Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:11 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Introducing the Colour Maximite 2

Page 23 of 25    
GregZone

Posted: 06:11pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  The $140 is in AU$ and includes the Waveshare board.
Without the Waveshare their kit is AU$80 (about US$55).
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/20/5478

It appears that if you are a SC subscriber, then these prices are discounted to:
- Shortform Kitset with Waveshare module AU$126
- Shortform Kitset without Waveshare module AU$72
- PCB only AU$9

I just got a 6 month Online subscription, starting from July, so I can collect the 2 article issues (and any follow-up articles that may appear).  

GregZone

Posted: 10:03pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yay, I see Geoff's "Colour Maximite 2" page is now live!

http://geoffg.net/maximite.html

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 11:12pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

!!! The Silicon Chip page I saw was this .
It cites 28 PCBS in stock, was 29 when I read it yesterday. No mention of delays on the pcb at least. No matter.
Edited 2020-06-22 09:18 by zeitfest

panky

Guru

Posted: 11:44pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@cTrix,

Absolutely outstanding video about the new Maximite- will be posting to my old time techo friends on Facebook and hope it goes viral!

Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 01:19am 22 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just got my July SC hard copy. Well written & presented article on the CMM2.
Brian
ChopperP

GregZone

Posted: 01:34am 22 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chopperp said  Just got my July SC hard copy. Well written & presented article on the CMM2.
Brian

Nice. They haven't even published the July cover on the SC website yet.
I just read that my new Online subscription only gives access to each issue from the 1st of each month. So it looks like I have another 9 days to wait.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 02:27am 22 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ GregZone.
The June Online edition was released (to me) on the 27th of May.
They should send you an email when it is available.
Hopefully you may be able to access the July edition a bit sooner

Brian
ChopperP

jeffmon

Posted: 10:43am 24 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HI Geoff.

After a read of the latest Silicon Chip magazine I am in awe of your achievements with the Colour Maximite 2. I already have my order in to Silicon Chip for a kit. Well done and thanks for your efforts.

Jeff Monegal

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 01:43pm 24 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Test.Index says panky was the last post. Not getting it.
ChopperP

GregZone

Posted: 12:01am 25 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chopperp said  @ GregZone.
The June Online edition was released (to me) on the 27th of May.
They should send you an email when it is available.
Hopefully you may be able to access the July edition a bit sooner

Brian

Just letting all know that the Silicon Chip website, as of this morning (25 June), now has the July issue cover on display.

Also, I was now able to download the July Issue PDF with my online subscription.

Firstly, a big congratulations to all involved on a very well written and comprehensive 11 page first article!  

Also, congratulations on getting such prominent coverage on the front cover!  

I think this is going to generate huge interest, along with hopefully a whole new generation of instant-on / standalone system retro computing enthusiasts.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/

ps. I noted in the article, the Nunchuk controller photo states:
  Quote  The Nunchuk is a controller
developed for the Nintendo Wii. The
Colour Maximite 2 has full support
for it, and many games written for the
Colour Maximite 2 use it.

So, where do I find the "many games written for the Colour Maximite 2"?
I suspect the end of this sentence was meant to read:  "... will use it"?
Time for us newbies to get busy learning to code for this thing!  
Edited 2020-06-25 10:25 by GregZone

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 12:33am 25 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glad to hear it. My On Line notification just popped up
ChopperP

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 02:26pm 25 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GregZone said  So, where do I find the "many games written for the Colour Maximite 2"?

What to depend on me, the platform will have tons of games  

I liked CMM very much, and now using the CMM2, every day I discover a new way to develop interesting things, some that before I believed would impossible to do on CMM2 and now are a reality. I'm talking about games, demos, and tests that I not published yet, but soon I will upload videos and host a site full of source codes for CMM2.

But I'm only a single man and we have a growing community, what I believe that soon other users will create a great library for our CMM2. The user "vegepete" with your Falfus2 is a good example.

We will learn together too many things and I sincerely believe that the CMM2 will start a new age of the "retro-future machines".
Edited 2020-06-26 00:28 by MauroXavier

darthvader

Posted: 03:57am 26 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  So, where do I find the "many games written for the Colour Maximite 2"?

