Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:43 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Biggest mistakes made when new to solar

Page 1 of 3    
BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 08:10pm 01 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm new to solar

I have done a lot of reading and a lot of research

But I overlooked the most important thing when going to solar

Not taking the advice of people that's been there done that

So the best advice I can give someone when going solar would be

just because you've done a lot of research and thank you know what you need

you don't and it's going to cost you

Talk to people that has been there and done that before you buy anyting

companies want to sell stuff that's what they're in business for

Real people real life experience that's the advice to you need to take advantage of

And that's what this post is for

This form has a vast amount of knowledge and information on it

There's electrical engineers programmers electricians electronic technician back shedders of course

and vast amounts of other people with experience and have been there and done that

And the awesome thing about it is

it's all free!!! You just have to be willing to listen

anyone that has been there and done that

and would want to share their knowledge or mistakes please do so hereEdited by BenandAmber 2019-05-03
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 09:02pm 01 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agreed!

It would be safe to say that approaching this like any system engineering perspective would maximize the chances of success.

1. Lay out your requirements to as much details as possible
2. Figure out what you need
3. Figure out what you have
4. Fill the gap using a weighted coefficient checklist. Weights/coefficient per item in the checklist can be thought of as a priority proxy
5. Iterate and optimize adding to the checklist

For me, most of the solar advice was to go the 12V or 24V route.

That's how things are done. Youtube is full of them.

So purchase low volume (hence expensive) 12V or 24V PV panels; thick cables; inverters; batteries; MPPT chargers etc

Instead I followed the above 5 steps and landed with rejected grid tie panels that are produced (and trashed) at volume. There are so many damaged panels locally that I now have to consider what kind I get because they take too much space.

I get away with using regular landscape wire and my family's power tools, our chargers, lights, blenders just run fine straight off PV!

I can "kinda" loadshare with the grid when PV power is not enough.

NO thick cables; inverters; batteries.

This is far from ideal. by far, but it proves what's possible.

I now need to "Iterate and optimize" so I can drive heating elements to heat water and obtain zero crossings via DC so that AC rated switches don't weld, damaging themEdited by LadyN 2019-05-03

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 09:42pm 01 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

U go ladyN

have you ever thought about unwinding Transformers

When you do this you can rewind it with whatever size hole you want

I used 4 Transformers to make my big Transformer they were just a tiny bit smaller around then the ones you have but they were just a tiny bit taller

There is an article on this form telling you all about it how to do it

I have been told by the man himself that the wire is what mainly determines your wattage the bigger core dissipates Heat better though

With this being said how often are you going to be running over 3000 or so watts

and for how long
you may find that a smaller core with a bigger hole and bigger wire might just be fine for you

Of course don't take my word for it run it by warpspeed

I could be wrong but that was my understanding

I can send you what I have left of those toroids and you might just be able to come up with something you're happy with

I have done this but haven't got it wound yet

I am waiting on spray enamel to get here I bought 3 cans 15oz per can for $22 off of eBay and the spray enamel is purpose made for enameling wire

I will be doing some testing on enameling regular wire to see how well it could be done diy with this method

The wire that came off that big Square Transformer was in really bad shape so I am re enameling it

At this point I wouldn't recommend doing this on regular wire with no enamel already on it but that may change I'll let you know

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 10:26pm 01 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ben, thank you!

OK, honestly, compared to unwinding Transformers, I am really excited about learning how to make my own toroids from you.

You have changed the game completely with that. I can't wait to look at the results of an oZverter, and later a warpverter, made with your handmade toroids.

For now, I am working on getting a working DC system. I have a long long way to go there.

Then comes AC - I'm sure by then, you will have posts and videos showing how to make our own toroids. I am, as always, available to help you with any details.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 10:43pm 01 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you very much for the kind words but I didn't change the game

I got the information off someone else

they're on this form and have a post that tells you everything about it they've even done testing

Now I haven't read anywhere where someone made their own enameled wire

that is something I'm very interested in because of the cost

It's pretty easy for me to get regular wire seems like it's just always falling in my lap

And I do think anyone could get it pretty cheap from a recycling center or other use locations

Edited by BenandAmber 2019-05-03

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 10:48pm 01 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I always welcome an opportunity to learn.

Can you give me a link about the post(s) about building toroids from scratch.

To clarify, I am not talking about rewinding toroids with existing cores but making the core from steel laminations like you posted pictures of, which were extremely inspirational!

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 10:49pm 01 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

azhaque is the one that gave the link

And I think he's the one that's done all the experimenting

You might have to get a hold of him so I can't find it

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll put another link on this page can't have enough links to this awesome informationEdited by BenandAmber 2019-05-03

MasterCATZ

Posted: 01:26am 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had someone rock up last week wanting 10x 250w panels .. all they wanted to do was charge 1x 12v car battery to run LED lights ... I gave them a shattered hail damaged panel to use ...

hotwater

Posted: 12:41pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't know what is wrong with that. I have 2500W of panels and a 12V battery. I think it is an ideal system. Not quite, I'm about to add more panels. People generally start out too small of panels and too much battery.

