Menu
JAQForum Ver 19.10.27

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : micromite Extreme

Posted: 10:50am
02 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
zeitfest
Guru

A few years ago there was a "Extreme" Micromite I think ? 100 or 144 pin at that.
Based on a pic32MZ EF 2048 I think. At 200 Mhz and heaps of memory etc the hardware is still reasonable but pricey. Is there a MMBasic for it ?

Posted: 11:44am
02 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
TassyJim
Guru

Posted: 11:47am
02 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
Quazee137
Guru

Here is the manual
The Manual for it

Posted: 10:46pm
02 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
panky
Guru

A new updated version of the manual can be found here

Doug

Posted: 12:08am
03 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
panky
Guru

Managed to trim down the size of the manual so the latest cut is attached.

Micromite eXtreme Manual_v0.20.pdf

Doug.

Posted: 05:12am
03 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
panky
Guru

The latest version I am aware of is 5.05.04 from here

The thread with other details is here

Doug.

Posted: 06:35am
03 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
Frank N. Furter
Guru

The latest (beta) version should actually be V5.07.00b0:
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=16185&P=1

Frank

Posted: 01:07pm
03 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
zeitfest
Guru

Thanks  

Posted: 01:29pm
03 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
Volhout
Guru

5.07.01b5

End of that same thread...

Volhout

Posted: 11:10am
04 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
zeitfest
Guru

My impression is, there are no hardware suppliers active ?

Posted: 05:52am
05 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
panky
Guru

More tidying up of the manual -

Micromite eXtreme Manual_v0.23.pdf

Posted: 07:04am
05 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
Mixtel90
Guru

AFAIK there is no-one selling MMX PCBs at the moment. Is the chip even available at a sensible price now?

Posted: 08:43pm
05 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
palcal
Guru

@ zeitfest, if you are looking for MM.extreme I may have something lying around, I used to build up everything going to give me something to do. I know I built a couple, I will see if I can dig them up.

Posted: 02:17am
06 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
zeitfest
Guru

Many thanks !  (edited) although, I am not trying to get boards.
The reason I asked was that I designed and built a  small pcb pcb for the pic32MZ some time ago.

It runs ok and I am pleased with it, it wasn't specifically designed as a MMX / eXtrem platform but looks like it runs it OK using alternate serial io pins.
So I am wondering if it worth a final tweak to connect the standard io pins, which should make it ok for MMX.
I might do it anyway as an exercise, but I doubt it will go anywhere.

Most projects here seem to go the same route : someone has a good idea, invests time and resources, puts it on TBS, maybe Silicon Chip puts it "design ideas" section...it then gets steamrollered/superseded by similar aim projects by people with apparently infinite resources, and a month or so later there might be a kit project in SC,  at a kit cost that quite deters people, or no supplier at all. That then bypasses and obliterates any real commercial or mindshare future of the original project...Net effect, backward.
Edited 2024-05-06 12:24 by zeitfest

Posted: 07:30am
06 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
matherp
Guru

There are a wide range of MMX PCB designs 144-pin, 100-pin, 64-pin posted on TBS but they all suffer from the fact that the uP chip would need hand soldering and this is perceived as too difficult by many

If the MMX was to be seriously revived then a PCB design with a proper BOM and CPL that could then be manufactured by JLC would be a pre-requisite. Just posting gerbers doesn't solve the soldering issue.

Then you have to ask why? The STM32H7 is twice as fast as the PIC32MZ for the same price. The STM32 IDE/Compiler is free (the PIC compilers are expensive) and the PIC IDE is much harder to use. I did bring the MMX source up to a reasonably compatible and modern version (5.07.01b5) but don't intend to invest more time in it.

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024