Menu
JAQForum Ver 19.10.27

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Stepper-Motors to Closed-Loop Servos

Posted: 01:51pm
03 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
PhenixRising
Guru

This guy has done it

The same thing that I have proposed, except that he did it with off-the-shelf components.

Eliminated the stepper-drivers and hooked the pulse and direction signals directly to Clearpath Servo Motors

No more lost pulses, stalling, noise and greater speed potential  

Posted: 02:59pm
03 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
Martin H.
Guru

Impressive, I didn't know that servos are as precise as stepper motors.
CoreXY is a good choice, as the motors themselves do not have to be moved, so they can be a bit more stable.I have converted my 6 year old Ender 4 to tmc2208 stepper drivers, so the only thing that is noisy are the fans and the Z-Steps.

Posted: 04:33pm
03 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
PhenixRising
Guru

Martin H. said  Impressive, I didn't know that servos are as precise as stepper motors.

Far more precise. In my case, I haven't used anything greater than a 4096-line encoder which when quadrature-decoded is 4096*4=16,384 counts/revolution and this is @6,000RPM and so I need to read 1.6M+ counts/sec. Thanks to @Volhout, the PicoMite can now easily handle this.
Servos are used on all industrial CNCs and robots. One of the many benefits is the ability to torque limit. I use this when there's a possibility of a machine collision; I provide just enough torque to position the load. If someone makes a programming error and the machine collides, it's usually harmless.

This "force limiting" is also what they use for "Cobots". A Cobot can work alongside a human and if they should come into contact, the servos go "soft" and can even retract.
Collaborative Robot

CoreXY is a good choice, as the motors themselves do not have to be moved, so they can be a bit more stable.I have converted my 6 year old Ender 4 to tmc2208 stepper drivers, so the only thing that is noisy are the fans and the Z-Steps.

Minimizing moving mass is always a good thing but sometimes that can be at the expense of increased backlash in the required transmission. Always a trade-off  

Posted: 09:35am
12 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
darthvader

For nema 17 i have use this Servo 42c/d some time ago and it worked perfectly ;)

Makerbase MKS SERVO 42D

The 3D printer board can send the pulse / direction to each drivers as usual then the closed loop from Servo 42d is not able to loose any step and you get a good precision in movement.

If you want to make bigger one they exist for nema 23 motor too.

Posted: 05:48am
13 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard
PhenixRising
Guru

darthvader said  For nema 17 i have use this Servo 42c/d some time ago and it worked perfectly ;)

Makerbase MKS SERVO 42D

The 3D printer board can send the pulse / direction to each drivers as usual then the closed loop from Servo 42d is not able to loose any step and you get a good precision in movement.

If you want to make bigger one they exist for nema 23 motor too.

Very cool. Added to my AE cart just out of curiosity. Too limited for my applications but perfect for the intended purpose.  

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024