MasterCATZ

Posted: 12:50pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

well for one a 250 watt panel will fry a car battery,
0.2C 20% of battery capacity
so a 120ah battery can only be charged @ 288 watts ..
10x pannels .. would have been cooking it :P tho I must admit 2x 250watt panels to fully charge it , but if its that low its going to be dead anyhow

yes but you have more AH

hotwater

Posted: 05:50pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I don't approach solar like other people. Only one conclusion can be drawn drawn from that, everybody else is wrong. It is a very custom system and the battery is not required to provide more than 6AH of storage, enough to keep me alive at night. If a battery doesn't discharge more than 10%, it is pretty hard to get a lot current into it. It works quite well. Don't try this at home. It is just for the wizards.

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 06:29pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hotwater said   Well, I don't approach solar like other people. Only one conclusion can be drawn drawn from that, everybody else is wrong

The more realistic option is that they are clueless/uninformed.

If I had never discovered this forum, I would not have the 130V DC GTI PV powered system I have now.

Having a hard time reigning in my dad and brothers from running their tools off off it. They can't wait for me to let them run their tools.

I will be building them a DC rated switch using N-Channel mosfets so they dont ruin the AC rated switches and contacts those tools come with.

My laptop, fan are all running off PV right now.

NO inverters.

Next step will be handling the HWS - there are two 220V rated heated elements, 12 Ohm nominal.

There's a complicated thermostat setup - one per element plus the ECO for the top element.

220V comes in to the top element unit and from there, power routes to the bottom element.

I have traced the wiring but don't know what's inside the top box.

The bottom element box is obviously a thermostat in series, but the top box is a black box to me!

4 terminals on the left, 3 terminals on the right.

Have been looking for a disassembly or schematic for the internals and no luck so far :'(Edited by LadyN 2019-05-10

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 07:18pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LadyN

On the back of those element thermostats you will see a little hole

Find a toothpick or something and push in on that little hole you will hear a click

It is a piece of bi metal that opens a set of points when the temperature gets too high

It is a safety feature

put your multimeter on continuity test and probe out the connections

and then take note after you pop the little bi metal which connections became open circuit

The ones with the little red button on the front are resettable

and you have to push the red button to reset it

the ones without the red button you have to hold in for open circuit

so another words you got to hold pressure in on it to have an open circuit

unless the temperature is high enough to make it switch open

If you're going to be heating water you have to have redundancy for safety

Back in the day hot water heaters literally blew up

and went through upstairs floor upstairs rough and out into the yard killing people along the way

Hot water heaters nowadays have a pressure release valve also along with the safety measures I mentioned earlier you have to have all of these

Or you risk killing yourself or someone else

I'm not trying to be mean about it

I know a guy that lost the use of a leg because of the hot water heater when he was a child

Extreme Caution must be taken when heating water in a closed vesselEdited by BenandAmber 2019-05-10

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 07:35pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok, if I take off those thermostats (after killing power to it), will water come out or something?

Is taking off those little black thermostat boxes easy and putting them back on again?

I can turn off the water heater, take a shower to get the water cold and then do this

I am happy to tinker as long as we won't need a plumber or electrician to put it back again.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 10:22pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What I'm saying is those little black boxes keep your water from getting so hot it makes your water tank explode

If you do away with that then you only have one safety device and that is the pressure release valve and they sometimes stick

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 11:46pm 08 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No, I definitely do not want to do away with them at all.

I dont know how they work so:

1. I want to remove them from the HWS tank when the tank is cold and switched off
2. I want to try out the various leads on them and try and figure out how they connect without breaking them
3. Once I have the data I need, I plan to connect them back exactly as they were

My questions were:

i. If I remove them, will the HWS tank start leaking water or something? The reason why I ask is, as you mentioned, there is a hole at the back of these little boxes - what goes into the hole? Air or water?

ii. Is it easy to remove them and put them back without major hassle?

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 11:44pm 09 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just air nothing will leak unless you take an actual element out

You're going to find that those are very simple

The thermostat breaks the circuit or connects the circuit and the safety breaks the circuit when it gets above a certain temperature

like I said you can push in on them with a toothpick or something the thermostat is the one that you have to hold in and the one that clicks and stays open circuit is the safetyEdited by BenandAmber 2019-05-11

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 11:50pm 09 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK.

Told the brother that I was planning to learn about the setup and turns out he's going to start an extension job at a house that needs to be demo'd. He's pretty sure that house has an electric water heater; he will check tomorrow.

So this weekend I might get to look at another electric water heater and since there will be no power or water to it, I will be pretty safe checking it out.

Can't wait!

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 01:30am 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The biggest thing I think you would have to overcome is trying to figure out if the DC voltage will hurt the points in the thermostat and the safety cut out

I know I read somewhere a while back where you can use a regular off-the-shelf AC hot water heater element with DC it is a certain element I think they so you would have to research it

They may already make something like this for DC not sure you'd have to do a Google searchEdited by BenandAmber 2019-05-11

hotwater

Posted: 06:21pm 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Under 30V DC is always safe, tungsten a little higher. There are ways to reduce the voltage differential for the time it takes to open. Thought you were using pulsed DC. The smaller black box just above the thermostat is the thermal overload safety switch. It mechanically opens and has to be manually reset. It should always be directly in series with the element. This is generally only included in the upper thermostat, but can be added to a lower thermostat.

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024