Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:42 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MicroMite Autopilot for Snoopy’s Boats

Page 2 of 3    
Robin Lovelock

Posted: 10:31am 15 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said   Robin, Take a look at your emails when you get a minute!

Thanks Phil. It may seem strange to give this public response to your direct email with information sent me in confidence, but it may help avoid problems with others.

Anyone need only read the bold text on my "Home" page, assuming they have a few years experience in business. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow - as most days :-)

reply to you by direct email (without your email or it's attachment ) >>>>>>

Thanks Phil, but I will not be reading that article. I had thought it was something in the public domain.
I do not accept anything here that I cannot at least share openly with guys you already know.
If anyone contacts me offering to supply suitable product, I'll certainly recommend you for the supply of bits and knowledge.
Just back from a local pub with the wife, and I think we will be treating each other to a meal out soon.
I'm very optimistic about progress tomorrow, and it will be reported openly on that page.
Before that. I've got to make a minor and humourus update to that drone video.
Thanks for your help, and let's see how things develop.
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

p.s. I will CC this to Roy, but I will certainly not give that article to anyone, including him.
Easiest if I do not read it: I only glanced at it. I may delete it from my email system.
Robin on www.gpss.co.uk and www.gpss.co.uk/micromit.htm

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 11:05am 15 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dunno if this is gonna work, but thought I'd try pasting in something from my "Micromite" page to see how to get things like www.gpss.co.uk to appear as a hot link. Big Mick did it early on. Here's a try at pasting in >>>>>>>>>

Newsflash on Wednesday 15th February 2017: Roy's MicroMite AutoPilot Board Works !

First some relevant videos from the Snoopy page: see that "Snoopy's Drones" on the right, from earlier this week. and my last paragraph here. I'll remove them in due course.

Utube video Utube video Utube video Utube video

- NOPE - nothing but text at all. Let's try html:
<A HREF="http://www.gpss.co.uk" >www.gpss.co.uk</A>

- NOPE - just the html text itself.
Anyone like Big Mick able to help me ?
Some profile setting ?

Robin
www.gpss.co.ukEdited by Robin Lovelock 2017-02-16

BobD

Guru

Posted: 11:13am 15 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You could try the editor toolbar.

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 11:20am 15 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ref my earlier public reply to Phil/White Wizard, I guess I should have also said how I use the Net and Forums like this*. I rely on the Forum sending me an email, when there is a posting, so emails would naturally get a faster response.

For several reasons, I do not use a smartphone, but use a primitive Nokia, so I leave the Net behind me when I leave the house. I do take texts and phone calls. It's quite difficult to find Aps for my old Nokia anyway :-)

When an email comes in, a claxon sounds, so it wakes me up from a doze, and people often get a fast response - depending on what else is happening. I adopted tools and procedures like this during the mid 1990s, when I started the www.gpss.co.uk business.

How I deal with things like confidentiality, and using "Openess", goes back a lot further, to the late 1960s. But these things always vary according to your life experience.

* Forums like this: The Picaxe forum was used intensively a few years ago, to get Snoopy's Autopiloit software up and running. Before that you need to go back a LOT further to the mid 1990s, related to GPS - but that was mostly promotion.

Why am I typing this stuff ? Because the wife is watching rubbish on TV :-)

Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 11:28am 15 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks BodD let me try that 4th button ....
www.gpss.co.uk
... will try it.
But before, I'll try doing a cntrl-V instead of the link....
link to video image

Now I'll see if it works. Thanks BobD.
Robin

p.s. Great - the important hyper link works.
May try an image next.Robin's mug shot

Yep, and I expect a video would work.
I wonder how Big Mick embedded that image into his posting - that of the French boat on the first page ?

