Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:52 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : AEVA EV Expo Perth

Page 1 of 2    
Trev

Guru

Posted: 03:30am 18 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

AEVA EV Expo, Perth.

A little history first.

Kicked of this year with the 'Fully Charged Live' show in Sydney, as a vehicle exhibitor in the AEVA (Australian Electric Vehicle Association) stand.
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=15&TID=15645

Called it off with Noosa EV Expo and went to RACQ Motorfest instead. Noosa changed the rules (was free) and wanted too much money. They did come down in price, but I still said no. RACQ Motorfest is free. Both events were on the same day.

I did inquire at the Sanctuary Cove boat show (Brisbane), to show some electric outboard motors, but they wanted too much money. No way I could afford that one.

Next event was the AEVA EV Experience in Cleveland (Brisbane)

About an hour down the road after this show I felt power loss. 1 motor failed. I drove it (on the good motor. T-Rev has 2 motors) to a friends place and left it there. Hitched a ride home with my son. Next morning, dumped the EV Boat off the car trailer and hooked up to EV Hilux. Headed back to Brisbane with my other horse and a lead rope!

Loaded T-Rev and headed back home again. Over 4000km in one week. (Of course that's not all electric. My Son bought another Hilux (petrol) and I drove it). We intend to change his older Hilux to Electric.

Charged from both ports wherever possible. 180A to the batteries.

T-Rev all ready to go again, I plan to attempt to make it to Perth for the AEVA EV Expo. https://www.theevexpo.com/

On the Plugshare website, trip planning is a very good function, but it runs out of stop points before I reach the destination, so this map is just with a few key stops for it to show the route. Other charge stations (the stations not filtered out from my settings) showing within a certain distance.

And possible return trip included. But if you are a regular follower, you will know that plans can change.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 07:33am 18 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good luck Trev, seems that there are a few big gaps in the charging infrastructure. Hope you have the range and that they are all working when you get there
Pete

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:52pm 18 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your wishes Pete.

Left home this morning at 5.10am. Speedo reading 33025km. 21 degrees C in our open bedroom window.

Arrived at Bowen charge station at 7.40am. Drove 166km. Used 58%, that's down to 42% remaining.

Bowen charge station is right on the beach. Beautiful park. Good toilet facilities.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 01:32am 19 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cost for charge at Bowen

Arrived at Ayr 10.55am. 64% remaining. 116km.

Loads of people to talk and get pictures. U may be able to spot 3 in this picture.

The day is certainly warming up very much now. It is very dry everywhere.  Badly need rain. It is dry at home too, but not as dry as here in Ayr.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 05:43am 19 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cost to charge at Ayr.

I stopped at a few places on the way. Worth noting is the Burdekin river. I parked near the flood depth indicator. My guess is these numbers are above the bridge. Note how dry it is in the background of the picture.

I then run back onto the bridge.  Can you spot the water

From the end of the bridge back to where I parked T-Rev.

Like they say, drought or flood, fire or ice (like Canberra - ice)

Another one

Arrived at Charters Towers 2.31pm. 44% remaining and drove 164km.

It is a great relief to see the shade.
Had lunch and talked to lots of people.
Also tried to ring RACQ Camooweal, but nobody answered. Apparently have to ring ahead to book a time for charging.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:58am 19 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cost for charging at Charters Towers

I drove mostly at 65kmhr to see what range I could get. Hoping to miss Torrens Creek wall outlet. But it was very tempting to plug in there and stay the night. See the power box on the pole beside the public toilet. This is free power. If I stopped, it would be for the night.

I decided to gat a few more kilometres in for the day. Arrived at Hughenden at 8.20pm. 30% remaining. Drove 251km.

So theoretically, 251km/70%×100%=358km. But I don't think I could go below 10%. The cell voltages will be too low below 10% remaining.

It is dark and not much street light.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 09:50pm 19 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cost to charge at Hughenden.

Camped there the night. Photo'd this morning when it got light enough.

Hardly any traffic on this road. Stopped to photo the sunrise.

