Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:28 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Beta Testers Wanted

Page 3 of 26    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:16pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are two PWM channels, which can be used to generate sounds.

[quote]
Frequency range: 20Hz to 500KHz
Duty cycle: 0% to 100% with 0.1% resolution below 25KHz
[/quote]

There is no TONE command though, as I guess setting the PWM output acheives the same thing as the TONE command at the end of the day. Will probably need a RC filter on the back of it, if you are feeding the PWM as audio into an external amplifier stage.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:14pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BobD said  
The 40 pin sockets look to be 0.6 inches wide. The 28 pin PDIP version of the PIC32MX150/250 is 1.4 x 0.3 inches. It's narrow.

Gday Bob,

Actually the socket is designed such that a .3" or .6" chip will fit.... have a close look at the socket.

Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

BobD

Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  
  BobD said  
Actually the socket is designed such that a .3" or .6" chip will fit.... have a close look at the socket.

Mick
Thanks for sorting that out for me. I missed that and was a bit concerned. I might go ahead and get one now.
Bob

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:29pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BobD said  
Thanks for sorting that out for me. I missed that and was a bit concerned. I might go ahead and get one now.
Bob

No worries, Bob,

Now just to put things right here.... I am NOT 100% certain the 40pin sockets layout would suit the Pic that Geoff is using.. In fact I dont have the part No. of the pic32 chip that he uses.. I am sure I could look at microchip but there is probably a big range there.. Do you know what chip the uMite needs?

Mick

PS. I got my Pickit 3 with the adapter board about a year ago, and have never used it.

Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:33pm 11 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

According to the Beta manual, it is a PIC32MX150F128B-I/SP

This is a 28-pin skinny DIL package.
It is also available in SOIC.

Apprently, the firmware will also run on the PIC32MX250F128B-I/SP, but with 17 IO pins instead of 19, cos the 250's have USB interface, but that is not supported by the firmware, so you effectively lose two IO pins if you use that device.

elproducts

Posted: 02:10am 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Lads,
If its just for multi programming I think this might suit the job.
[/Quote]

That socket only works with 8-bit devices ( PIC18f, 16f,12f). Programming pins are different on PIC32 than what the schematic shows.

But the idea is not to multi-program but to have the option for a Maximite user to program MicroMite.
Frankly I don't need Maximite to program in Basic. I can load Liberty Basic on a PC and have at it.

But Maximite is fun and stands on its own. No PC required. It makes it easy to learn programming for anybody. No operating system to install, no compiler or drivers, just turn it on and program. And controlling I/O is just as easy on Maximite. So my thought is it wouldn't it be nice to have the option to not have to use a PC just to program a MicroMite?
I'm sure once it's released the Micromite chips will be available with MMBASIC preinstalled so with a few connections or a pre-built shield your programming a Maximite I/O design into a smaller MicroMite design and still never needing your PC.

Just like 3D printers can make the parts of another 3D printer or Arduino boards can program another Arduino chip.

It's just a nice option to have. That's all I'm saying.

www.elproducts.com

plasma
Guru

Posted: 03:28am 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

this is a esay way to create some cool i2c devices ....

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 04:08am 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hmm, could an old terminal (glass teletype) be used?

I probably threw them all out!

John

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:15am 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

it occurred to me that the PIC32MX150 is very similar to some offerings from atmel. comparing to the ATmega1284P, the atmel chip has half the RAM (only 16k) but 32 I/O pins.

how realistic would be it to have a port of mmbasic that ran on this 1284P? this would open up the way to reusing PCBs like the sanguino, and other arduino-like boards that can be had extremely cheaply.

cheers,
rob :-)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:17am 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said   hmm, could an old terminal (glass teletype) be used?

I probably threw them all out!

John

I don't see why not, so long as you could set the baud-rate of the terminal to match the MM, or if you knew the terminal baud rate, set the MM to match.

However, PC-based software is more configurable and not as big!

I used to have a few of those "Dumb terminal" boxes about the place too(Wyse 100's), but once they died(invariably the CRT finally gave up from running 24/7 and usually with quite impressive burn-in to boot!), the only system still needing one just uses a laptop with terminal software instead.

cwilt

Posted: 11:28am 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good job Geoff. A small one chip device can sure come in handy. Wish I could help beta test but I am on the road and will not be home for at least 6 months but it is nice to pick out bits and pieces from this thread. I wonder if there is any chance to add SD storage?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:47am 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would think not. Geoff has already hinted that getting the trimmed down MMBasic into the 28-pin device was a "Squeeze", to use his words, so I would expect that the routines that handle files are reasonably big, and were all chopped out.

