Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:37 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : New F&P micro hydro generator

Page 3 of 3    
RossW
Guru

Posted: 07:36am 25 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MacGyver said  
The thought occurred to me those high-voltage lines are sure to leak flux. If you could somehow get a coil winding close enough to one of these 11KVA lines to induce a current into it, you could snag some free power.

It's an interesting idea that others have given a go too.
It seems to be an interesting timing issue.
If the power company comes along and puts power lines up, and YOU come along later and build a shed under them with coils, and harvest power - they can (and have) had people for theft of electricity.

HOWEVER, at least one enterprising chap took advantage of the powerlines being built over his EXISTING place and put coils in there. Power company took him to court for theft of their electricity, but got thrown out as he was there first!

Urban myth or fact? I can't recall. It was some years ago, but it sounds about right.

SSW_squall

Posted: 03:36am 26 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the input guy's...

Thanks for that really good suggestion Karl, checked out the specs for the Latronics inverter and it look like it's well suited to a hybrid grid tie battery system.
Hadn't really considered this set up seriously but the more i think about it the more it seems to be the best of both worlds.
If the battery voltage is below 54V (float voltage) then the solar arrray or micro hydro charges the battery and powers any DC loads. Once the voltage gets above 54V then the grid tie inverter starts exporting power back into our house and the grid.
In essence the grid tie inverter is functioning as a diversion load controller.
That way i can keep the ups inverter separate and use that for powering various small loads like my workshop ect
And if the grid fails i always have that as a fall back option.
Sounds great and i should be able to collect the $8000 government rebate for the solar array + inverter!!
Now i just need to find someone to who will sign off on this rather unconventional system...

Thank MAC for the warning about UV damaging the pipe, i have already painted some of the pipe that is visible from the house dark green to mainly to help it blend in with the surroundings.
Painting the rest is yet another task for the summer months...

Mythbusters did do a show on "free energy" or more specifically in this case: "free energy for me".
But they were unable to harvest any significant power off the power line by an induction coil.

Regards

AB

Einstein: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024