<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicroBlocks
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 12 January 2018 at 2:30am | IP Logged Quote MicroBlocks

Maybe an alternative could be a serial flash chip. They are small and cheap and could function as a storage device to save a program. It could then also automatically load from it.

Back to Top View MicroBlocks's Profile Search for other posts by MicroBlocks

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 January 2018 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote JohnS

Can one easily be retro-fitted to a (Colour) Maximite, though?

John
Back to Top View JohnS's Profile Search for other posts by JohnS

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 January 2018 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

MicroBlocks wrote:
Maybe an alternative could be a serial flash chip. They are small and cheap and could function as a storage device to save a program. It could then also automatically load from it.

Agree with this. Jean beat me to it Pete M did some work on the W25Q32FVSIG 32mbit (4mbyte) Flash Memory just recently - maybe this could be incorporated in the updated maximite core?
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 12 January 2018 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

MicroBlocks wrote:
Grogster wrote:

We need to send him a MicroMite+ or MicroMite Extreme unit to play with. Great as the CMM is, it is several years old now, and the MMBASIC for the MM+ series(and even the MM2) is far more advanced then the CMM MMBASIC.

I still think the Maximite Color is a beter alternative for 80's style desktop computer, hence a good candiate to use instead of an old 8-bit system.
VGA, Keyboard is easy to use and for games you have SPRITES!
It could profit from some of the statements/functions that were added to the uMite but not to the Maximite.

The uMite is much better for embedded projects. Especially because of the LCD support.

The 8-bit guy is probably not so interested in embedded systems (32 bit:) )

You make a good point there. I suppose the CMM is a one-stop-shop for people wanting to tinker with things. Had not thought about it QUITE like that before you pointed it out, so I stand corrected.

Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

This guy must be popular. Visitors to my website jumped from 300 to 400 per day to 2,000 per day. It is trailing off now but that is a lot of people.

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

i wonder if rob (CircuitGizmos) has seen any rush on maximite orders as a result?

who still supplies maximites (or variations thereof) these days? could it be time for one of us to redesign the PCB to fit in a cheap 100x100mm PCB format?

geoff: it is a shame the mx695 has such low flash endurance. how about a "CMM mk2" using an MZ processor?

cheers,
rob :-)
Back to Top View robert.rozee's Profile Search for other posts by robert.rozee

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote matherp

Quote:
How about a "CMM mk2" using an MZ processor?

What does the CMM do which is important to people that I don't cover in the Micromite eXtreme if it was "repackaged" as a SBC?

Edited by matherp on 13 January 2018 at 9:55pm
Back to Top View matherp's Profile Search for other posts by matherp

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

matherp wrote:
What does the CMM do which is important to people that I don't cover in the Micromite eXtreme if it was "repackaged" as a SBC?

i've not really followed the MZ branch of micromite basic too closely, so i couldn't say. it could well be that with the appropriate options either preset or hard-coded it is equivalent in every important regard.

do the MZ micromtes support graphic sprites? what VGA resolutions are available? as i recall, i did see mention of PS/2 keyboard support, going forward USB keyboard support may be starting to become important for an SBC.

btw, i'm still also swaying between the (relatively high) cost of the MZ processor versus the cheapness of a RPi zero. not to mention the RPi supporting HDMI.

cheers,

panky
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote panky

Peter,

Seems to me that the 100 pin mz would make a perfect cmm3 - I for one don't need the rs485 or can but others may. The actual chip price is not that different so cost should not be an issue (other than the crystal which is a bit pricey).

I would very definitely love to get my hands on an mz "CMM3" - one of your existing 100 pin boards would be perfect I think with minimal,if any, changes.

My 100 pin mz Navigation board should arrive in few days so I am looking forward to trying to port some of the maximite programs to it.

Thanks for all your contributions,
Doug.

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote matherp

Quote:
do the MZ micromtes support graphic sprites?

It supports BLIT. Geoff has never been happy with the sprites implementation in the CMM so I didn't implement that but blit is very powerful

Quote:
what VGA resolutions are available?

640 x 480 x 8-colour (and 640 x 400) with no material impact on available memory (still 320K left!)

Quote:
i did see mention of PS/2 keyboard support

Yes and PS2 Mouse

Quote:
going forward USB keyboard support may be starting to become important for an SBC

Agreed but the CMM doesn't have that either

Quote:
btw, i'm still also swaying between the (relatively high) cost of the MZ processor versus the cheapness of a RPi zero. not to mention the RPi supporting HDMI.

The big disadvantage of the Pi is boot times and the fact you can crash it. It simply isn't as robust as a dedicated single chip solution without OS and never will be.

robert.rozee
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote robert.rozee

Quote:
640 x 480 x 8-colour (and 640 x 400) with no material impact on available memory (still 320K left!)

is 640 x 400 intended for use with 16:9 monitors? could the number of horizontal lines be set to other values if needsbe to achieve square pixels? again, i'm thinking that going forward 4:3 monitors may start becoming rarer.

Quote:
The big disadvantage of the Pi is boot times and the fact you can crash it. It simply isn't as robust as a dedicated single chip solution without OS and never will be.

true, the RPi boot time is an issue. i guess that could only be addressed with an extreme pruning/customizing of the linux distro, but even then crashability issues may remain. it is the veritable rabbit hole.

if the MZ's usb port were sacrificed to being a permanent USB host, with the only requirement of USB keyboard support, how difficult would creating the necessary code be? with a 1455 on the board, the MZ really doesn't need to have the ability to connect to a PC itself.

cheers,

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote matherp

Quote:
ould the number of horizontal lines be set to other values if needsbe to achieve square pixels?

Not really, the issue isn't the MZ code but the monitor won't recognise different line numbers as a valid VESA signal and won't lock on. Even 640x400 isn't very well supported. Pixels on 640x400 are 11x10 so not too rectangular.

Quote:
if the MZ's usb port were sacrificed to being a permanent USB host, with the only requirement of USB keyboard support, how difficult would creating the necessary code be?

Should be relatively easy (by USB standards )

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version