Duh ! :-) Button further along. Thanks BobD :-)

Sorry it's me :-)
Edited by Robin Lovelock 2017-02-16

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 11:56am 15 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ref earlier stuff about confidentiality: some of you like me, will want to buy that mag ....

reply to Phil / White Wizard >>>>>

Great - it could not be simpler Phil. That's all any of us needed to know.
I'll be sure to pick up at least one of those Everyday Practical Electronics.
I'll put a minor update on my posting, and glad to see it did not upset you.
But it's probably good the topic came up.
Copyright: check out www.gpss.co.uk/osag.htm :-)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

On 15/02/2017 21:11, phil boyce wrote:
>
> Hi Robin,
>
>
> The article is a scan copy of what is in February's edition of Everyday Practical Electronics - so it is very much in the public domain. However, I am aware of CopyRight, and having purchased the magazine, I just wanted to share it with you prior to bringing the magazine to you (shall we say!). March's edition is out already which has Part 2 - so if you pop along to WHS you will see it on the shelf!

etc, etc

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 08:54pm 15 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys ! I hope to make good progress this morning. Checkout my MicroMite page update at the top by clicking [www]

It includes (with pictures and links ) ....

Newsflash on Thursday 16th: I'm up early, and hope to have Snoopy's new MicroMite Autopilot software working well enough to do a "tea tray test", with it given spoken GPS guidance, and servo rudder control, from my front door, to the corner of my drive, up to that lampost, then back to our house. I may even have it "steer" me over to my friend Eric this afternoon, when I go over for tea and cake. Why so optimistic ? Click on that animated picture on the right - my GPS Software from the early 1990s, was written in practically the same language as MMBASIC. That later Pocket PC, from ten years ago, included Snoopy's first Autopilot !

But first I have to take a cup of tea up to my wife June, or she won't get up to go to work ;-)

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 03:00am 16 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Almost there, and if I've not left home, you will know, and I will hear your email come in, including if it originates from this Forum thread. I just updated my MicrMite page with the info further down ....

Newsflash on Thursday 16th: I'm up early, and hope to have Snoopy's new MicroMite Autopilot software working well enough to do a "tea tray test", with it given spoken GPS guidance, and servo rudder control, from my front door, to the corner of my drive, up to that lampost, then back to our house. I may even have it "steer" me over to my friend Eric this afternoon, when I go over for tea and cake. Why so optimistic ? Click on that animated picture on the right - my GPS Software from the early 1990s, was written in practically the same language as MMBASIC. That later Pocket PC, from ten years ago, included Snoopy's first Autopilot !

But first I have to take a cup of tea up to my wife June, or she won't get up to go to work ;-)

More detail later today, but in brief: Roy's tea tray system is running with text to speech, servo, and the GPS is ALMOST there. I'm getting occasional sentences and there are two solution that might take me minutes rather than hours:
1) Hardware: I've swapped that GPS to a BR-355 S2, after I saw it was the earlier version, with LOTS of other NMEA sentences. I put a Futaba lead onto the BR355-S2 so it plugs onto Roy's Board - and they work together ! Sadly, I see that I need to apply a firmware patch, and set up the GPS so that it ONLY outputs $GPRMC sentences. That makes an enormous reduction in the work that any Picaxe or MicroMite must do. Sad ? Because I need to solder up an adapter cable to connect the GPS to my PC :-(

1400: NOW DONE, WITH BR-355 BACK ON ROY'S BOARD, GETTING $GPRMC SENTENCES.
I NEED THAT MID$ BELOW OR ALTERNATIVE. (BR355 setup is already documented in BlogX).

2) Software. I'm using statements like Roy has, such as a loop using the Function INPUT$(1,1) to read individual characters, and also like INPUT$(100,1). But there maybe alternative serial input statements in MMBASIC. e.g. reading a list of strings seperated by commas ? The simplest solution is if MMBASIC has a string statement like the old VB MID$
e.g. type$ = MID$ ( BUF$, 2, 5 ) 'to get "GPRMC" from a NMEA GPS message in BUF$ like $GPRMC,etc,etc

If I'm still working on it, my car with that tracker link above, will still be on my drive, and I will hear your emails come in :-)

Back to MMEDIT: just need that MID$ above if I'm to take it on the road while the sun is out :-)

1415: NO WORRIES: MID$ FOUND IN MANUAL. WILL TIDY THIS PAGE UP TONIGHT. MAY BE AFTER TEA TRAY TEST(S) :-)

p.s. Earlier edit interrupted by the Fishmonger :-)
Edited by Robin Lovelock 2017-02-17

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 11:05am 16 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WE DID OUR FIRST TEA TRAY TEST TODAY. SUCCESS ! CHECK OUT [WWW]. MORE TOMORROW :-)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 11:06pm 16 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hope to resume "work" on the MicroMite within the next two hours, but this is for Paul .....

