Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:34 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Good places to get PCB’s made....

Page 4 of 4    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:34pm 23 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We've deviated a little from the topic of where to get PCB's made, to how we here at the forums make them at home!

It's all good though.

On the iron, I bought a 2nd hand one from a 2nd hand shop at the time, for about $10, I think it was, so that there was never any danger of ruining the good clothes iron.

I have heard of the laminator method - I will have to check that one out again.
Don't you have to put the board through the laminator about 60 times?
...I am sure I read that somewhere...

EDIT: I see by reading the articles, that they hack the laminator to run much hotter, so that you can do the transfer in one pass with thin boards, or two passes with thicker boards.

EDIT: I note that on those links to the laminator method, they too mention that Brother laser printers are not any good for the toner-transfer method, as the toner is not "Refusable". The pile of evidence against Brother laser printers is growing with respect to the toner-transfer idea....Edited by Grogster 2013-08-24
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 01:41pm 23 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Brother laser printers are perfectly ok for the Kinsten (UV) method of PCB manufacture (my preference). It doesn't "wick" and will do tracks and track spacing to 0.5mm no problems and can certainly do PIC32 TQFP pads.
David M.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:06pm 23 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yea, I use my Brother printer for UV type board production too, and as you say - it works just fine for that method.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Gordz

Posted: 07:07pm 24 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a tin of PCB spray laquer which I use a lot. I choose good PCB from Jaycar which has no scratches or oxide finger prints then shine it on a buffer wheel. After that I clean it with IPA and spray it lightly with the laquer. When I need to make a PCB I just cut a piece off with tin snips sand the edges and clean it off with thinners to make it ready for thr transfer process. I also clean off the PCB with thinners after assembly and coat it as a final step.

VK2MCT

Posted: 03:36am 26 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would a 3D printer work for masking the copper of a PCB?

John B
VK2MCT

Gordz

Posted: 12:15pm 26 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PCB masking material is able to take pretty high temperatures (solder mask) but if you are careful you can get pretty good results. You will find that the color around the solder pads will change when you solder the parts in. I had some success with an old HP plotter and some marker pens for doing 'solder mask' and component numbering. Not good enough for flow soldering but it looked pretty good for handing a prototype over to a customer

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024