Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:30 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Introducing the Colour Maximite 2

Page 11 of 25    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:01pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Still no progress getting the SD card to work. Tried adding electrical tape to "top front" of the SD card. Tried "conservative" setting. Tried other SD cards.

Please try as follows:

Remove the battery. Put a link on the VBAT header on the Waveshare. This will provide power on that pin without a battery.

OPTION RESET

Then press the RESET button on the Waveshare to restart

Then try SDcard again.

If that doesn't work then you will need to contact CG. I know he will have tested before shipping but it is possible there is a dry joint or similar that needs sorting

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 01:19pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,

I looked at the schematics and noticed the audio output (jack) is directly wired to the H7. If I plug a headset in I load the H7 pins with 32 ohms. Depending the output voltage there can be 100mA DC current running in each pin (audio L and audio R).

Should there be a capacitor to decouple the DC in between the H7 and the jack for both L and R audio ? And maybe a low pass filter ?

Regards,

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:23pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  If I plug a headset in I load the H7 pins with 32 ohms. Depending the output voltage there can be 100mA DC current running in each pin (audio L and audio R).

From the manual page 9. We can add "headphones" to the warning

Quote  This is a 3.5mm stereo phono socket.  The tip is the right channel, the ring is the left channel while the sleeve is ground.  The signal level at full volume is about 1.9V RMS (approx 3V peak to peak).  The output is high impedance suitable for feeding into an amplifier.  It cannot directly drive a loudspeaker and might be damaged if that was attempted

cdeagle

Posted: 01:29pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the idea Peter.

When I remove the battery and jumper Vbat, MMBASIC does not boot up.

I checked the solder points on the SD card holder. They look okay at least visually.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 01:30pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  
JLC claims to deliver their EuroPacket within 5-7 business days ... and actually I cannot believe that for those few bucks they charge.

I had a call with a business colleague the other day and this came up, apparently international postage (out of China) is heavily subsidised by the Chinese govt and they can post anywhere worldwide for around $0.75 for a small packet (think this means a jiffy or one of those grey plastic bags) if the value of the contents is under a certain amount - check the customs declaration on the back next time you get one... laughable. This is helped by the inbound postage system rarely getting any part of that (UK Royal Mail get a donut).

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:35pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Thanks for the idea Peter.

I checked the solder points on the SD card holder. They look okay at least visually.

That isn't right. Just checked and it boots up fine for me without a battery and VBAT linked to 3.3. Given that your CR1220 was at such low voltage it sounds like a short or something on your board - contacting CG is definitely your next step.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 02:15pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cdeagle said  Thanks for the idea Peter.

Not sure what is going on here. Each board is connected via all of the external interfaces to test for board functionality. The quick "final test" code is even run from an SD card on the board, so the SD worked at one point.

It isn't unheard of to have something happen after shipping, but the problems that happen then are usually physical and handling issues.

I'll certainly swap your unit for another.

Have you tried reseating the Waveshare module?

Edit: Just checked stock batteries. They are new and at the proper voltage. The on-board battery should have a very minimum power draw.
Edited 2020-05-13 00:17 by CircuitGizmos
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 03:12pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
  Poppy said  
JLC claims to deliver their EuroPacket within 5-7 business days ... and actually I cannot believe that for those few bucks they charge.

I had a call with a business colleague the other day and this came up, apparently international postage (out of China) is heavily subsidised by the Chinese govt and they can post anywhere worldwide for around $0.75 for a small packet (think this means a jiffy or one of those grey plastic bags) if the value of the contents is under a certain amount - check the customs declaration on the back next time you get one... laughable. This is helped by the inbound postage system rarely getting any part of that (UK Royal Mail get a donut).

Yes, I know getting several of those bags over the year via Ebay orders.

But they take up to 4 weeks and sometimes even more time, sometimes they arrive within 7 or 14 days, but that is quite unusual.

I am just wondering if the pcb´s really take 5-7 business days to arrive here.

But let´s not extend this issue for the sake of On-Topic    , I am looking forward to find out, practically it does not matter here that much as I still have to get some parts via ebay from China (those damned 2mm pitched header sockets, I could not find any other near vendor for those as well) and this will take about 4 weeks or more or if they fail a second run ... or third ... or more ....  

I will order some autonomously in parallel to make sure a successful first run saving shots and therefore time.

Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 03:25pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a little meta-question to Geoff and Peter:

Please estimate your constructing efforts for the CMM2 in working-hours until now, for both of you. (Of course your great support within this forum is a credit to you as well!)

