The blades performed very well,
achieving a high RPM for low wind conditions. Startup was
quick as the DC motors have no cogging.
But output voltage was way down
on what I had hoped for. In a 20kmh breeze, open circuit voltage
was only 5 volts, even though the windmill was going like
a bat out of hell. Surprising was the output current. When
I shorted the windmill I had an easy 10 amps, and the windmill
only slowed down slightly with this load.
So the windmill is a bit of a
failure, at this time. But I do plan to try a boost converter
that will increase the output voltage to over 13 volts for
charging. Oatley Electronics sell a boost converter/charger
kit for $14. The info on the controller IC, a MC34063, says
it will run on as low as 3 volts. Output current is 2 amps
max, but there are details on increasing this limit.
Well I've given up on the oatley
motor as a wind generator. I did try a boost converter, but
the results were pretty average. But these motors are great
little motors neverless for their price. At 300 watts each
a couple of these would be great on a little go cart.
This motor was the same model I used on
my standby pressure pump.