>>>>>>>>>
Great stuff Paul - I'll do a "reply all" within the next hour - maybe sooner.
Take a look at the page I've been busy setting up this morning: [ REDACTED BUT TOO LATE. NO PROBS 'COS IT WILL BE PUBLIC LATER TODAY VIA "Snoopy" ] :-)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk
p.s. now gotta get dressed, have breakfast, etc :-)

p.s. got a bounce trying to reply to Paul [ REDACTED BUT TOO LATE ? ]
So trying my address book... Nope. I'll put just this on that MicroMite Forum.
I'll then reboot my Win7 PC, ready for when I try later, well before 1000 UK.
Robin at 0905 UK

On 17/02/2017 08:53, Paul Lepkowski wrote:
> Hi Robin.
>Edited by Robin Lovelock 2017-02-18

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:39pm 16 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Robin,

Please be careful about posting email addresses of other people. I know you have edited it since the original post but for anyone who has selected 'email me updates' to this thread will receive an email with the exact content of your original message; and not the edited version! The edited versions only appear here on TBS.

Just letting you know for future (even though most people probably aren't too concerned) . . .

One tip - select 'Preview Post' before submitting a post and make sure it doesn't contain anything 'confidential'; or anything you wouldn't want others to see

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 12:12am 17 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Phil. I've just wasted 20 minutes typing a much longer public reply here, then my clumsy fingers hit a key, and it was all lost. So I'll make this much shorter... Thanks for giving me those tips and how this forum (should work). That was a mistake by me earlier, of course. I hope to get back onto MicroMite things today, but things like the reply to Alex in Siberia, CCd with my Snoopy friends, took priority. I was about to try direct email to Paul again, but thought better do it here first.

My shorter detail about "Security" ( including the Net, mobile and landline phones, or just chatting face to face ) is to read that bold text on my "Home" page and maybe glance at the "Links" pages. Since the 1970s I try to watch what goes into my keyboard and assume it might go anywhere - including documents.

There are relevant things on my pages such as "Grumpy" but that'll do for now. I try not to tell Grandma how to suck eggs, and the nice thing about this forum is that are quite a few Grand Pappys out there :-)

Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 01:14pm 18 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys. There was some progress today, with a first tea tray test. My wife wanted a trip out to Wisley Gardens, and it ended up being the first MicroMite Tea Tray Test. Check out [www] which is www.gpss.co.uk/micromit.htm I will try and add one of the video frames here.
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

www.gpss.co.uk/micromit.htm

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:45pm 18 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have to ask Robin,

Why do you appear to be driving on the WRONG side of the road?

Have you considered my offer of a built up MuP for your endeavours?

Regards,

Mick
Edited by bigmik 2017-02-19
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 06:21pm 18 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Posted: 18 February 2017 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Report Post Quote bigmik
I have to ask Robin,
Why do you appear to be driving on the WRONG side of the road?
Have you considered my offer of a built up MuP for your endeavours?
Regards,
Mick
Edited by bigmik on 18 February 2017 at 11:45pm_________________
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found HERE

Blooming Ozzies ! Formal "Request for Quoation" (RFQ) follows shortly.

Made me pleased to creep out of bed at 0300, to fire up the PC's. Samantha got back from her party about the time you posted your offer ( sorry had not picked up on it, due to stuff going on her, mostly related to blooming Russian stuff. You will get a private email to put you in touch with Aleksey, when we get confirmation that he has checked a page, currently hidden, the link to which will initially go to a "small circle of friends", before it becomes public, perhaps within as little as a week, but could be more. The fact that you have been sent the link will probably be mentioned by me as a "one liner" on this "Back Shed MicroMite Forum". I've no idea of timescales, but Aleksy will probably start, perhaps with local help in Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia, with getting something like an old iPAQ or Mio Pocket PC off ebay, up and Running with GPSSppc ( free download on my www.gpss.co.uk ). This has a free Autopilot in it, configurable with text files, last used by me in about 2011, before we switched to the Picaxe to get the power down to the required levels. Anyone is welcome to download GPSS/GPSSppc on this forum, and I'll give free support if the follow the procedure on my DOWNLOAD page - but I'd rather they don't waste their time. A response on this forum in competition to you would be welcome - but my judgement is that they would be wasting their time on that too. I would have to go down memory lane to give an example. Maybe my friend Rudi near Sydney who I can put you in touch with, if you send me a very short direct email. Say what you like about any offer, to Rudi, but better that he be pointed to this Forum again. His was one of the earlier visitors to my "MicroMite" page.

