Subject Topic: Batteries Post ReplyPost New Topic
<< Prev Page of 2
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BenandAmber
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 May 2019 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote BenandAmber

Okay I will keep my eye out for some acid the batteries are new right now but after I use them for 6 months to a year I was planning on maybe trying to do this to make them last longer

Back to Top View BenandAmber's Profile Search for other posts by BenandAmber

brucedownunder2
Guru
Guru

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote brucedownunder2

Hi Boppa and others interested,

A story of when I was working in PNG (thats a jungle joint up the road from Oz ..

Anyhow , microwave radio hut , installing solar power for the radio..

We had this French idiot working with us and believe it or not I found him and his mate (also a Frog) , using a gas torch to lead burn the connecting links to huge 2 volt batteries.

Disaster was sure to happen-- they did cover the batteries with wet hessian bags ,but the bloody batteries were hooked up to the solar and charging at 48 volts . Well ,yep, you guessed right --BANG .. bloody glass (the batt cases were glass) , acid and molten lead exploded everywhere.

Anyhow , me and a couple other guys picked this guy up and dunked him in the water tank next to the shed-thank God there was plenty of water .(Rains every hour in PNG ),

end of story , we packed him up with the first aid kit and one of the missionaries came to the rescue and finished the job(patching him that is)..

He learn't a very important lesson that day -- Oh, no hospital or anything like that ,this was in the jungle, helicopter only transport.

Bruce

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote Boppa

We never used the gas torch lol

But we did use to do 'terminal post reforming' on the batteries at times, but that was done with batteries that had been offcharge for a good period(memory it was 24hrs?maybe 48hrs?) and we used the 'carbon rod' and jumperlead method (except that wasn't allowed, no jumpers were allowed at all in the battery area, we had a special lead made up with a sealed oilbath knife switch and a battery terminal that had to be fitted to the other post of the battery...

You fitted the steel form over the remains of the post, filled it with lead balls(I suspect they were tiny fishing sinkers lol) about 3mm in diameter, put the carbon rod into mix and pushed the switch lever down, after a few seconds of current being applied, you started swirling the rod around and topping up the mold with more lead balls until it was full to the top, kill the power, pull the rod and and swipe with a knife to give a clean 'top' to the post...

Wait a couple of minutes and pull the form off- bingo, one new shiny battery post...
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

renewableMark
Guru
Guru

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote renewableMark

BenandAmber wrote:
Renewablemark did you end up getting you a forklift battery

Yes I did mate, 630Ah 48v, seems to be plenty for our needs.

If you want something for your RV don't forget you can't use the flooded type as they expel gas when being charged, and actually a little under load.

BenandAmber
Guru
Guru

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote BenandAmber

After that story there's an image burned into my brain

I don't think I will ever forget to make sure a battery is not charging before having any kind of Flame around it

you never told us what happened to the Frog

BenandAmber
Guru
Guru

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote BenandAmber

I have taken the 3-cylinder diesel generator out

Out of the its bay to make room for batteries charge controller and inverter

This Bay is vented I'm not sure if I would have to use non-vented batteries or not

but after the story from above I better be checking into it

I know the very back smallest Bay has three very large batteries 4 starting the bus

The bays are huge you could fit a washer and dryer side by side in them and it is 8 ft wide or deep what ever you would call it

Edited by BenandAmber on 05 May 2019 at 5:28pm

renewableMark
Guru
Guru

Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote renewableMark

They produce hydrogen gas (which rises). (and goes Kabooooom)

They also produce a mist from the electrolyte evaporating and it's slightly acidic.
If that's in a luggage compartment of your bus then it will eat away at the metal unless you pay very good attention to venting.

I fitted a hood over the top of mine made from core flute plastic stuff. Signs are often made from this.
Then fitted a fan to extract the gasses, mine runs out the top of the garage roof.
here

Edited by renewableMark on 05 May 2019 at 7:41pm

BenandAmber
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 May 2019 at 11:54am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote BenandAmber

Renewablemark

That is a very good idea
I'm really worried about it

I think I will do something very similar in the bus

my family is going to be in this bus

that would not be good if something blew up or acidic gas

I'm trying to run any of my concerns past you guys

I can't think of everything I'm not educated enough to think of everything

So thank you for taking your time to help me and my family be a little bit safer

Edited by BenandAmber on 06 May 2019 at 12:12pm

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote Boppa

I had a vented enclosure under the utes tray, but in the exploder I used a set of vented battery boxes as they sat on the floor behind the front seats (plus when I first bought it I was still smoking- that and charging batteries right behind me seemed a bad idea....

Similar to this, they had a small plastic outlet you could attach plastic tubing to, which I ran out the same door that had the solar panel wires running out of (I just never opened that door lol)

Edited by Boppa on 06 May 2019 at 12:40pm
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version