I´d really like to know and think it´s really worth being told to all of us, for myself still being very impressed by all this ... without any bootlicking!  

Andre ... such a GURU?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:34pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Please estimate your constructing efforts for the CMM2 in working-hours until now

My best estimate would be just over a 1000 hours for the firmware and multiple iterations of the H/W designs

cdeagle

Posted: 04:58pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I haven't powered up the CMM2 for several hours. Now it boots with the battery absent and the Vbat jumper on. Strange

cdeagle

Posted: 05:14pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pulled a CR2012 battery from an STM32F4XX board. Put it in the CCM2 and now it retains calendar date, time and keyboard type.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cdeagle said  Pulled a CR2012 battery from an STM32F4XX board. Put it in the CCM2 and now it retains calendar date, time and keyboard type.

Did you sort out the keyboard problems?

I had issues with a HP keyboard and had to bin it. My Microsoft and Logitech keyboards are both OK.

The occasional repeating key should be fixed in the latest beta firmware.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:33pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  Just a little meta-question to Geoff and Peter:

Please estimate your constructing efforts for the CMM2 in working-hours until now, for both of you. (Of course your great support within this forum is a credit to you as well!)

I´d really like to know and think it´s really worth being told to all of us, for myself still being very impressed by all this ... without any bootlicking!  

I am sure that if I asked my wife how long I have spent testing she would reply "Too b....dy long"

My domestic duties have suffered badly over the last 6 months.

But is has been fun...

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:39pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  Geoff,

I looked at the schematics and noticed the audio output (jack) is directly wired to the H7. If I plug a headset in I load the H7 pins with 32 ohms. Depending the output voltage there can be 100mA DC current running in each pin (audio L and audio R).

Should there be a capacitor to decouple the DC in between the H7 and the jack for both L and R audio ? And maybe a low pass filter ?

Regards,

Volhout

If there was a capacitor in series with the output, it would prevent it from being used as an analog output. While its main use will be for audio, the ability to have a steady DC output under software control is good to have. It saves having to play with PWM and filters.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:48pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cdeagle said  
STM programmer does not recognize serial port on CCM2. Updated the firmware by removing H7XXI from motherboard, connecting directly to the H7XXI (power switch to usb, config switch to system.

The best way to do the update is with a male-male USB cable connected to the keyboard port of the CMM2. That saves removing the Waveshare module from its home.

I have found that the UPDATE FIRMWARE command is best immediately after a reboot.

I will use the male-male USB cable most of the time but occasionally the slow serial method when I am too lazy to unplug the keyboard dongle. I have a short USB extension on the keyboard port to make unplugging easier.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:53pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  My best estimate would be just over a 1000 hours for the firmware and multiple iterations of the H/W designs

So the gift from Peter and the rest of the development group to the Micromite community at market rates might well approach or exceed £200,000, considering the skills involved.

There cannot be thanks enough to all involved for this stunning effort. I hope it gains the following it deserves.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Bill7300

Posted: 11:03pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Where are the pcb files that you are testing on the JLCpcb website. I seem to have seen only the schematic pdf to date?

Geoff's first post - construction pack
Ah, thanks Peter. I had assumed Poppy was speaking of your single board variety.

Bill
Bill

Sasquatch

Posted: 01:04am 13 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WOW..WOW..WOW  

Just reading the manual...  Love the addition of the more standard CTRL keys in the editor for cut paste copy etc.

Also the up and down arrows at the command prompt for recall of the previous commands is a big deal for me, After all these years I still instinctively reach for that up arrow from the MS-DOS days of 30+ years ago.

I hope some of these enhancements will make it back into some of the older 'Mites eventually.

I also like the native Nunchuk support.  Any insight as to why mouse support was dropped?  I understand that it's a throwback to the bad old 8-bit days but a mouse could be nice if there is not some technical reason why it just won't work.  Besides, some of those old machines (C64, Apple][ etc.) had Mice (Mesis? Mouses?) available in their later years.  Not criticizing just asking!

Now if that slow boat will just bring my parts from China...
-Carl

SWA-Guy

Posted: 06:12am 13 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Poppy said:
I am looking forward to find out, practically it does not matter here that much as I still have to get some parts via ebay from China (those damned 2mm pitched header sockets, I could not find any other near vendor for those as well) and this will take about 4 weeks or more or if they fail a second run ... or third ... or more ...

Hi Poppy,

here a link for the 2mm pitched header from "Reichelt" in Germany:

Yesterday I got two Waveshare-boards and ordered directly the 2mm header and also a test board with 2mm grid:

Page 11 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024