Well worth me spending this time typing all this cr*p in, since I can copy and paste it in to others like Aleksey. I will be p*ss*d off if I hit a wrong key and lose it all.

Now that RFQ: please provide a simple little spec on this forum ( I'm tempted to do one anyway in a few hours, but obviously will not start if I see it from you here ). It will show a little rectangle with flying leads ( based on Futaba or similar servo cables. Only the compass needs 4 wires ). The leads should be no less than about 6 inches ( or that x 2.51 ) long, and certainly less than 100 yards/metres, to economize on your postal costs ).

Sorry if I make a mistake here, and I'll try not to cheat and edit this post, other than a p.s. but the leads shall comply with pin connections and function on my "MicroMite" page and with Roy's prototype tested on the road yesterday.

1) 3 wires for GPS, black = 0v, red = +5v, white = NMEA into MicroMite on COM1.
2) standard servo wire out with a standard Futaba servo socket.
3) standard servo power wire out with Futaba socket to receive 5v power.
Good if the white wire is removed so easy to see this is for 5v power input to board.
4) 4 wires out that can easily be soldered by any twit like myself, onto those 4 pins poking out of one end of a CMP10 or CMP11 Devantech Compass. This lead might be extended by us to get away from ferrous materials, but that is a trivial job.

( hope I've not forgotten anything ).

I'll cut the cr*p typing in formal acceptance and deliver stuff. But a budgetary price for delivery here in UK would be good. You do not need to disclose details on this forum of any "facilitating payments" through Swiss banks ( Aleksey has hacked into their computers already ). If the deal includes taking guys from the camps on your northern coast, then you should be advised that the deal must be exclusive, and not be made available to the new USA Government under my friend Donald. We have other negotiations in train, already in the Public Domain, related to UK Brexit, addressed on my "Bigger Picture" page. Visitors to this forum include our collaborators near San Francisco and New York.

MMmmm - over an hour to type that in, but I'm looking forward to pasting it into email replies to guys like Aleksey. I will do my version of a draft spec piccy, if needed, in a few hours - if the wife will let me. Time to creep back to bed without waking June :-)

Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

p.s.
5) USB/UART connect to the MicroMite that takes zero or insignificant power from the 5v supply when used in the boat. If included it shall draw less than 5mA - preferably much less or zero. Solution used by Roy would be perfect.
i.e. adapter supplied with Futaba or similar plug or socket. Flexability on solution here.

6) Text-To-Speech from COM2 on Futaba socket to receive Futaba plug on Parallax EMIC TTS unit. As already documented and in Roy's tested system.

p.p.s.
7) Size of board shall be less than 2.5 inches x 2 inches x 1 inch high, including the Futaba Plugs into the pins on the board (Roy's solution).
But if all flying leads, the Futaba plugs are not near the board. i.e. no need to
solder wires onto those rising pins as we have on the Picaxe. The unit is simply encapsulated, and flying leads cut and soldered into the Robot Boat System.
If the board can be even smaller, that has benefit. e.g. the Picaxe 08M2 based autopilots fit into a pill box, with the Globalsat BR355 or now BR355-S2 sat on top. Therefore able to fit into toy boats as small as Affinity ( 0.6 metre length ). Insufficient for Atlantic Crossing without additional 5v power switching from the Picaxe computer - tested in 28X2 Prototypes in 2014.

