Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:19 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM/MM+ 5.2/6.0?

Page 6 of 7    
JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:42pm 27 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I suppose one way would be to ask Geoff for the source and make the changes mentioned (remove editor or whatever).

It's C so some #ifdef work should do it without much effort.

If you then make patches (very easy to do using Linux / its tools) they can be applied to future versions from Geoff without manually redoing the whole task.

Works for countless other tools etc so should work fine for this.

You could even offer it back to Geoff to see if he wanted to adopt it.

John

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:56pm 28 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@damos

I still use LCD's and keypads and the built in editor. The editor is one main point of difference compared to the other chips available.

There is a DOS version of MMbasic but it doesn't have any of the IO or graphics code which limits it's use for most programs.

I doubt if MMEdit will ever approach an emulator.
It is rare for a 'mite to run without any external devices connected and that makes single stepping through the code on a PC of little use. To do anything with a connected chip would need special software running on the 'mite and that defeats the purpose of debugging unless debug code in the firmware runs in the background. I would prefer to see MMBasic development concentrate on productivity tasks rather than too much debugging code.

MMEdit already has some debugging aids. Format will show if loops and functions are missing their end statements although it will not detect errors if the order is wrong.
The variable report is one way to spot misspelt variables etc.

MMedit already has support for INCLUDE files. I will be enhancing that function in the near future.

MMedit already has the option to strip all comments and blank lines before uploading to the 'mite
There has been a request to include shortening variable names to save some space but so far I have resisted going that far.

@piclover

MMedit is one program that relies on XMODEM. While I could get away without it for some purposes, it would require some major rewrites and mean no 'file manager'. As more users put their micromites in remote places with less reliable comms links, having a reasonably robust way of getting programs loaded is of more use, not less.

AUTOSAVE and LIST ALL have no error checking at all.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 07:29pm 28 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said   @damos

I still use LCD's and keypads and the built in editor. The editor is one main point of difference compared to the other chips available.
[/quote]
Newbie Comment:-

I've just received a few LCD panels.
They seemed entirely the correct approach for a couple of simple applications I've got in mind.

No Touch screen or keypad required, just an overkill.
Any setting will be hard coded & if necessary changed in code with either a Bluetooth or Wifi module attached & a terminal emulator on the tablet.

[Quote]I doubt if MMEdit will ever approach an emulator.[/quote]

Strangely, 1/2 an hour ago, driving home, I though "I wonder if anyone could write an emulator to simulate input values & outputs.

Cheers

Phil

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 04:35pm 30 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

On the LCD thing.

Would support for the likes of 16x2 & 20x4 Serial LCD panels with IIC/I2C be justifiable?

It would free up a lot of pins on the 28 pin package for applications where simple monitoring is involved & a lot of inputs required.

Have been trying to search to see if someone's wrote anything to support this, but not finding any results.

Cheers.

centrex

Guru

Posted: 04:59pm 30 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes there was, it ran on BigMicks port expander and the software was by Peter Carnegie.
Time wise about a year ago maybe more whether it would still work on the latest Ver 5.1 I no not.
Cliff

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:10pm 30 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phil,

My IO Panel , as Cliff pointed out does just that.

Peter Carnegie wrote some very good sub-routines (or Functions) to support it. He has, for reasons known to him, pulled his code off line and rescinded further use of his code.. He has, however allowed me to distribute his code conditional of it being with a purchase of my IO Panel. I have not tested the code on the latest Ver 5.1 so I cannot say for certain if it will still work..

I will test it in the next day or so and post back here if interested.. Of course you can buy cheap I2C adapter boards on eBay but unfortunately Peter wont allow use of the code with them.

Kind Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 06:36pm 30 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick,

I was looking at it earlier but didn't fully read the pdf & soak up it's capabilities.

Cheers

piclover

Posted: 11:18pm 01 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Geoff

And yet another wish for next MMBASIC version:

Currently, and while SETPIN DIN accepts a PULLUP/PULLDOWN option, the FIN,CIN and PIN variants of SETPIN does not allow the use of internal pull up/down resistor.

It would be great if the PULLUP/PULLDOWN option could be added for FIN/CIN/PIN input pins. Alternatively, if it saves more bytes in the firmware (and this is what I did for now, in my patched version of MMBASIC), you could avoid to reset the pull up/down bits on SETPIN when the new configuration for that pin is FIN/CIN/PIN; this way, by using, e.g., "SETPIN 16,DIN,PULLUP:SETPIN 16,FIN" you get a frequency counting pin with a pullup resistor...

