The 'insert' key adds a new character to the end of the set.
'delete' deletes the last character in the set - NOTE not the current displayed character. I will change that to only delete it if it IS the current character.
NEW now starts a blank set ready for 'insert'ing characters.

'insert' and 'delete' work on existing sets, not just new ones.

Please keep trying to destroy it. I don't have a TFT display setup to test the fonts on at the moment.

2016-02-26_054113_FontTweak.zip

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:50pm 25 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said   Scrollable area to allow for Phil's grand designs.

These were taking too much memory to run on a 28pinner so never got to view them on the TFT I had set up at the time!

Will continue trying to 'break' things with your latest release. It is first thing in the morning here in UK so will need a few hours first before I report back . . .

Thanks once again for this very useful 'app'.

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 09:13pm 26 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  

Jim.

As a quick workaround until its another rainy day in Tassie, just tweak the header to say more characters exist before you open with Jim's program and then you have the extra ones available. You just need to touch each new one with something before you save if you don't want to use all the new ones straight away so it saves with data. I just added 16 new ones to my hand coded font this way.

Regards
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:32pm 26 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

disco4now said  
  TassyJim said  

Jim.

As a quick workaround until its another rainy day in Tassie, just tweak the header to say more characters exist before you open with Jim's program and then you have the extra ones available. You just need to touch each new one with something before you save if you don't want to use all the new ones straight away so it saves with data. I just added 16 new ones to my hand coded font this way.

Regards
Gerry

Too late,
The 'insert' key now adds another character at the end of the set.

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 11:17am 27 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It would be good if the special functions were also available via a dropdown menu. My Surface Pro 3 keyboard does not have an insert key

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 06:30pm 27 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just for Geoff,
This update uses ctrl-X to delete the last character in the set and ctrl-N to add a new character to the end of the set.
Insert and delete still work for those of us with proper keyboards.

There is one other change. If you try to delete a character and you don't currently have the last character active, it is NOT deleted but the last character becomes the active one.

If you still accidentally delete a character, try inserting a new character. You might find that the old character has returned.

2016-02-28_042916_FontTweak.zip

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 09:20pm 27 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said   It would be good if the special functions were also available via a dropdown menu. My Surface Pro 3 keyboard does not have an insert key

Geoff

Having the same problem before i used this solution:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToMapAnInsertKeyOnYourSurfacePro3Keyboard.aspx
Microblocks. Build with logic.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 10:35pm 27 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TassyJim

Been playing with your latest (Ctrl-X, Ctrl-N) version and it's looking good.

Have managed to uncover a few things so here's my feedback:

1> With 'New', if you input 'garbage' for the character size (X x Y) it creates a blank edit window (i.e. zero pixels). To avoid this, can I suggest you force the input of the X and Y values separately. This would allow very easy error checking for you (and only allow for numerics). Also when entering the X value; highlight that the entered value will be rounded up to the nearest 8.

2> When the new file is created, it starts at the character value you inputted during the 'New' option. When you create a character and then press 'Save', it does not save it (this took me a while to work out why). The 'artwork' is only save once you select another character (which there isn't) so I had to Insert another (blank) Character first, which then saved my 'artwork' for the first (and the only required) character. Can I suggest that 'Save' automatically saves the current artwork into the on-screen character number

3>When I used New, and selected start at a number below 32, I then shut down your app, and then opened it again using OPEN, selecting the font just created. However, you app came in at Chr$(32) but I had selected a character lower than Chr$(32) and hence just had an 'empty' edit window

Everything else seems to be working really well.

I am currently using the app to create a 128x128 Logo bitmap (as a single character font), and then displaying the required Logo very quickly with the TEXT command.
Going to try 'animate' the logo next

Will report back anything else I find . . . .
Great work Jim

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 01:47am 28 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TassyJim

Is it possible to create a (New) Font which is for example 12 pixels wide (i.e. Not a multiple of 8)?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:26am 28 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Is it possible to create a (New) Font which is for example 12 pixels wide (i.e. Not a multiple of 8)?

Geoff can confirm but I don't think the MM firmware can deal with fonts that aren't multiples of 8 wide

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 04:05am 28 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Is it possible to create a (New) Font which is for example 12 pixels wide (i.e. Not a multiple of 8)?

Geoff can confirm but I don't think the MM firmware can deal with fonts that aren't multiples of 8 wide

I can see the logic/reason why multiples of 8 are used, but referring to Page22 of the MMPlus manual shows Font 2 as 12 wide (by 20 high).

I am more than happy with multiples; but if other widths are possible then potentially it may cause Jim's 'app' to crash Am more stress testing the 'app' (i.e. trying to break it) rather than making this a request

WW

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:49am 28 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The information at 'rinkydink' definitely requires multiples of 8 for the horizontal bits. There is no restriction on height.

I don't know about MMBasic requirements but I expect that you can't split bytes across characters and possibly across rows.
Padding may be required.

As far as WW's other points, I have a few things to fix.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:43pm 28 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Today's update fixes a few of WW's last list.
Not sure about item 3. I was unable to reproduce it so I might not have fixed it.

I have added two new functions.
ctrl-W will convert the loaded font into 'Wide' characters. double the width and the same height.

crtl-2 will convert the loaded font into double width and double height.

In both cases there is no attempt to smooth the results.

I will eventually make a proper panel for entering the NEW font details and proper menus.

2016-02-29_094156_FontTweak.zip

As usual with this project, I have not done much testing...

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Page 2 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024