But KISS = "Keep It Simple, Stupid". Ref my design page on
www.gpss.co.uk/rbdesign.htm ;-)

Have adopted a strategy here of continuing the night sleeping on the downstairs sofa. It reduces the risk of suffering physical abuse from my wife, when she eventually gets up this morning. I have my gollywog to keep me company - much admired by my local Member of Parliament, Adam, on my "Grumpy" and other pages such as "Bluebell". I jest not :-)
Edited by Robin Lovelock 2017-02-20

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:35pm 18 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A little trick when you post a long text on a forum is to first type it into for instance notepad. You then have time to edit it and once finished it is just a copy/paste action. Webbrowsers have a terrible feature that when you press the backspace key it goes back one page in history when the focus of the cursor is not in the text box. So once you click outside the textbox and hit backspace, booom your text is gone.

(Yeah even this short post is done first in notepad :) )
My version of K.I.S.S is Keep It Super Simple.
Edited by MicroBlocks 2017-02-20
Microblocks. Build with logic.

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 10:17pm 18 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the tip MicroBlocks - should have though of that. Orefer to just paste in what I did before ao, better still, a link. If anyone can count the words in that posting, I can work out my slow words/minute :-)

Big Mick: now that it is light, am about to creep upstairs as quietly as I can, and get into bed, without too much having to worry about "taking consequences" :-)

Definitely expect to follow up later this morning, UK time ( when you guys are in beddy byes ), with a simple little picture, I may unclude it, with tidied up text from that earlier posting, into my tidy up of my "MicroMite" page under [www] below.

The tidy up should not take too long: making many of those big pictures smaller, but expanding if you click on them. Sometimes just a strip across the screen.

I often avoid a "Contents List" or structuring of my pages. Usualy for laziness, but mostly so the reader is obliged to see something in context. Maybe missed ny most journalists talking about dear Donald. I vaguely recall a guy called "Trump" - maybe when I typed in that message to Ozzies, that Snoopy wrote for me, before my setting up that "MicroMite" page. I should have attached a picture here: he was quite famous when I was a kid: an American, and he got a lot of film work from Walt.

After the tidy up, I'll probably check the Picaxe thread about Snoopy, and put a link to this thread, since it was from there that led me to this Forum. Thanks to the guy who is on both Forums: he can look at the start of my "Snoopy's Robot Boat Autopilot" thread ( or whatever it was called ), and see how much effort went into converting that iPAQ based autopilot, with source code almost identical to MMBASIC, into a working system. There was also a significant amount of work, years before that, converting from Visual Basic 2 ( VB2 ), started not longer after it came out, and used in GPSS, launched as a Windows application, on those millions of PC magazines from about 1995. This VB2 code, always my copyright, was inheritted from my EASAMS days, but goes back far earlier than that. My first DOS based software dated from Microsoft Basic running under DOS in the early 1990s ( or was it late 1980s ?) before we got our first 386 PC in the Lovelock house, to run stuff done at EASAMS on 286 military kit. Those were the days when the hard work was done by guys like Jim, and Polish Stef, exploiting code that I'd given them from when I joined EASAMS in 1981 from SHAPE Technical Centre - the NATO place in Holland. When I joined EASAMS, I got official release of source code I'd written in CORAL66 - like ALGOL and JOVIAL used in the NADGE built by Hugh's Aircraft Corporation(HAC). HAC were a Partner - on my "Partners" page - with collaboration prior to the second Gulf War, between my Sunninghill Systems, HAC, and Radio Hams in Baghdad, using Thuraya to access the Net, under the nose of Saddam. But let me jump back in time again, to those NATO days, and my code written in CORAL. That took little of my time, and was written between 1971 and 1975, while most of my time was managing those brilliant Dutch and German engineers, who put the PDP11 based system into SACEUR's bunker. This is UNCLASSIFIED because I briefed it at an International Symposia in The Hague, in about 1981. But going back to 1971 ... When I joined STC (NATO place above ) I purchased CORAL66 from Ferranti, so I could exploit CORAL66 code ( in my head ? ) within the CAAIS software I'd written to go into the Royal Navy Type 21 Frigates. That was about 1970, when Roy, my wife June, my sister Sally, and others in our current "Snoopy inner circle", worked together at Ferranti in Bracknell, which at that time was UK's Silicon Valley. Before that, at City University London, in the late 1960s, I got involved by accident in my tutor buying a Ferranti FM1600B that I'd worked on the veroboad prototypes, as an apprentice in the labs. The Ferranti Pegasus had software more advanced (ALGOL like, and machine code, of course) than ....