Well I have to abandon the trip. I heard a noise starting to develop. Similar to on the Canberra trip. I found a spot to get off the road a few kilometres further down the road. The inner plate of the left motor has separated again. I only did 83km this morning at mostly 65kmhr, thinking I may have to make the distance to Julia Creek (253km). The 3 phase at Richmond may not work or be a available.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 12:58am 20 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry to hear that you have mechanical troubles Trev.
I can't see what the problem is, but obviously it is bad enough that you need to abandon ship.
Will you drive it home, or have to trailer it?
Good luck and hope the fix is easy
Pete

Trev

Guru

Posted: 01:53am 20 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is still drivable but it will kill the motor. I will wait for the trailer.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

greybeard

Posted: 04:39am 20 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So, on the highway, drive an hour @100kmh , charge an hour.
Cheap fill and probably the future but technology still needs to progress before I would consider it for distance travel. Around town with a home charger available I can see it at the moment.
One of the other issues I see is councils and governments are pushing for higher density housing with minimal or no vehicle parking (at least here in Perth) so the lack of charging stations and time to charge still need work.
It'd help if town planning and transport could have the odd chat to each other.

Trev

Guru

Posted: 07:55pm 20 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gray Beard. Yes, the perfect application  is local driving. Charged from your own solar.

Sunrise 5.29am

The trailer is coming today.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:08pm 20 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just was talking with my son. His wife wanted to do some night driving. They will be here soon. He said from Townsville there was a blackout. Told a fair portion of Qld was out of power. He had to wait in Charters Towers for an hour to get the generator online to get fuel.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:13am 21 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Home now.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

greybeard

Posted: 11:50am 21 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

These cheap electric recharges you keep getting are costing your son a fortune in diesel.  

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 02:21pm 21 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glad your home safe Trev, can you do a postmortem on the drive motor? see how it failed and why, hopefully there may be a way to repair and prevent it from happening again.
I checked early Saturday morning and no mention of grid power failures, seems unusual.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:52am 22 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any type of vehicle can (and do at times) breakdown. Prototypes are probably more likely than commercial vehicles, but even commercial vehicles have at times, been recalled. Grey beard, I see the wink. I know you mean no harm. But is is worth mentioning.

I add up electricity for T-Rev, $19.56
Petrol, one way for comparison, $316.
But of course for the rescue operation I paid $505 for petrol.

The post-mortem. Broken bolts.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 03:33am 22 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Trev, glad you found the problem easily.
Are they high tensile bolts?
I guess that there is a lot of torque on the motors, but there seem to be plenty of bolts to hold it together.
Maybe some hardened dowel pegs may help stop that happening again.
Pete

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 12:19am 23 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can sort of see what is likely happening, the drive motor bearing axle end is supported at the (fork) end only, so the vehicle weight at the rear is pushing downwards at each side of the fork, and the wheel in the centre is holding it all up, I see a lot of leverage pulling those bolts between the hub motor and the wheel centre.
Apologies for my vague explanation, but there looks to be a lot of force in that area.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:02am 23 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Aaron, I can understand your 'vague explanation'. It makes perfect sense to me. The wheel sitting on the ground and the vehicle weight is carried by the swing arm. So the swing arm is being pushed down by the weight of the vehicle.
Here is a picture of the 2 motors without the wheel. The picture is from some time ago.

Twice now it has happened on the left motor. Never on the right motor. I have something like 35,000km on it now (without going out to check)

I was talking with a friend who owns a Brake N Auto business. He thinks it could be movement between the steel magnet ring and the big alloy plate. He thinks I should try Locktite 515 instead of sikaflex as the sealant. He also suggest I use dowels.

The motors are designed to be a one sided wheel mounting. They have the wheel studs to bolt on a standard wheel. I think that would load those little bolts (Pete, They are 316 stainless steel) more. Mine is supported to some degree on the other side.

Edited 2023-10-23 20:05 by Trev
Trev @ drivebynature.com

phil99

Guru

Posted: 11:49am 23 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  The motors are designed to be a one sided wheel mounting.

That would suggest each motor has two pre-loaded bearings, with no free-play to prevent wobble.
  Quote   Mine is supported to some degree on the other side.

That could be the problem. With no free-play in the bearings the alignment between the two has to be absolutely perfect to avoid excess stress. A single bearing on each side would allow for normal tolerances.

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024