Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:30 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MicroMite Beta 15

Page 3 of 4    
atmega8

Guru

Posted: 12:15pm 20 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A device with a portpin that shows an Arrow pointing to the device is receiving data on this pin.
So this pin RXD.
An Arrow that directs out of The pin sends data on this pin, so its TXD.

This IS also an industry standard for fibrechannel or SAS ports.

Absolutely clear an logic.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:53pm 20 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

viscomjim said  How many beta testers for micromite and how many users of maximite have ever considered this as an issue. I have not seen any forum posts that read, "I can't get my terminal program to talk to xmite as I can't seem to figure out the meaning of RX an TX."

Hi viscomjim,

This is probably because Geoff supplied a circuit that it completely clear and unambiguous.

See the following Circuit from the manual. Not only did Geoff draw little arrows to show direction, he added text to emphasise it.

Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:11pm 20 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I have to agree - the manual is superbly written.
...just like MMBasic.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:31pm 20 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

how about having RxD and TxD pins auto-configure? upon startup, the micromite tries wiggling both pins, and the one that declines to be moved is set as being the keyboard input line from the terminal?

btw, i am not being serious (although it would likely be doable). no matter what labelling convention is used, someone will be confused and/or be unhappy. the infallible only solution is a hot soldering iron at the ready and being prepared to swap over the lines early on in any diagnosis process.

rob :-)

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:25pm 20 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

graynomad said  Where is the manual, or for that matter any information on the MicroMite? I've been all over Geoff's site and cannot find any mention of it. This is one allusive device.

Rob,
Geoff sent it all out by e-mail with the original betas, when he asked on TBS for people to help with the beta testing. If you e-mail him you should be set. At the moment the MicroMite is still not officially released - I guess Geoff is bringing it as far and bug-free as possible before the April Silicon Chip is published which will have an article from him.

Greg

Oh, also all the new betas and Manual versions are sent by him to the participants.

Just received the April SC in the mail and there's nothing there so think it must be the May edition.
Edited by paceman 2014-03-22

graynomad

Posted: 04:48am 21 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  At the moment the MicroMite is still not officially released

Yes I understand now, just getting up to speed on the board but from the little I've seen it looks like a better option than the Picaxe, not the least because (I gather) it's open source.
Rob Gray, AKA the Graynomad, www.robgray.com

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:47am 21 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No, not open source.

Best read Geoff's site for the details.

JohnEdited by JohnS 2014-03-22

graynomad

Posted: 03:18pm 21 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  not open source.

Bugga, see that heading off into the distance, that's my interest Still I know Geoff got burnt before with OS.

Quote  Best read Geoff's site for the details.

I tried that, couldn't find a single mention of the uMite board, but as has been mentioned it's not released yet so that makes sense.Edited by graynomad 2014-03-23

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:54pm 21 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

graynomad said  
  Quote  not open source.
Bugga, see that heading off into the distance, that's my interest

the maximite source code is available on request to pretty much anyone, and i am expecting the same will apply to the micromite source code too. so i don't see why there should be any concerns - if you find a fault at some undefined future time, you can always just fix it yourself. the only real limitation is republishing the source code. if you need to redistribute a fixed .HEX file, this can be done as a binary diff file packaged with the original .HEX file easily enough. though i am quire sure that geoff will be happy to fix any bugs that are found for many years to come.

if i were, for example, designing a major project using micromite basic, i would request a copy of the interpreter's source code and stash that away with my own (personal/private) design plans should i need to revisit the project. if i were distributing the project, i'd make sure a copy of the .HEX file was included (which i believe geoff is ok with) which would then be sufficient to allow others to recreate the complete project.

geoff: you might wish to chime in. what things can folks NOT do with the micromite that are likely to pose any real limitation?

Edited by robert.rozee 2014-03-23

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 05:59pm 21 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As I understand it,it was open source before. Then everyone started to make their own version and then 'bother' the original author for mistakes, differences, bug fixes etc.

Open source has its own set of problems and it has most to do with the 'i know better/but don't want to support' people.
I think Geoff found a good middle way.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 08:17pm 21 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff wrote an article about it all - available on his website. Problems with Open Source

graynomad

Posted: 09:04pm 21 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good article and it seems the current arrangement is pretty fair and can certainly claim to be one of the "Open source" flavours. Maybe one of the CC licenses would be appropriate.

