<< Prev Page of 3
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 July 2018 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

Good grief! I don't know where to start. There are so many misunderstandings in your code that I can only give some general pointers.

The first thing that you should do is use the code button to insert your code in your posts. That will retain any indenting which is essential to understanding someone else's code.

This is just a few comments that are obvious:

text 100, 10, str$(nbr_hi) ' this prints 2 ??????????
Of course it will print 2... this is what you set nbr_hi to.

text 130, 10,CtrlVal(nbr_hi) 'Error: Expected a string
CtrlVal(nbr_hi) refers to a NUMBERBOX which returns a float number. TEXT expects a string. That is why you got an error.

text 130, 10,CtrlVal(str$(nbr_hi)) 'Error: Expected a number
What are you trying to do here? CtrlVal() expects a number as an argument and you are giving it a string!

if str$(Temp) > CtrlVal(nbr_hi) then 'Error: Incompatible types in expression
You are trying to compare a string with a number.

You may not realise that CtrlVal() can return a string or a number depending on the control you are querying. For example using CtrlVal() on a TEXTBOX will return a string (because it holds a string) and on a NUMBERBOX it will return a number (because that is what a number box will hold).

My advice is:

- Read the sections dealing with data types and GUI controls in Getting Started with the Micromite and both manuals (Micromite User Manual and Micromite Plus Manual) in detail - I know, that is a lot of reading but you seem to be stabbing in the dark without knowing what is in the manuals.

- Break your program down into small bits and test and understand each bit before trying the next. For example, just have a NUMBERBOX (nothing else) and experiment with getting its value and doing things with its value. Then try a TEXTBOX, LED, etc. When you know how each works you can put them together and they should do their job without any surprises. Trying for a quick route to the final solution inevitably leads to catastrophe.

Geoff

Back to Top View Geoffg's Profile Search for other posts by Geoffg Visit Geoffg's Homepage

macca

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote macca

sorry for this I will read and not bother the forum again.
some people have the gift and some don't.
regards to you and the rest.
Back to Top View macca's Profile Search for other posts by macca

matherp
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:36am | IP Logged Quote matherp

Quote:
I will read and not bother the forum again

Please don't get put off from posting if you need help. However, as Geoff says you are really getting into the most complex area of the Micromite and need a bit more background.

The key thing to understand is there are three datatypes supported by MMBasic

Strings
Integers
Floating Point numbers

You can combine integers and floats in various expressions but it critical you understand what you are trying to achieve in doing so

Strings and numbers can't be combined but can be converted

VAL converts a string to a number
STR$ converts a number to a string

For best programming practice always start your code with

OPTION EXPLICIT
OPTION DEFAULT NONE

This will force you to declare and type all your variables and makes errors much less likely (albeit at the expense of a bit more effort up front).

The CTRLVAL function is a special case and can return either a string or a number depending on the GUI control with which it is associated. There is no way round this one for any of us except checking the manual.

Edited by matherp on 14 July 2018 at 4:38am
Back to Top View matherp's Profile Search for other posts by matherp

Grogster
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Grogster

macca wrote:

Please don't mis-read Geoff's post above. He is just trying a bit of 'tough-love' on you, to try to get you to go to the manuals, as that is what they were written for, and pretty much 99% of all your issues can be solved by reading the manuals.

You are NOT bothering the forums.
As you say, some people can pick this stuff up in one pass, but others have more of an issue understanding the logic of how commands work. That is not anything to be ashamed of.

Keep on tinkering, and posting your codes that DON'T work. Use the CODE HTML tags as Geoff suggested. Click the 'code' button just above this text-entry box, just below the 'Size' drop-down menu thing-y, and paste your code in between the two markers that the forum software will plop there for you.

I had similar problems when I started using the GUI controls, so you are not the only one to have issues. Most of us have crashed and burned in the beginning as we teach ourselves how to use the GUI controls.

I know EXACTLY the feeling you are having with your CtrlVal issues. As Geoff and matherp point out, CtrlVal's are a unique beast in MMBASIC, and can be different types, and you simply CAN'T make the assumption that a certain control will be a string or a number. You have to be sure of that FIRST, and then make conversions from one to the other with VAL and STR$ as matherp points out.

Don't despair - we are here to help you, so you keep on doing what you're doing.

Geoffg
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Geoffg

Sorry for coming across as critical macca. What I was trying to say is that it was not possible to simply correct your code. The solution to getting your program running was for you to understand data types and the manuals are a good place for that.

Understanding a concept in programming can often be like turning on a light - all of a sudden it is much easier to see and understand. So don't give up.
Back to Top View Geoffg's Profile Search for other posts by Geoffg Visit Geoffg's Homepage

Quazee137

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Quazee137

@macca

Please keep learning and then posting here. This has been the best forum

on coding and hardware I have been lucky to have found.

All the members here share and help. As for helping sometimes pointing us

to READ THEN MANUAL is far more helpful than giving a fix we may not

understand. Then when we have better knowledge of MMBasic they give even

more by being the best sounding board for ideas/code/hardware you could want!

My Thanks to all here at TBS

Quazee
Back to Top View Quazee137's Profile Search for other posts by Quazee137

bigmik
Guru
Guru

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote bigmik

Hi Macca,

Donít despair we are not all good at programming..

God knows I am next to useless. Although I get by generally.

What I do is try small sections of code to see what various commands return..

The best ocean swimmers started by paddling in kiddie pools... you really canít expect a lengthy piece of code to work straight off ..

Even Geoff and Peter, who are amongst the best, if not the best, at coding are still fixing bugs in code they thought were fine when released..

One problem I personally have is misunderstanding what a command means and every time I proof read my code I assume that a command does what I want (not what I told it to)

Try putting print lines before and after a suspect line to print the relevant variables before the code and again after.. add pauses if needed.. this way you can determine if the section of code returns what you thought it would.

Keep on trying you will get there one day.. it is part of the fun and satisfaction at getting a working project.

Regards,

Mick
Back to Top View bigmik's Profile Search for other posts by bigmik

macca

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote macca

Hi and thankyou to Geoff, Grogster, matherp for your encouraging information and thoughts, I will be printing the manuals out as I find trying to read the manuals of the same computer then switching to MMEdit a bit confusing, and yes you are right in what I should be doing "eg. reading the manuals more". I have not giving up just taking a breather and gathering my thoughts.
And yes you guy's are the best.

Best Regards
I'll get there John
Back to Top View macca's Profile Search for other posts by macca

CaptainBoing
Guru
Guru

Posted: 17 July 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote CaptainBoing

macca wrote:

Don't be like that forums are designed to be bothered! You should NEVER feel you are "pestering" in a forum if you are genuinely seeking advancement. Anyone who doesn't want to follow a particular thread knows where the close button is.

Just about the only skills any of us were born with was screaming and swimming(ish). Keep on posting - God knows I went through some curves during my time here on this rock and it is only by "bothering" others of a like mind (it was computer clubs back then... which deteriorated into copy-fests and punch-ups over Amiga Vs Atari sadly) that I got as far as I have. Trust me, it will suddenly "click" into place.

Edited by CaptainBoing on 17 July 2018 at 4:50pm
Back to Top View CaptainBoing's Profile Search for other posts by CaptainBoing

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Search the forums using Google.
<< Prev Page of 3
In the news...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version