Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
twofingers
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 January 2018 at 1:09am | IP Logged Quote twofingers

matherp wrote:
Quote:
do the MZ micromtes support graphic sprites?

It supports BLIT. Geoff has never been happy with the sprites implementation in the CMM so I didn't implement that but blit is very powerful

That's pretty true! But I missed the ability to create and handle windows (non MS! ) on Maximites in a simple way (ie store and load a range of the screen).
... just a thought ...

Michael

Back to Top View twofingers's Profile Search for other posts by twofingers

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 1:14am | IP Logged Quote matherp

Quote:
(ie store and load a range of the screen).

You can do this with BLIT READ and BLIT WRITE on both the MM+ and MMX within the limits of available memory
Back to Top View matherp's Profile Search for other posts by matherp

twofingers
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote twofingers

matherp wrote:
Quote:
(ie store and load a range of the screen).

You can do this with BLIT READ and BLIT WRITE on both the MM+ and MMX within the limits of available memory

Thanks Peter, I didn't know that! Maybe a feature that can also be transferred to the Maximites. Some day ...
Back to Top View twofingers's Profile Search for other posts by twofingers

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

Re. Pi Boot times: Puppy Linux for the Raspberry Pi is about 8 seconds from power-on to the desktop on an 'Old' Pi2 B(quad-core 1GB) once installed and setup. That's not bad. Have not tried it on a Pi3, but would probably be slightly faster on one of those. Puppy Linux for the Pi won't run on the Pi-zero at the moment, but a zero would be a good board for Puppy to use. My tests were when I was using a Pi2 and Puppy Linux to setup that WAN MM console experiment a month or so ago using SER2NET application from the command prompt to allow WAN connections to the Pi2 serial port.

mallorn

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote mallorn

I'm one of 8-bit guy "older" YT subsribers.
After I watched his video I started to google around... and finally I found this place.
I'm interested in getting MM eXtreme 144 (I wrote an e-mail to WhiteWizzard asking for PCB or assembled set already ...)
Guess it is time for me to use Rpi until I will be able to lay hands on my own MMX.
Or I can get one somewhere else?
Back to Top View mallorn's Profile Search for other posts by mallorn

WhiteWizzard
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote WhiteWizzard

As some of you are aware, I have had some serious personal matters to sort out here so have been very quiet on TBS (and email) over the last few weeks. Anyway, things are finally getting sorted and I am getting around to the last few outstanding orders - despatching most this week.

@mallorn
I have responded to your emails this morning and can sort out a MMX144 for you. Check your emails and we can 'chat'

IMHO; the MMX144 is an excellent basis for a 'new and updated' MaxiMite. I was heavily involved with 'suggestions' for Geoff and Peter over Christmas 2016 and about the only two things I thought missing have already been identified here in this thread.

1> Sprites. Fully aware of BLIT, but some SPRITE functionality similar to the MaxiMite would be a massive bonus. Fortunately this is a software thing so could appear in a future MMBASIC release

2> USB keyboard. Even though PS2 keyboards are available, there are many more USB choices out there. New PS2 keyboards of a decent quality are becoming harder to find as time goes on.

Having built and used most of the MMX range of Peter's designs, I can say that the MMX144 is the 'closest technical fit' to a MaxiMite. My only comments would be to 'shrink it down' in size as the MMX144 is rather large!

A small 'box', plug in a VGA, a USB keyboard, a PSU, and slot in an SD card. Allow the usual 40pin TFT header; and a GPIO header(s) and you have a self contained product able to fulfil many scenarios (embedded or standalone).

I understand that people with an existing MaxiMite may appreciate a Firmware update to incorporate the excellent MicroMite features; but this must surely be a massive exercise for Geoff for little gain My suggestion is simply to use the excellent MicroMite firmware and add Sprites and USB keyboard support.

Some people will argue that SPRITEs are not needed for an embedded controller and I would fully agree. However, there is a ton of space in the MZ, so why not incorporate 'everything' and just have one Firmware to maintain?? Then use it as a controller (with the TFT option?), or use it as a Games machine, or as a 'Coding console'. . . .

WW

Direct Email: WhiteWizzard@MicroMite.org
Back to Top View WhiteWizzard's Profile Search for other posts by WhiteWizzard Visit WhiteWizzard's Homepage

amitor

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote amitor

Hello everyone, I'm another 8-Bit Guy subscriber that has been impressed with his video, and now I should be getting the MMX144 soon, thank you WW!

Coming to it as a retro computer enthusiast, this will at least initially be a device for game programming through VGA. In that context, the one missing feature that has been mentioned is the SPRITE command.

The other item I want to understand is the VGA modes on the CMM vs MMX - specifically the "high-speed" mode. Since MMX is substantially faster (and VGA is natively supported?), is it safe to assume that the 640x480 is similar/faster speed-wise?
Back to Top View amitor's Profile Search for other posts by amitor

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote matherp

Quote:
is it safe to assume that the 640x480 is similar/faster speed-wise?

The MMX only has two VGA modes 640x480 and 640x400 they should be fast enough.

See this for drawing speed

WhiteWizzard
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote WhiteWizzard

The MMX144 is FAST; and certainly has been able to handle everything I have thrown at it.

I am confident that a SPRITE like feature will appear sometime in the future; and for now there is the BLIT command. I spoke with Peter today and he gave me an idea as to how to use BLIT to 'simulate' sprite activity. There is one 'tweak' that Peter suggested could be made to allow BLIT to act as 'transparent' - so watch this space as I believe more and more people will be requesting this capability.

Unfortunately it is nothing I can implement; Peter is the Graphics guru - so we must try bribe him somehow

Back to Top View WhiteWizzard's Profile Search for other posts by WhiteWizzard Visit WhiteWizzard's Homepage

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote matherp

Quote:
There is one 'tweak' that Peter suggested could be made to allow BLIT to act as 'transparent'

You mean like this

WhiteWizzard
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote WhiteWizzard

Now you're just showing off!

But yes, I do mean like that

Is that also with 'collision detection' I see there? OR is the jumping (when the two 'collide' into each other) an actual (dare I say it) bug/feature?

'Layers' next (pretty please) . . . . .

Edited by WhiteWizzard on 17 January 2018 at 7:18am

Boppa
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Online
Posted: 17 January 2018 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Boppa

I dont know if they would work, but many years ago all keyboards used to come with a ps2/usb adapter or usb/ps2 adapter depending on keyboards- these appeared to be a 'dumb' adapter with no internal electronics
eg
usb ps2

ps2 usb

could these be used to adapt keyboards (in particular the top one would in theory allow any usb keyboard to be used)

Edited by Boppa on 17 January 2018 at 9:54am
Back to Top View Boppa's Profile Search for other posts by Boppa

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version