... that'll do I will be going back further with stuff to plug into my "History" page which has a piccy of me with Pegasus - the World's first production digital computer of about 1949 vintage. It's heritage was from Bletchly Park, and my workmate Nigel, who sat opposite me at Ferranti ( 1970 ), is now finishing, in his garage, the kit to go into their museum. He may be interested in the MicroMite when he finishes that project.

Sometimes I get distracted - but it saves me a lot of time in the long term :-)

Time to creep upstairs :-)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk
and pages such as "History" on
www.gpss.co.uk/history.htm

Edited by Robin Lovelock 2017-02-20

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 01:39am 19 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Big Mick. Sorry for the delay in putting up that picture, but there may still be time in the next two hours.

It has been hectic getting to what happened a few minutes ago: sending out an email to a handful of friends and family, putting them in contact with Aleksey in Siberia via his page, not yet public, on my pages.

There is a grumpy old Pole near New York who might wish to be included, along with Ted and Karen on the west coast. You too if you like in Oz. If so, please send me a direct email, my reply, CCd to Aleksey, will also include Rudi near Sydney.

Which reminds me - it would be great if "Mr MicroMite" in Perth, Oz, could see my page, this thread, and send me a direct email, so I might include him too. But before that, I'd need him to at least visit my "Home" page, and tell me a little about himself. On this forum is fine. I love his "up front" description on his "About" page, including mug shot, that I saw from the start. But all of us old men have changing circumstances, which can effect ability to chat, or what we want to chat about.

So far, Karen in USA is only lady among us I know. She can always grumble with my wife and three daughters :-)

So, about to get dressed, and MAYBE put that piccy up later :-)
Work on the MicroMite software and video must wait another day perhaps.
Only if June is watching something really boring on TV :-)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 10:30pm 19 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick, Roy, Mr MicroMite in Perth, Aleksey (?), let's hope I don't divulge any confidences, with these extracts with important stuff like reply to Big Mick which was CCd to an "inner circle" including family. An lovely email has just come in from Aleksey at 0815 UK time (+ 7 Hours for him ) stuff without his mobile phone number will follow Mick's soon, then I hope to add some pictures from yesterday ....

part of reply to Big Mick >>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Mick. Well, both you and Roy now have ALL the stuff
Depending on what June want's to do, and my getting a few more hours shut-eye, I hope to put stuff up onto the MicroMite page later today, Sunday.
In brief, yesterday was only another few minutes of changes of my MMAUTOP1.BAS ( doing careful backups each day ) but I think we are making good progress.
Now, after "work" in the early hours, mostly by my PCs, I now have three 1 hour DVD of unedited video from yesterday.
One now also on our lounge PC hard disk, if any visitor like Roy or Dick wants to see it.
They can also take away a DVD, so long as they handle it carefully

I'm making such rapid progress, that I'll hold off doing that proper edited MicroMite video.
e.g. yesterday we have it speaking range in Km when more than 500 metres.
I'm tempted to make this miles, as on the Picaxe, so we mix European (and military) metric, with Imperial miles.
Not exactly a big change: just * 1.61

First I want to get that GPS input from COM1 more reliable.
I would not post this stuff on the Back Shed, because I'd probably risk lots of guys saying "I would not do it that way".
But, if you, Roy, or myself, don't crack it, with just a few tens of minutes work.
I've been putting in delays, and including the OPEN and CLOSE in the loop - when they normally would not be.
This was after doing it the more obvious way. I've assumed their MAY be timing limitations in the firmware.
Best not pass this email to anyone else yet.

But I'd love Geoff in Perth to touch base by email if he is able.
I've not put Roy's Autopilot test program through similar tests, because it has no TTS.
Things went so fast, within very little time, that there was no need.
I started with some of his lines of code, you may see commented out here.

ANYWAY: if and when I get the GPS input running reliably, hopefully soon, and MAYBE even today,
it should be a breeze to add a lot of important waypoints, for a third, road test.
I may also, very soon, try my latest program in my little boards I had no faith in, because they failed.
IF one works, I might be doing a Bray Lake test in the next week or two.

