Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:58 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MicroMite Beta 15

Page 1 of 4    
Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:32pm 16 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have just sent MicroMite Beta 15 out but the manual accidentally says Beta 16 (it got a bit ahead of itself). Please ignore this, it is Beta 15.

I am reasonably sure that this version has nailed the ultrasonic distance measurement problems (famous last words, I can feel the lightning bolt about to strike me).

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2014-03-18
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

OA47

Guru

Posted: 04:52pm 16 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff, I may have missed a post that covers this but I have noticed that your circuit for utilising the DS18B20 changed from the earlier beta issues to the later. Is the circuit with the ground on either side of the chip correct or should one go to supply?
GM

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:53pm 16 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My ultrasonic sensor is still working well, both as a 3 and 4 terminal device.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 16 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Graeme Meager said   Geoff, I may have missed a post that covers this but I have noticed that your circuit for utilising the DS18B20 changed from the earlier beta issues to the later. Is the circuit with the ground on either side of the chip correct or should one go to supply?

No, nothing has changed. The diagram has the chip running on “parasitic" power. Download the datasheet and it will tell you about it. You can also run the chip in "normal" mode where Vdd is wired to 3.3V.

TassyJim said   My ultrasonic sensor is still working well, both as a 3 and 4 terminal device.

Ah, great. Thanks Jim.

Geoff

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 12:23am 17 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff, I haven't addressed you for a long time, but hope you might consider this one. Add a function which returns the memory address of a variable. A pointer ability if you consider it that way. Thus by using that plus the PEEK/POKE pair, the matter of organising buffers finds its easy solution,

Kon

http://rittle.org

--------------

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:04am 17 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah yes, the address = VARPTR(variable).
I would vote for that one.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:15am 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

just spotted a few more things in the manual that may need attention. firstly, on page 24 it says:
  Quote  Pins marked as 5V have a couple of additional properties that make it easy to connect to 5V circuitry. Firstly, as inputs they can be directly connected to a circuit that generates up to 5V without the need for voltage dropping resistors. When configured as outputs these pins can also be setup to have an open collector output.

this suggests that only the 5v tolerant pins can be set up as open collector. but elsewhere in the manual (pg 44: "OOUT... Open collector digital output... (all pins)"), it is indicated that any pin can be configured thus.

i also see that on pages 23, 27, and 64, code examples are given with a numeric cfg argument to the SETPIN command, rather than using the associated keyword. for consistency i'd suggest switching entirely to using the keyword, although the SSETPIN example code still needs to use the numeric version i presume.

and lastly, on page 64. there is example code containing the line:
PIN(10) = 1 : SETPIN 10, 8 ‘ pin 10 will be used as the enable signal

presumably the SETPIN command needs to go first!

rob :-)Edited by robert.rozee 2014-03-19

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 05:42am 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Rob, good spotting.

The PIN command before the SETPIN is legal and is done so that when the pin switches from high impedance to an output the output will be immediately high. If this was not done it would be low.

Geoff

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 05:45am 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kiiid said  Add a function which returns the memory address of a variable. A pointer ability if you consider it that way. Thus by using that plus the PEEK/POKE pair, the matter of organising buffers finds its easy solution

Good idea and should be very simple to do.

Thanks,
Geoff

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 02:06pm 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,

Page 6: 28pin PIC pinout diagram. Can I recommend a change to your labels for Pin 11 and Pin 12.

Pin 11 to become 'Console Rx / PIC Tx' (not: 'Console Tx (Data Out)')
Pin 12 to become 'Console Tx / PIC Rx' (not: 'Console Rx(Data In)')

Likewise Page 7 for the 44-pin diagram (Pin 33 & Pin 34)

As it currently stands these are a little confusing and errors could be made in connecting a FTDI module.

Just an observation . . . .

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:46pm 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The same pin to carry both Tx & Rx labels?

Now that'd be confusing!

John

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 10:20pm 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said   The same pin to carry both Tx & Rx labels?

Now that'd be confusing!

John

Not at all - only having one, for example 'Rx' is too ambiguous because it could mean you connect it TO EITHER Rx of the connecting device (much like you would connect +v to +v) OR connect it to Tx (because Rx In needs to connect to Tx out).