I was long time not active here , sooooo long that my primary account was forgotten (DarthMite).
Now i just purchase a CMM2 from SC Mag and will probably do conversion from two games i made for the TI83 PCE calculator (in C).
With the power of the stm32H7 MCU i think it will be doable , those game are these :
Lode Runner

and this one :

Diams (boulder dash clone)

So , now i just wait up to my CMM2 arrives from Australia (other side from the planet for me)  

Cheers.
Theory is when we know everything but nothing work ...
Practice is when everything work but no one know why ;)

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 11:43pm 28 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Joysticks

Can people that write games please seriously consider adding a joystick as a choice for games control?

Nunchuks are not for everyone nor is keyboard control especially people with arthritis or another disability (stroke, accident damage etc.).

It would be helpful if the pins to be used for a joystick could be defined as a 'standard' that all could follow unlike what happened with the CMM1.

Another option could be to use a Micromite as joystick to nunchuk interface converter but that is extra hardware.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 02:58pm 29 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Joysticks

Can people that write games please seriously consider adding a joystick as a choice for games control?

Nunchuks are not for everyone nor is keyboard control especially people with arthritis or another disability (stroke, accident damage etc.).

It would be helpful if the pins to be used for a joystick could be defined as a 'standard' that all could follow unlike what happened with the CMM1.

Another option could be to use a Micromite as joystick to nunchuk interface converter but that is extra hardware.

Bill

I agree. It would be nice to define a "standard". I've brought this up before and it went nowhere.

I made an arcade cabinet with a CMM2 inside it. It would be nice to define sets of buttons.

https://youtu.be/DLsECbxIYp0
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:19pm 29 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  I agree. It would be nice to define a "standard". I've brought this up before and it went nowhere.

I made an arcade cabinet with a CMM2 inside it. It would be nice to define sets of buttons.

Neat cabinet.

And a +2 from me for a standard.

I'm sensing there is some "history" here that makes this difficult. In which case can I suggest one of the H/W guys who is hawking their own wares (no offence) just designs an interface to one and puts it out there, in the absence of anything else putative developers are likely to gravitate to it and thus you have a standard ... I believe this is what Kempston did with the ZX Spectrum leaving Sinclair to play catch-up.

EDIT: if you need help on the code side then I'd be happy to assist - that is unless you want it in the firmware in which case you'll need to persuade Peter.

If you want an interface to an old style NES controller then even I know enough electronics to manage that ... though I'll have to learn how to layout a PCB if I want to hawk it

Regards,

Tom
Edited 2020-06-30 01:35 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 11:23am 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  I agree. It would be nice to define a "standard"

Maybe it's more easy to use the nunchuk port with a Classic controller, with this we have three or more options:

I think it's a modern approach and gives us the possibility to buy a new controller.

"MAYBE" even the wireless version works...

Anyone can send some of these to Peter to include native support in the firmware? (I can't, Brazil is too far)
Edited 2020-06-30 21:26 by MauroXavier

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 12:35pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I never got used to this controller-stuff.

When I started to "play" the ATARI 2600 was the standard:

But then I got my C-64 using the same Joystick and it did not take long for the COMPETITION PRO to show up.

This is what I call a Joystick, but today they are just available as USB-Versions, though I found a nice german manual to make it backwards compatible.
HERE
Andre ... such a GURU?

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:26pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  Maybe it's more easy to use the nunchuk port with a Classic controller, with this we have three or more options

But not if you have arthritic hands or other problems.

I agree that catering for more controllers would be helpful and may help to expand the audience but please don't forget the good old joystick.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:48pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  I agree that catering for more controllers would be helpful and may help to expand the audience but please don't forget the good old joystick.

Hey Bill,

I had an inexpert look at this yesterday ...

It may just be my poor google-fu, but actually buying a "good old joystick" has become challenging, your options are:

* An actual old joystick, probably with worn out microswitches, from ebay.
* A USB flightstick - and to the novice interfacing USB with the CMM2 looks like it would require £10-20 of additional hardware.
* Constructing your own out of the bits that are being sold presumably for those building their own retro arcade machines ... not sure what the native interface for these is, but it appears most are being connected to USB encoders and then to Raspberry Pi's.

Regards,

Tom
Edited 2020-06-30 23:49 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Page 23 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024