BUT the important potential break through is the Synergy with that old iPAQ Autopilot on www.gpss.co.uk/rb08to10.htm
I may permit the program to configure itself if it sees that TXT file.
If so, and anyone like Alex, or other guys who used GPSS, like Terry in Fleet - Damn should have included him in that first reply.
Will do after this. If I forget, Terry can remind me.
e.g. his GPS simulator, or my old one, could be used anywhere in the World to run the iPAQ autopilot

- and MAYBE our MicroMite one - although I'd probably want to use that PIN option.
If it works, it will make the robot boat software so easy, MicroTransat teams might downsize their boats and we'd lose our advantage

Maybe add an SD card drive. Can then use that for GPS logging of the very same data read by the Autopilot.
Every 1 second ( or perhaps near that ) on Bray Lake Tests, down to every hour or less, in the Atlantic ( 1 year + ).

But the GPS handling is more critical, so let me sign off with the relevant section of code, in confidence, below your email.
'Orrible aint it
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

On 20/02/2017 03:38, Mick Gulovsen wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> I am sorry you have confused my (very) simple mind with your last couple of posts.... I am referring to an offer I made to send you a Completely built MuP (either Ver 2 or 3) for your use in the Yacht project.

REST DELETED HERE FOR NOW. YES, NO HARM IN YOU SEEING MY "WOULD NOT DO IT THAT WAY" REMARK :-)

ALEKSEY'S EMAIL TO FOLLOW WITH AN EDIT
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

P.S. ABOUT TO PASTE IN ALEXEY'S EMAIL TO ME. HE MIGHT NOT MIND HIS MOBILE PHONE NUMBER APPEARING, BUT I HOPE I DELETE ENOUGH OF IT HERE. NOT SURE IF HIS TRANSLATOR CAN READ THIS FORUM YET. HERE GOES
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Goog Morning Robin. Yesterday, when I wrote to you: "A finished product is wanted (needed)" , I meant only the mechanical part of the Sailing Saucer. This is the hull, the sail and the keel. With regard to electronics and programming, then I can't do this part of the work. I just want to show how to make the vehicle (carrier) quickly and cheaply. For the first experiment, it is important. High technology is not for me. I always worked with conventional materials. I will also show, how to control (steer) the boat. Now, I can only say, that the scheme "GPS -> Computer -> Rudder servo" is required to control the Sailing Saucer. And energy consumption of "Rudder servo" will be between 100 and 300 joules per an hour. This is for a Sailing Saucer, which will have the diameter of 2.0-2.5 meters.

Robin, I've written to you my correct number of mobile phone. +7(923)-1
***** [REDACTED BY ROBIN ON THIS BACK SHED FORUM]
+7 is Russia's country code. 923 is the code of the operator "Megafon". But, I will try to find out the reason, why you couldn't get through to me. Could you give me your number of mobile phone? I will try to send the SMS to you.

Thanks for the pictures.

Aleksey

20.02.2017 3:43, Robin Lovelock пишет:
> Hi Aleksey. I am working on adding this to your page now. It will also go on that MicroMite page later: www.gpss.co.uk/micromit.htm
> June wanted to go to Wisley Gardens today again, and we met old friends from the 1970s. It was a great day for MicroMite testing.
> Lots of video to save on DVD for possible use in the future ! :-)
> But, if I get the MicroMite working reliably, perhaps I should make the MicroMite compatible with the iPAQ Autopilot.
> i.e. you get a boat working with an iPAQ, then switch to a MicroMite, using the same TXT file for waypoints, etc :-)
> Robin
> www.gpss.co.uk

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ABOUT TO REPLY TO ALEX WITH MY MOBILE +44 7736 353 404 that has been unchanged for years on my web site www.gpss.co.uk "Contact" page, and all those videos and pictures catching the sails of Snoopy's boat, in local and National papers, TV, etc.

Yet I hardly get any spam texts on my old Nokia 'phone :-)

Pictures later :-)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

p.p.s ALL LOOKS GOOD. WILL CONTINUE ON ANOTHER REPLY, BECAUSE DON'T KNOW IF LIMITATION HERE.