The latter trick just involves changing the External.c code, around line 910 in ExtCfg(), by adding a if() clause before resetting the pulling resistor bits, like so:

// make sure any pullups/pulldowns are removed in case we are changing from a digital input
if (cfg != EXT_FREQ_IN && cfg != EXT_PER_IN && cfg != EXT_CNT_IN) {
PinSetBit(pin, CNPUCLR); PinSetBit(pin, CNPDCLR);
}
Edited by piclover 2016-05-03

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:12am 02 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looks doable. I will investigate.
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 05:21am 02 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

piclover said   @Geoff

Yet another wish, for v5.2: please, remove that ClearSavedVars(); call, at the end of SaveProgramToFlash(): this is *really*, *really*, super-annoying to get the saved variables wiped out each time you change your program with the built-in editor, having to go through all the menus/process to resave-them again from the program once restarted...

just happens i've been thinking about an application where this clearing of saved variables could be a major pain.

how about having a persistent configurable option?
OPTION CSV ON|OFF

cheers,
rob :-)

piclover

Posted: 11:53am 02 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Geoff

I found a bug in the RTC command: in the documentation, it is said for the RTC command (page 67):
"If the I2C bus is already open the RTC command will use the current settings, otherwise it will temporarily open the connection with a speed of 100KHz."

I was surprised, because all tests I did so far caused the program to halt with a "not enabled" error on the next IC2 READ/WRITE command after a RTC command, when the I2C channel was open before the RTC command was issued... Looking at the code, I found the problem: line 392 of I2C.c, at the end of the cmd_rtc() function, the test is reverted and should read:

if(CloseI2C) i2c_disable();

(just the way it reads for RtcGetTime(), and indeed the latter doesn't close the I2C channel if it was open before RTC GETTIME is invoked).Edited by piclover 2016-05-03

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:52am 05 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

piclover: That bug was (I thought) fixed in V5.1. What version are you using?

robert: There are far to many options already. This would just make the confusion worse.

Clearing of saved variables has two sides. The first is that if someone loads a new program they do not expect variables from the previous program to be restored. Explicitly having to enter VAR CLEAR is not something that you would think is required.

The second is that if you are doing program development the clearing is variables is inconvenient.

I believe that the first is a bigger issue so I plan to leave the clear in place for the NEW command but remove it for EDIT, AUTOSAVE and XMODEM updates.

Geoff

sagt3k

Guru

Posted: 03:14am 05 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff
Do you think to remove AUTOSAVE command on v.5.2 for MX170?
I'm in the process to release a big SW that use strongly this command. The SW use a innovative and interactive report as PDF that communicates with micro using autosave command.
Thanks

piclover

Posted: 03:33am 05 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said   piclover: That bug was (I thought) fixed in V5.1. What version are you using?[/quote]
I'm using v5.1, and v5.1 sources...

piclover

Posted: 10:06pm 05 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Geoff

For next version again, but this time, in the documentation for MM2 (Micromite Manual.pdf): you might want to correct the OPTION LCD PANEL command definition, page 64, to read "OPTION LCD PANEL ILI9341" instead of "OPTION LCD PANEL ILI9163", since the latter is only available to the Micromite Plus.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 10:47pm 05 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sagt3k said  Do you think to remove AUTOSAVE command on v.5.2 for MX170?
No, definitely not. It will remain IN.

It is a useful command, even though not everyone uses it.

Geoff

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 10:52pm 05 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

piclover said  
  Geoffg said   piclover: That bug was (I thought) fixed in V5.1. What version are you using?[/quote]
I'm using v5.1, and v5.1 sources...

I must have my change log mixed up. Anyway, it will be fixed in 5.2.

EDIT: Thanks for the manual update.

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2016-05-07

LouisG

Posted: 08:47pm 06 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another small fix for the 5.2 manual. There is no such word as "loosing". Should be losing, as in losing time or to lose accuracy.

Of course, loose is OK if you mean the opposite of tight.

piclover

Posted: 09:16pm 06 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LouisG said   Another small fix for the 5.2 manual. There is no such word as "loosing". Should be losing, as in losing time or to lose accuracy.

Of course, loose is OK if you mean the opposite of tight.

I guess we all tend to lose sight of the fact that English is not that loose a language, after all...

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:17am 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Louis, that one keeps catching me up because it passes the spelling chequer.

Page 6 of 7    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024