Not that this is a problem for an embedded controller - you don't really NEED SD card ability natively on the chip itself - use the full VGA capable MM if you need SD card reading and writing - simple as that.

Heck, you can even add SD card ability to the MM chip by way of the ALFAT or OpenFiler SD card module if you need it that badly, and control THAT module from the MM chip. Edited by Grogster 2014-01-13

2001cpx

Posted: 01:06pm 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i use CGMMSTICK1,

where is the difference?

i know the difference,but what benefit you can take ?

and the chip is similar price.

thanks for your good works,i like this forum !

"Color Maximite,(Duinomite-Mega,Mini),CGmmStick,GCmicroboard2b,Micromite + explore 64,100,LCD backpack,Lcd Backpack V2,TFT Backpack,Micromite Extreme,Armmite L,F,H,CMM2"

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:18pm 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elproducts said  
That socket only works with 8-bit devices ( PIC18f, 16f,12f). Programming pins are different on PIC32 than what the schematic shows.

Thanks Chuck,

I wasnt aware that they changed their programming pins.. That's a bit of a bummer, I dont (yet) have any information of the chip pinouts but being only 5(or6) pins on the PICKIT3 programming header it shouldnt be too hard to modify to make it work.. even linkable for the 2 different pinouts. If that was what someone wanted to do (as I will probably do once the uMite has been released in all its glory).

I wasnt mentioning it as an alternative to your suggestion, which certainly has validity, I was responding as a cheap backbone to program the chips in multiples for those who may use several..

Regards,

Mick

PS. I haven't had a copy of the CHIPS newsletter for a while.. Has there been a hiatus for some reason?

Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:22pm 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ 2001cpx - All you say is correct. In fact, I even considdered the MiniMM at one point, for embedded applications.

I guess it is a matter of choice, when it comes down to it.

The DIL package(or SOIC) is easy for anybody to hand-solder and much easier for the home constructor to design a PCB they can etch at home, whereas the 100 pin QFP is much more tricky to hand-solder, although it is possible with a steady hand, some flux, and paitence.

I know there are even members here who have made breakout boards for the QFP by etching a board at home, but that's not for me.

Edited by Grogster 2014-01-14

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:27pm 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday All,

If anyone wants to get their hands on a chip or two quickly Element14 (farnell) in Australia have 1off QTY at $6.78

Element14

And for this month if you quote 0FREIGHT, postage will be free (I think that is Australia only, sorry O/S members)

I know Geoff said they were about half that from microchip but postage for a single chip would make that QTY uneconomical.

Regards,

Mick

2001cpx

Posted: 02:43pm 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

to Grogster:

Indeed you are right,

I love dil format, I took many, it is more convenient to experiment.

Edited by 2001cpx 2014-01-14
"Color Maximite,(Duinomite-Mega,Mini),CGmmStick,GCmicroboard2b,Micromite + explore 64,100,LCD backpack,Lcd Backpack V2,TFT Backpack,Micromite Extreme,Armmite L,F,H,CMM2"

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 06:11pm 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a few PIC32MX150F128B-50I/SP (DIP) and also the very small SSOP(208mil) version in stock, they will be 4.50US$ excluding shipping.
Shipping in padded envelope is about 2US$.
It will take about 10 days to arrive at your destination.
If there is interest i can combine it with other parts to make a kit.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:24pm 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'll take a couple please. Zap me a PM.

cwilt

Posted: 07:53pm 12 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   I would think not. Geoff has already hinted that getting the trimmed down MMBasic into the 28-pin device was a "Squeeze", to use his words, so I would expect that the routines that handle files are reasonably big, and were all chopped out.

Not that this is a problem for an embedded controller - you don't really NEED SD card ability natively on the chip itself - use the full VGA capable MM if you need SD card reading and writing - simple as that.

Heck, you can even add SD card ability to the MM chip by way of the ALFAT or OpenFiler SD card module if you need it that badly, and control THAT module from the MM chip.

Yes he did hint that it was a trimmed down version but it never hurts to ask a direct question.

Page 3 of 26    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024