So defining 'Console Rx / PIC Tx' is clear and concise IMHO . . .

This topic would be good for debate though

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:22am 19 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said  This topic would be good for debate though

Yes, it certainly would.

The problem with serial is that some people look at it from the point of view of either device and get confused. This is why I used the specific term "CONSOLE Tx (DATA OUT)" to make the point clear. "CONSOLE" is the console I/O pin on the Micromite (not the attached device), "Tx" means transmit and just in case there was still any confusion I added "(DATA OUT)".

I believe that this is is about as clear as it can get.

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2014-03-20

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:20am 19 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree with Geoff here.

And he's so right - depending on which end of the link you are looking at, TXD and RXD can mean the opisote of what you think it is! I have been working with serial for about 10 years now, and even I still get confused with TXD and RXD with respect to - which end of the flippin' link was that now? (rhetorical!)

I do like the SparkFun way of labeling things: TXO(out) and RXI(in) - no way you can confuse that, and I have actually adopted that labelling on my own devices using serial, as just like RXD and TXD, it is only three letters, but by replacing the D with an O or I, the direction of things is easily seen. Edited by Grogster 2014-03-20
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:25pm 19 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gents,

debate continues . . .

The fact that it has to be explained that 'CONSOLE' in the label 'CONSOLE Tx' is the console I/O pin on the MicroMite (not the attached device) is my whole point - it is ambiguous and can be taken in two totally opposite ways leading to some people wondering why their MicroMite doesn't communicate with their computer (this is how this debate started while I was trying to help Bryan1 in his post yesterday).

If I see a pin labeled something like 'Console Tx (…)' I would immediately assume (rightly or wrongly) that it needs to be connected to the external Console's Tx pin (much like a pin labeled +3v3 would go to a +3v3 power source). I am probably not the only person on this planet that may mis-inteperate this and hence by definition ambiguity exists.

I too like Sparkfun's approach of how they label these type of pins ; therefore a new suggestion I have for debate would be:

Pin 11 'TXO (to console)'
Pin 12 'RXI (from console)'

This then fits nicely with the diagram on Page 8 of the manual showing connection to an actual Console.

I too have experienced years of incorrectly labelled pins when it comes to Tx/Rx connections. These errors can often be found in manufacturers data-sheets and in magazine publications, both of which you would expect to be 100% correct - but they are not.

IMHO removing any ambiguity saves so much confusion.

Please let me know if I need to be quiet! Good healthy debate never hurt anyone though . . . .

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 12:34pm 19 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,

can i buy some of the nRF24LU1+ RF Modules that you will include in MMite;-)?

Edited by atmega8 2014-03-20

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:48pm 19 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I too vote for healthy debate!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 01:58pm 19 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Evening Grogster; or rather 'morning' there I guess (but lets not debate that!)

So hows it going? Are you still testing Beta15 on your 44-pin Module? I hope you are happy with its performance so far.

One thing I haven't had time to test yet is different MPU clock speeds - have you done any testing on this yet?

Let me know any other areas you haven't really tested yet so that I can focus on these rather than duplicating what you have currently been able to do.

Thanks . . .

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 02:52pm 19 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are two "standards" or naming the serial port lines.

One is each device names its own lines according to their function: RX (or originally RxD, in rare occasions RD) is an input for reception, and TX (or TxD or TD) is an output for transmission. Obviously in this case they have to be cross wired with TX going to RX and vice versa.

The other way is naming the lines is according to the function always from DTE's point of view. So if the device is DCE, its RX line is actually an output and its TX line is an input.

Personally I like the first way more and historically it is the popular one and in fact the second one is more confusing since you'd need to know the function of the device itself.
Edited by kiiid 2014-03-21
http://rittle.org

--------------

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 04:13pm 19 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

atmega8 said   Hi Geoff,

can i buy some of the nRF24LU1+ RF Modules that you will include in MMite;-)?

I am sorry to say that the nRF24LU1+ will miss the first "production" version. I have just run out of time. I still plan to include it but it will have to wait for the next version release.

Geoff

Page 1 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024