Interestingly I recently looked into trade marking something I'm working on, I figured that it was too hard but in light of Geoff's experiences maybe not. One problem is that despite us all thinking our latest widget is going to take the world by storm the chances are it won't, so do you spend money on protection and not need it, or wind up needing it having not spent the money.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:13pm 21 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

...the patent/trade-mark love triangle...

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 03:05am 22 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  geoff: you might wish to chime in. what things can folks NOT do with the micromite that are likely to pose any real limitation?

I plan to release the source under the same system as with the Maximite. Incidentally, the only restriction is that you do not redistribute the source or make modified versions of it available without asking first and I have never refused anyone who has asked.

However, it will not be easy to recompile the Micromite source because I had to use a number of high level optimisations and they are only available in the full compiler which costs considerable $$$. The situation will be easier when the PIC32MX170 series becomes available.

graynomad said  I recently looked into trade marking something I'm working on.

The only problem that I have found with this is that it costs a lot to register a trade mark. So you have to be sure that your "something" will be a hit.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:39am 22 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

a bug, perhaps. a new bug!

the following code fragment fails abysmally:

Function keypress(a)
Print "called"
If keyvolt > 1.7 Then
keypress = -1
Else
If keyvolt < 0.140 Then keypress = 1 Else
If keyvolt < 0.225 Then keypress = 4 Else
If keyvolt < 0.330 Then keypress = 7 Else

the error comes up at the line containing 0.140 (the previous different IF format was just to see the error pushed down to the next IF statement). the output is:
  Quote  > run
called
[30] If keyvolt < 0.140 Then keypress = 1 Else
Error: Invalid syntax
>

i think that the problem is the interpreter being unhappy with keypress being assigned to withing a 1-line IF... THEN... ELSE statement without parameters to the function. ie, the interpreter is trying to call the function keypress, rather than assigning 1 to the returned value.

there is also something wonky about creating and calling a function that has no arguments. i added the (a) to try and get around that.

rob :-)Edited by robert.rozee 2014-03-23

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 04:06am 22 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The problem is with the syntax that you used. You have a single line IF statement and the correct syntax is:
IF <condition> THEN <statement> ELSE <statement>

But you have nothing after the ELSE. The interpreter is quite correctly saying "else what?"

You should use the multiline version:

If keyvolt < 0.140 Then
keypress = 1
ElseIf keyvolt < 0.225 Then
keypress = 4
ElseIf keyvolt < 0.330 Then
keypress = 7
EndIf

Standard Microsoft syntax, page 37 of the manual.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:12am 22 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

aha! i had just copied the syntax from page 37 as it was formatted:

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:44am 22 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

addendum:

while the IF/THEN etc problem is solved, i still have to use the following code:

Do
Do
key = keypress()
Loop Until key <> -1

key = keypress()
Print key, keyvolt
' Pause 100

Do
key = keypress()
Loop Until key = -1
Loop

Function keypress
If keyvolt > 1.7 Then
keypress = -1
ElseIf keyvolt < 0.140 Then
keypress = 1
ElseIf keyvolt < 0.225 Then
keypress = 4
' *** extra lines clipped out ***
Else
keypress = 23
EndIf
End Function

that is, when calling the function keypress i can not leave out the brackets (). is this correct? if the brackets are left out, the code within the function is never executed, but no error is raised - the function just returns zero.

i'm also finding that reading an analog pin (pin 2) within a timer interrupt only works if the interrupt is called at a rate of 100ms or less. is this to be expected? does there need to be a delay between analog reads to allow the A/D converter to reset?

cheers,

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 05:12am 22 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

addendum 2:

the problems with reading the analog inputs can be circumvented by providing a 100k resistor to ground on the input. it seems that the micromite gets very unhappy with an analog input being read when said input is only loosely coupled to a fixed voltage (in my case a reverse-biased diode junction to Vcc).

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 05:57am 22 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Robert a function always needs the () otherwise the name will be seen as a variable.
The variable will be zero because it is never assigned a value.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024