Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:51 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Copyright information on images

Page 3 of 3    
neil0mac

Posted: 10:04pm 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vawtwindy said   look at the hidden portion of gizmo.

Nice try. Takes about 5 minutes to remove. The only way to really hide it is to use white print on a white background. (Then the original owner can't even see it! As rasrus says, You can only stop the 'honest' people ... OR, as I say, .. those out to just 'prove a point')Edited by neil0mac 2011-06-29

vawtwindy

Posted: 10:29pm 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not trying to discourage Glen here

Its a major effort Glen has invested on it, trying to strengthen his effort by adding his own image,

The same water mark can be placed at the middle of the image,? since its transparency level is less than 20%, it would suit there as well.

Glen accept my apologies.

I admire his works on this board. Not only water mark, but the Chat is also too good.Edited by vawtwindy 2011-06-29

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:09pm 27 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats OK, it all helps to improve the watermark.

I'll be tinkering with it over the next few days, playing around with fonts and colours to get something thats unobtrusive but readable. The windmill photo is an example of how easy it can be to remove a watermark and add your own, but in that case there was a lot of blue space to "clone" over the existing watermark. Its more difficult when the watermark in over a detailed section of the image.

Adding a simple watermark like the one I'm using will make it harder to copy images off this site, which is enough to stop most pirates. But if someone is determined enough, they can remove just about any watermark.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Robb

Posted: 01:24am 28 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen feel free to delete this shot but as you say that's how easy it is. Not perfect but is it a cloud? Big bold and over the item in question may help.

Oh righty oh. I hit preview and now its copyright labelled to me. Now if I was quoting this with arrows to talk about something in the picture and its on this forum would that constitute fair use. Probably yes.

The plot thickens......

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:26pm 28 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm thinking maybe the (c) symbol isn't needed. Just the member name and site address would be enough to deter most people from easily copying the image.

Someone mentioned to me there could be a problem if the images uploaded by members are actually copyright to someone else. Thats makes us as bad as the people who copy images from this site and add their own copyright watermark.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:58pm 29 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

Use @ instead of (c) to show that the name is a forum id. Is a common practice to refer to an id.

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 01:15pm 29 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen,
My exspereince is otherwise.The encased "C" is a legal stamp that signifies copies are restricted(by the cicle) and puts all on notice that any copying can only be done with the owners autherisation.The copywrite symbol is more important than the other listing.Without it,details provide a reference to the source without limitation.No one should use any copywrite material on the sight unless they have paid for it and/or have legal rights to use it.Another aproach could be that members give/donate copywrite to Homegrown Power which then sells downloads/copies with the proceeds going towards the costs of the forum.As others have said "it could become messy"Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:19pm 30 Jun 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the feedback guys. Some good ideas, and I'll be reviewing them over the next few days until I settle on the best approach. I like Brians suggestion regarding disabling the right click on image and save function, I've used something similar in the past. I think I'll use a combination of tricks, depending on where in the site the images are.

At the end of the day, nothing is going to stop someone determined enough to copy images, but taking a few small steps, like the watermark, will discourage a lot of unauthorised copying.

Glenn
JAQ

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 04:38pm 19 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
Probably a little late,congratulations with the water mark,it apears to be doing the job and forum members are readily using it which can be taken as supportive!Cheers Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 04:31am 27 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn, is it possible to reuse an image that I have uploaded previously in a new post, I have tried a number of things but nothing I have tried works so far.

yahoo
I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:36am 27 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, you can use the Add Image button instead of the Image Upload button . The Add Image button lets you insert a image from another web page, the Image Upload button lets you upload a image from your computer.

Go to the post with your old image, right click on the image and go to Properties. You should be able to see the URL information, something like http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/uploads/membername/pic.jpg. Copy that URL, and in your new post, click the Add Image button and paste the URL info when asked.

Glenn
JAQ

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 04:49am 27 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn,
I tried that one and I got a placeholder but no image, I may have got the wrong address but I don't think i did, I will have another go at it. the other thing I noticed is the profile links to images give a "page not found" return. I tried it with yours and it works fine.

yahoo

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 27 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

not sure what is happening

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/uploads/yahoo2/2011-10-05_0 12041_solar_watts_summer_winter.jpg

from the original post, this works sometimes depending what I place near it in the post

http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/forum1/uploads/yahoo2/20 11-10-05_012041_solar_watts_summer_winter.jpg

From my membership listing, I cant get this to work at all

http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/forum1/uploads/VAWT/2010 -09-03_110837_Merry-Go-Wind.jpg

one of VAWT's, from the membership list, works all the time.

cheers yahoo

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:14pm 27 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Top one works for me ok, but I'm the boss . Can you provide more info on what makes it work and not work for you. Last 2 images are pointing to the old forum location, when it used to be under the Windmill directory. They shouldn't work at all for any images posted since I moved the forum to its current directory location. The VAWT image was posted before the change over.

Steer clear of the Members Files list, its buggy and pointing to the old directory. I need to fix it, but give me a couple of days, bit busy at the moment.

Can you post a link to the forum post you are trying to use an image from. That way I can go and see if I can replicate the problem.

Glenn
JAQ

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 11:37pm 27 Oct 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/uploads/yahoo2/2011-06-19_1 55339_IMG_1244_1_1.JPG

this was the image I first had trouble with, I was collecting a few things together to do a battery damage thread, I didn't see much sense in uploading the same image twice so I tried the add image tab then previewed it, when the preview box didn't show an image I assumed I had done it wrong and started fishing around for other options.

I had a peek at some of the code in some posts and saw them pointing to the old forum. that's when I tried the /windmill/forum1 links and really confused myself.

I haven't posted an image link to the forum and had it fail, just the preview box, I didn't want to post something that was half baked and look like a complete idiot, so it may just be a glitch navigating through Telstra's servers that is delaying the image. While writing this the first time I previewed it, the image was missing with just the pic placeholder and url underneath, but it wont do it again for me.

I notice my router has had trouble connecting to/pinging its secondary Domain Name Server which WAS Telstra Brisbane.

sorry if I have caused you stress over nothing

yahoo

edit: I did notice in the two weeks that I was stuffing about with this your bottom google banner ad and news banner were only working occasionally. Edited by yahoo2 2011-10-29

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024