Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:59 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : Aussie Electric khanacross special

Page 4 of 5    
galderdi

Posted: 10:43pm 10 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will be attending and displaying my car at the EV Expo being held at Noosa tomorrow. You can see the details at

https://www.noosaevexpo.com/

galderdi

Posted: 10:26pm 03 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will be competing in the car at the Noosa Winter Hill climb this weekend. June 9 & 10. It is my first time to this event so I do not expect to be particullarly quick.
I will be #62. I will post some videos shortly after the event.

galderdi

Posted: 03:29am 11 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had an good weekend at Noosa. The car was ok. The batteries are on the way out but still manage to give me enough to keep going. The car is awesome off the start line. But it struggled to get any top end speed. The handling was terrible at the beginning of the weekend but I made some changes over the two days and at the end it was coming good. The first few runs were so bad I was 100% focused on not crashing so I couldn’t learn the track. The last few runs I was able to actually drive the car and start focusing on making the most of the track. My results are not great but also not embarrassing and it was a great experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Mlsh2cK6Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhoOsafWW10

ajkw

Posted: 12:50pm 11 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for another post. Always interesting to see the car and the tracks you turn up on.

Anthony.

galderdi

Posted: 12:47am 12 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Anthony,

There is certainly a lot of variety available. So I try to get as broad an experience as possible.

My next event is back to the Queensland Motorkhana Championship June 17th.
Then a Khanacross on July 8th.

galderdi

Posted: 04:26am 10 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a great day at the khanacross Sunday. Here are a few of my runs. The first one is in 360 degree format which is not compatible with Internet Explorer. I am still waiting for the results. I won’t have won outright. But I am confident I will have won my class.

360 degree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHJflcOGaI

Standard view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DD6UrHv5Uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLd-YdL9VA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjY7zD6L3nw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPqwlFQ-Ys4

galderdi

Posted: 06:20am 15 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone. Appologies for not posting for a while. It has been a heck of a journey (not implying it is over).

The car is coming along nicely. But it still isn't competitive. I seem to be hovering around the mid field in most results. Not bad in itself as I am usually up against some seasoned competitors in some goo cars. So as I usually say I am happy but not content.

The second last event of 2018 was the Noosa Hill Climb. It was only my second time at the event and I improved by 4 seconds. The car was still understeering but was managable. But the understeer prevents me from gaining too much confidence and holding corner speed. So I am still focused on improving that aspect of the car. Here is a video from that event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0FDh_p_rbk

The last event of 2018 was an autocross/khanacross. But it was very very wet which emphasised the understeer to the point where is was not managable. I don't have a video for that event.

I started with a check of all the suspension geometry including Castor, camber, king pin inclination, roll centres, toe in and Ackerman angle.
Castor was about right on the driver side but significantly more aggressive on the passenger side. This will be resolved as I complete the new front contro...l arms.
Camber, king pin inclination and roll centres were about where they need to be.
Toe in was correct but will need to be adjusted again as it will be impacted by all the other changes.
Ackerman angle was a little out on the passenger side but not enough to warrant a change in the short term. The driver side was out by a bit more and I have now replaced the adaptor plate to bring it in line with the passenger side.
I have made some solid progress on a second nose for the car. The first nose is for lower speed events where it is an advantage for the tyres to be in front of the nose. The new nose is sleeker, and will include a wing for additional downforce (maybe). The two noses are interchangeable depending on the upcoming types of events. The nose and wing are structurally complete and just need the panels to be added.
I have created some ballast in the form of a 10kg lump of lead. This can be added or removed depending on conditions. I intend to only include it in wet weather where the understeer characteristics seemed to be pronounced.
I have made new front control arms. These are designed to address the inequality in caster from left to right. They are also designed with a slight bend in the front bar of each arm. The bend is to improve the angle of the rose joint attaching to the chassis mount. I was concerned about the bend creating a weak point in the control arm. So you can see I added some significant reinforcing to ensure it can handle the forces.
I am also part way through a modification of the hydraulic handbrake setup. The existing setup has a single master cylinder serving both rear wheels equally. The braking capacity was insufficient to overcome the grip of the rear tyres. The new setup will have dual master cylinders opposing each other with a handle in between the cylinders. Pushing the handle forward will operate the right rear brake and pulling it back will operate the left rear brake. Operating one of the rear brakes at the same time as some mild acceleration should enable the car to perform very tight turns when required (one of the requirements it has struggled to satisfy in the past). The car will retain the cable handbrake for parking and as an emergency brake. I have created the adaptor brackets required for the modification but I will need a full weekend to install system, rerun all the hydraulics and bleed the system.

