Subject Topic: Arduino Environment for PIC32 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Page of 2 Next >>
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 April 2019 at 6:18am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote CircuitGizmos

I've had someone request to use the Arduino IDE with the CGMICROKIT. This would forgo the MMBASIC that is loaded on the chip and load it with the code developed in the Arduino IDE.

I've found that there is support for the '120, the '250, and the '270 in a board support package called chipKIT. I've tried using the IDE to make a hex file and PICKIT3 to load that hex file. I thought that one of these would work at least with some simple blinky test code. But nope.

So I tried a copy/edit of one of the boards to make a '170 flavor, but still no blinky.

Still going down a rabbit hole trying to see what I missed, but I thought I would ask here if anyone has done this.

Back to Top View CircuitGizmos's Profile Search for other posts by CircuitGizmos Visit CircuitGizmos's Homepage

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 6:48am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote JohnS

Probably a daft question but I suspect a chipKit-specific/Arduino-specific bootloader is needed (and is probably CPU-specific).

Is one, and did you install it?

John
Back to Top View JohnS's Profile Search for other posts by JohnS

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 6:58am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote CircuitGizmos

JohnS wrote:
Probably a daft question but I suspect a chipKit-specific/Arduino-specific bootloader is needed (and is probably CPU-specific).

Is one, and did you install it?

John

There are some ugly files that I modified that end in ".ld" that have bootloader and non-bootloader options. I modified the nobootloader file.

For example:
chipKIT-application-32MX250F128.ld
chipKIT-application-32MX250F128-nobootloader.ld

No need for bootloader if I'm using the PICKIT 3 to program. I amuse.

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:09am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote CircuitGizmos

I don't want the bootloader because the console pins won't be right.

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:30am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote JohnS

You're right that you don't need a bootloader with the PICkit3 but I suspect the Arduino IDE expects the right bootloader.

Unless it can talk direct to a PICkit3, but I think not and anyway typical Arduino users would not have or want a PICkit.

John

vegipete

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:30am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote vegipete

Does anything at fubarino.org help?
Back to Top View vegipete's Profile Search for other posts by vegipete

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:34am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote CircuitGizmos

JohnS wrote:
You're right that you don't need a bootloader with the PICkit3 but I suspect the Arduino IDE expects the right bootloader.

Unless it can talk direct to a PICkit3, but I think not and anyway typical Arduino users would not have or want a PICkit.

John

The Arduino IDE has an option to build a hex file that I can read using the PICKIT3 software. I'm not sure what programmer would integrate with the Arduino IDE.

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:37am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote CircuitGizmos

vegipete wrote:
Does anything at fubarino.org help?

Fubarino is a subset of the chipKIT stuff. I didn't find anything at the site.

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 7:41am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote JohnS

Well... if the user will have a PICkit3 then all should be OK - though rather painful.

So... why did you need to change any .ld file? None already that targetted your board or what?

(Yes they're horrible.)

John

JohnS
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 8:08am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote JohnS

You can probably look at a few hex files that work (ones not from your new Arduino system) and compare with one that's from the Arduino system to figure what's wrong.

As you'll know, you'll need the DEVCFGn bytes with sane values.

John

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:33am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote CircuitGizmos

JohnS wrote:
Well... if the user will have a PICkit3 then all should be OK - though rather painful.

True that, but perhaps improvement later.

JohnS wrote:
So... why did you need to change any .ld file? None already that targetted your board or what?

Correct.

CircuitGizmos
Guru
Guru

Posted: 27 April 2019 at 9:34am | IP Logged Copy link to clipboard   Quote CircuitGizmos

JohnS wrote:
You can probably look at a few hex files that work (ones not from your new Arduino system) and compare with one that's from the Arduino system to figure what's wrong.

As you'll know, you'll need the DEVCFGn bytes with sane values.

John

I'm sure I'm zigging when I should be zagging.

Page of 2 Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version