Edited by Robin Lovelock 2017-02-21

Robin Lovelock

Posted: 11:05pm 19 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Continuing after my >>>>>>

ABOUT TO REPLY TO ALEX WITH MY MOBILE +44 7736 353 404 that has been unchanged for years on my web site www.gpss.co.uk "Contact" page, and all those videos and pictures catching the sails of Snoopy's boat, in local and National papers, TV, etc.

Yet I hardly get any spam texts on my old Nokia 'phone :-)

Pictures later :-)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

p.p.s ALL LOOKS GOOD. WILL CONTINUE ON ANOTHER REPLY, BECAUSE DON'T KNOW IF LIMITATION HERE.

Edited by Robin Lovelock on 20 February 2017 at 9:03am

<<<<<<<<<<<<<
REPLY TO ALEX WAS EASY PASTING SOME OF POSTING ABOVE.
NOW ADDING THE PICTURES THAT WERE SENT A FEW HOURS AGO TO THAT "INNER CIRCLE" WHICH IS WIDENING RAPIDLY, AND MAY SOON BE JUST "PUBLIC". BUT REMEMBER, I'M ADVISING ALEKSEY TO CHECK WITH TRUSTED FAMILY AND FRIENDS, USING PRINTOUT IF NEEDED IF THEY ARE NOT ON THE NET. JUNE AND I KNOW HOW HECTIC IT GETS WHEN THERE ARE LOTS OF JOURNALIST TRYING TO CONTACT YOU BY PHONE. WE JUST ASK "WHAT ARE YOU READING ON THE NET ?". OFTEN THEY HAVE JUST BEEN GIVEN OUR TELEPHONE NUMBER. IT SAVES LOTS OF TIME. REMEMBER THAT ALEXEY'S TRANSLATION SOFTWARE, LIKE GOOGLE TRANSLATE, MAY NOT HANDLE SPELLING MISTAKES OR JARGON WELL.
Pictures should appear if I do it OK. Hope Mick is happy with my including one of his.

Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

p.s. temporary snag I hope. I normally enter the picture URL, but these are in my c:\tmp folder - so will try another button :-)

Yep, think I did it with the next one along. I have to be careful about that picture of Brian, because I'd hate him to hear that someone saw it before him. He lives very near Eric and maybe Roy and/or Eric will see Brian very soon. I've got a 1 hour unedited DVD for both Brian and Roy.

June is moving around in the bathroom, so I may be able to catch another hour of sleep, until it becomes free. You know what women are like, getting ready to go out. Sorry Karen :-)

Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

p.ps. Damn - I wonder where those pictures went ? I used the last but one edit button. No Probs for Big Mick or anyone to add them on this thread. That raises an interesting security question: Is it easy to delete a picture after it's been uploaded ?

Don't worry about it, I'm sure all of this forum is available to almost everyone in every country. Not just our friends in UK GCHQ, US CIA and FBI, China and Russia. If school kids can hack into government computers, one needs to bear that in mind before putting it into a keyboard connected to the Net. Same applies to mobile and landline 'phones.

But no point in getting paranoid about it - just bear it in mind. Those who eventually see yesterday's video will love some of the clips. Would you believe it - the four of us at Wisley Gardens, bumped into Donald ! I may follow up later today with a photo of us together.

Robin
www.gpss.co.uk
0930 and still waiting for the bathroom :-)

p.s. exited this full screen window to see the "please be patient" ones - so some or all may appear here some time. "Watermark" was ticked. It might be useful in future, but I would add it myself on the image, as you will see on my pages.

If you have not done so already, click on [www] below, and go down to near the end of the page, and Extract from Aleksey's Sailing Saucer page ....

June just came downstairs... "OK Darling are you dressed ? OK to use the bathroom ?".

Looks like I will see Saskia when she picks June up to go for an "afternoon tea" somewhere local, for some one-to-one stuff. Gives me plenty of time for power dozing or popping out to see Jack, 97: maybe give him a trip out in the car.

It's absolutely baking temperatures in UK, Alex. Well above freezing.

Over and Out - for now :-)

Edited by Robin Lovelock 2017-02-21

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024