Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:18 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Home Built CNC Project

Page 4 of 4    
Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 02:01am 20 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day Guy's,
           Well finally some shed time and got thinking about this project, now that old parallel port controller still worked from back in the day and years ago I did make a pcb breakout board to get access to all the pins.

Found all my data I recorded so got the old Mach3 info and the parallel port pin outs so connecting to the CMM2 will be easy.

I'm waiting on a PS2-usb dongle so I can get the mouse going, now I did have an old PS2/USB mouse a microsoft one and when trying to load that well the CMM2 reported the mouse didn't connect and went into error mode. Disabling the mouse fixed the problem and I do have an old PS2 mouse here.

Now the way I want to go is make a GUI file then each task can be done before moving on to the next one.

I did put 2 extra outlets on Z axis frame so the capture mode will be a good one to get going.

Regards Bryan

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:52am 21 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well the fun continues I tried connecting my win10 laptop to the CMM2 and only to find windows said it couldn't recognize the drive   So thats one hurdle to get over next week.

Anyway I got on to Altronics today and got some pcb connectors so that parallel port board can have all new connections and for the output pins on the CMM2 got a mixed pack of breadboard connectors where I can simply solder on longer wires to suit.

Made a start on the code and with only a 3 day work week all the stuff should be here by mid week and I'll keep on writing the code at work over night for a few hours each night. Plenty of comments in the code so I can see just what I'm doing but I will get there in baby steps.

So my plan of attack is to use this old parallel port 3 axis controller which does have a second port for other items like a lcd displays etc. Also need to find just how the parallel port signals are used like OC or digital etc so more hunting.

Cheers Bryan

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024