galderdi

Posted: 06:22am 15 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is how the car looks since the Christmas break.

galderdi

Posted: 02:36am 28 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here are some photos from my last event:

galderdi

Posted: 02:38am 28 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Khanacross Feb 2019 video

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 10:36am 28 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Little bit of tail end out there I see

galderdi

Posted: 01:01am 01 Mar 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Boppa said   Little bit of tail end out there I see

Yes, I thought I had the rear alignment right but it didn't feel right on the day. Maybe also too much rear tyre pressure. I actually spun a couple of times on other runs but I tend not to promote my failures. All in all it is feeling quite good.

galderdi

Posted: 02:11am 16 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a great day at the 2019 Interclub motorkhana on Sunday. The car was fairly good. I am starting to get the hang of driving the car in this latest format. The new hydraulic handbrake in particular takes some practice. I also think it works best once warm. I did have some issues knocking my switches in the heat of battle resulting in a loss of power. So I will make a cover to avoid this in future. I am waiting for the calculation of the final results but I am hopeful of a solid result, possibly my best ever.

I did capture some video but I am trialling a new camera and the results are not worth posting. I will need to do some more testing before the next event.

galderdi

Posted: 11:02pm 16 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well the results are in. I managed 7th from 44 entries. Not quite as good as I was expecting. Still respectable. I also managed 2nd in class, again behind the same competitor. I would have been 6th if I hadn't loaned my car to the 3rd place getter when his car died. The car is heading in the right direction and I have a few ideas for improvements. The next event is the Noosa Hill Climb early June so I won't be facing the same challenges.

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 01:26am 17 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi where is your last motorkhana held ??I had a great day at the 2019 Interclub motorkhana on Sunday and next at Noosa hill climb so where about at noosa need more information cheers

galderdi

Posted: 07:22am 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That last motorkhana was at the back of the drag strip at Willowbank. The next time there will be June 16.

The Noosa Hill Climb is held twice per year. The up coming winter event is June 8 and 9. There is an entry fee but it is well worth it for the variety and rarity of the cars entered. It is located on Gyndier Dr, Tinbeerwah QLD 4563.

I am also seriously considering entering the Mt Cotton Hill climb on May 11.

Let me know if you need anything else.

galderdi

Posted: 07:26am 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here are some images from the event last week:

galderdi

Posted: 06:11am 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

dwyer said   hi where is your last motorkhana held ??I had a great day at the 2019 Interclub motorkhana on Sunday and next at Noosa hill climb so where about at noosa need more information cheers

One more correction. I have now decided to have a crack at the Mt Cotton Hill climb tomorrow. Cheer squads are always welcome

galderdi

Posted: 01:17am 13 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a great day at the Mt Cotton Hill climb on Saturday. My results were not all that impressive but quite respectable for a first attempt. I did end up in the Macadamia nuts (quite an effective safety barrier) on my second run. This event has made me realise the "understeer" issue I had been trying to resolve is gone and what I am suffering from now is actually a brake bias issue. On the successful runs during the day I was forced to brake very early for the tight corners and enter at rather conservative speeds. On the second run I left the braking too late for the brakes to handle and as a result continued straight ahead into the nuts. There was no damage to the car or driver apart from some dents to the ego. All in all it was a very successful day as I now know what is required to make the car more competitive. Here are a few photos from the day.

galderdi

Posted: 03:05am 14 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here are some videos from Saturday:

https://youtu.be/4_37IdY2G5E
https://youtu.be/EH-VH4-v8Lk
https://youtu.be/tg7KLp6S7XU

Page 4 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024