| Menu | JAQForum Ver 26.09 |
Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Prince of
Full details in the zip file. Needs 6.03.02b12 or later and RP2350 HDMI or VGA build with PSRAM PrinceOfPico.zip ![]() Level 1 screens ![]() |
||||||
First Impression: Great, that worked. Some Points of criticism (not directed at you, I guess that's because of the source files): The playing field is narrower, so you can't see the paths on the left side, and the graphics are far below what they could be on the Pico, but the gameplay itself looks good. Edited 2026-09-21 20:47 by Martin H. |
||||||
It is a direct convert of the BBC version. If you want to have a play with colours or graphics then please do hopefully the game engine itself should allow for it. |
||||||
Yes, I found the BMP files where the tiles are stored. I'll take a look to see if and how I can edit them. But the game is running just fine —I just keep dying way too early to make it through the level. ![]() |
||||||
A big improvement would be to update the sprites which I think are all in one file. You would then need to look at the use of the map statement in the program. The transparent colour is currently 11 so you have the other 15 to play with. |
||||||
One problem, among others, is that the Apple II generated some of its colors using the NTSC error, which is why some colors are stored as vertical lines in the source files. This results in only half the horizontal resolution and is difficult to convert. Here are two examples: the Apple graphic and my adaptation: On the left is CUTROOM.BMP from the Apple II; on the right is my version. Below that is the sprite sheet “sheet4.bmp,” and next to it is my initial attempt to improve the sprites for RGB 121. I keep the sprites in the same position and at the same size so that no adjustments to the program code are necessary; the only thing that’s omitted is the “MAP” command. The corresponding lines can then be REMed out. ![]() I'm using the Sega Genesis version as a guide, but I'm not just copying the images as they are. I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me, but I'm already looking forward to the result Cheers Martin |
||||||
Wauw Martin, This is going to be beautiful. Can't wait to play it with your upgraded tiles. Volhout |
||||||
So, here's a quick update: I've now customized about 90% of the Prince animation sprites and some parts of the environment; next up are the enemies. The program has been modified so that it no longer executes the MAP commands. PoPico ![]() cheers Martin Edited 2026-10-03 19:34 by Martin H. |
||||||
I think you need a few changes to make the game very slightly different and give Ubisoft's lawyers a giggle. Prince of Preston - The search for the Holy Beard Trimmer Although I don't remember Preston being quite so rocky and I believe they have installed electric lighting now. :) (Lovely work, Martin!) . Edited 2026-10-03 20:01 by Mixtel90 |
||||||
In my thread title I called it Prince of Pico but somehow that went missing. I think perhaps I put a quote in the line. The same happened to the thread title of V7.00.00 which should have had "Scotty: I need more power" after the colon. Martin: looks great! Edited 2026-10-03 20:06 by matherp |
||||||
Nice work Martin !! Please notice Peters comment that the PoPico core does not run on V7 b3 and b4, you need b5 to run it. Volhout Edited 2026-10-05 17:14 by Volhout |
||||||
Volhout I haven't done an update yet. Right now I'm still using 6.02.03b12. I'm only working on the pixel graphics, not the program. That's enough to keep me busy for now. To adjust the graphics, I’ll of course have to change a few lines in the program as well... Comment out the MAP SET, decrease the player’s sprite-position by 6 pixels (so it does no longer run along the edge of the corridors , as seen in the video)... etc. So just minor adjustments. The only problem I'm having is that while I can save the Basic file, I can't load it anymore (out of memory). You can see that at the beginning of the video, too... The Pico stores 152,235 bytes. However, the program is only 144 KB (147,456 bytes) long. That just barely fits. If I edit and save it in Notepad++, this “mysterious memory expansion” doesn’t happen. Now I have to move a few more pixels. |
||||||
Martin, if you upgrade to V7.00.00b5 you will have more memory available |
||||||
| The Back Shed's forum code is written, and hosted, in Australia. |