Menu
JAQForum Ver 26.09

Forum Index : Electronics : I need a compressor/expander.....

Posted: 08:52am
01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard
Grogster
Admin Group


Many exist in 19" rack form, with controls up the backside, but I just want a simple compressor/expander with VERY little controls, that will boost quite bits, and turn-down loud bits, WITHOUT needing to have a degree in audio engineering to use the bloody thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions or links?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!
 
Posted: 09:44am
01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard
Revlac
Guru


Well at the time I didn't know much about them and had a look, Here  a lot popped up and is quite a selection and yes mostly rack mount.  DBX Compressor Limiter, seen else wear is low price.

Now a while back Audacity was able to do some of this sort of work on a track, might be worth a try.
 
Posted: 02:05pm
01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard
Chopperp
Guru


Silicon Chip put out this many years ago.
Probably not want you want though.
Also, the SA571 compander chip may be hard to get as well.

Brian
 
Posted: 08:45pm
01 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard
TassyJim
Guru


The NE571 is available on Ebay 16pin DIP for ~$1AU each in lots of 10

Jim
 
Posted: 04:46am
02 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard
Grogster
Admin Group


@ Aaron: Yeah, those are the things I can get quite easily from many different music instrument stores, but they are COVERED in knobs and switches and I just find them too complicated to setup and use.  Also, I want to put this in place at a village community hall in front of the mixer, and anything with lots of knobs and switches will not only confuse the residents, but some residents will not be able to stop themselves from twiddling knobs and pushing buttons, and will screw up all the settings.  I could hide a rack-type unit behind locked doors, I suppose, but still...

@ Brian: YES, that is the kind of thing I am wanting, and now that you linked me to it, I remember that article.  I am pretty sure I have that issue in my SC collection, so I will dig up that issue and have a wee read.  

@ Jim: Authentic or fakes I wonder....  
 
Posted: 05:10am
02 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard
Grogster
Admin Group


eBay do indeed seem to be selling authentic, laser-engraved Philips brand SA571N's, so I ordered some.

LINK...

Seller has a history of over 500,000 trades, and feedback of 99.6% so these are probably the genuine article, and the seller is an honest one.
Edited 2026-10-02 15:23 by Grogster
 
Posted: 11:11am
03 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard
Chopperp
Guru


Thanks Grogs,
Please let us know how you get on.

Brian
 
Posted: 10:42pm
03 Oct 2026
Copy link to clipboard
Grogster
Admin Group


I will.  

SC still sell the PCB and case panels for this project, so I ordered a couple of each.
Way easier then me re-inventing the wheel.  

It looks like a good solid but simple design, the simple bit is the part I like!    
 


To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

The Back Shed's forum code is written, and hosted, in Australia.
© JAQ Software 2026