Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:41 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Copyright information on images

Page 1 of 3    
Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:15am 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It been brought to my attention that some of the images on this site have been stolen and used on other sites to sell windmill stuff not related to thebackshed. This was first noticed a year back when a UK based ebay seller was advertising a "Build your own Windmill instructions" on dvd, using photos and text cut and pasted from this web site. I contacted ebay and put my case forward, and they quickly removed the offending ebay seller.

More recently a Chineese web site has been using photos from this forum and web site to try and market windmill blades. Again, these images and info were taken without consent, and the offender has even added their own watermark to the images! Not much we can do about the Chineese case, our copyright laws and ethics mean nothing in China.

As far as I'm concerned, images and information posted on this site belong to the member who posted it. I wont delete a image or text posted unless there is a good reason to do so, even at the request of the member who posted it. Nothing looks worse than a disjointed thread with missing images. But more importantly, I wont reuse the image or text without permission of the member. If I want to use a members image in a article or elsewhere, I will ask for permission to do so, and so should everyone else.

So what I want to do is add watermarts to every image uploaded by members. The watermark will contain the members username, this web site address, and the date it was uploaded, like this example below. The watermark will happen automatically as the image is uploaded to the forum.

But before I make these changes, I need to check you guys are OK with this. How do you feel about it? It wont stop some low life in China from stealing the images, but it makes it harder, and they will need to crop the image to remove the watermark.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

stuarts

Posted: 11:21am 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn, I'd consider putting the watermark across the centre of the image to make them unusable anywhere else. I'm sure if they looked much like what you have there, they wouldn't detract from what we are trying to convey in the photos.

Stuart
Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:30pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good idea Glenn, its fine with me to put on my images.
Klaus

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 12:30pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen,
I'm not technology savy and wondering if there is a way of limiting reproduction to registered members only?I've seen advertising for F&P motors and mill parts that I felt may have copied forum content,while others make direct reference to it to promote sales the latter not being an issue as I understand it.I worked as a sign writer for a while and all that was required in Australia to protect your work was the letter C encased by a circle.I don't know if that still holds true,the copy wright laws are an ever exspanding feild for litigation.Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

donmck

Guru

Posted: 12:31pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stuarts said   Glenn, I'd consider putting the watermark across the centre of the image to make them unusable anywhere else. I'm sure if they looked much like what you have there, they wouldn't detract from what we are trying to convey in the photos.

Stuart

I have to agree with Stuart Glenn, so easy to crop the text out.

Depends if your machine will a big water mark in the centre of the picture of course.

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 12:36pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn,
I would have to agree with Stuart. Adding a water mark at the bottom the image will make it slightly harder to steal but with a quick crop and the water mark is gone! Adding the water mark in the centre of the image maybe a distraction and limit the detail under the water mark, but will make it extremely difficult to remove.
And thanks for looking out for us! It's good to know you have our back on this sort of thing!
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:04pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Indeed, is easy to crop text out but, you can still prove that the image is yours, Because is hard to add what is missing.

But here appear another problem. Sometime, when we refer a site and an event, we put also images from that site... so, we can't have the watermark on those images.
Solution is to put only our images.

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 04:26pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo,
Great Idea, as VASI said all photos could not be Marked.
I agree with Vasi that Members ID their own work that they want to protect from Market Thieves.
A simple Tag that suits them could be placed on uploaded images in a place that would not hide a detail but would remove a portion of the Image. -----Cheers, Roe

Edited by Greenbelt 2011-06-27
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:25pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe we can still rely on forum script (is pleasant to have only one style on watermark)... if the uploading script can provide a checking box for watermarking...

VasiEdited by vasi 2011-06-27
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:32pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

But thinking more, the example watermark provided by Glenn says that the photo was uploaded by X and not owned or created by X. According to this, we can watermark all uploaded photos.
Dunno...

VasiEdited by vasi 2011-06-27
Beyound Arduino Lang

mac46

Guru

Posted: 06:21pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo,

I'm ok with what ever is decided, a water mark, ID script, ect.

...Mac46
I'm just a farmer

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 06:40pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo,
How about adding a standard format tool to the post reply page where the author could add his name and place the watermark at his discretion.
------Cheers, Roe Edited by Greenbelt 2011-06-27

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:35pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been playing aroud with the code and I can overlay semi transparent text instead of opaque text. This means the copyright info can be across the middle of the image, barely visible, and near impossible to remove.

Yeah I have no control over linked in images, only images uploaded. The (c)username tells everyone the image belongs to member X, and the "Uploaded to thebackshed.com" and date tells everyone member X uploaded it to thebackshed, a paper trail, giving thebackshed permission to display the picture.

I'll look into adding a check box on the image upload screen, sometimes its hard to do with file upload forms. Basically, "tick here to add copyright watermark". That way the member decides if they want the copyright info included, in case the image belongs to a 3rd party, etc.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 09:09pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I personally wouldn't bother with the check box option. Just automatically add the water mark as standard. I think that if we the users upload to the site this is inferred permission, so an automatic watermark will cover the users and the site.

I'm no leagal expert, just my 2 cents worth.
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 11:52pm 25 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen,

That semi transparent Text and a Tic Box sounds perfect, all standard, Looks good, no hassle and gets the job Done. Hope you can work it out.----Roe

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 12:04am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

VK6MRG,
HI.
The Server computer has no way of knowing whether you authored the image or it is owned by others, It only knows You uploaded it.
If you wanted to upload a picture or diagram furnished by others(picaxe.windmill,etc.)
it would not be legal to watermark it as your property.
A check box will give you freedom to use images that are not copyrighted and are not your property while checking the Box will protect your personal Ideas if you choose.
(is this Right?)----Cheers, Roe Edited by Greenbelt 2011-06-27

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 12:05am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Attaboy, Glen

Git 'er done just like your example! Great idea.

. . . . . Mac
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

fillm

Guru

Posted: 01:17am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

I have been going through their/his " The F#c#ink Low Life Ripp off B@st@rds" who seem to want the infomation for free that is done here with all good intensions and for the benifit of the members and visitors to this site , that they then upload it to their own pages with out a single acknowledgement on where it has come from.

I have found they have also stolen " OZTULES chainsaw blades " as well as all the work Myself and Glenn did with the Aluminium & PVC Blades .

Here's the Links Oz Chainsaw Blades and the Alu & PVC stuff Here, on that site that has been "STOLEN"

I think it is a good move to watermark all pictures on the backshed Glenn.

Edited by fillm 2011-06-27
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Air Bender

Posted: 01:46am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

It is wrong that someone could take our projects and market them as there own.

Im all for it, which ever way you want to do it.

All the best Dean.

fillm

Guru

Posted: 03:07am 26 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Glenn,

When you start going through a lot of the posts on that site, it seems like they just flog everything from everywhere .

Found a couple more Heres your AX Build and directly below it The Lenz .
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024