Home
JAQForum Ver 19.10.27
Active Topics
Local Time 19:50 11 Dec 2019 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Spa Controller

Page 2 of 2    
Tinine

Posted: 05:31pm 01 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  If I am understanding the above circuit correctly, the driver IC is only enabled when the Serial Out (Tx) pin is low and disabled when it is high (plus a short delay caused by the R/C circuit). As it says "a driver is enabled for only an average of half the time required to transmit a word".

If the data was 'FF' Hex, the driver would be only enabled for the START bit and disabled for the rest of the word except for a short pulse at the beginning or the first '1' bit. The RS485 A/B signal lines would be tri-state for every '1' bit transmitted.

Surely this arrangement would be highly susceptible to noise? If it works at all I can't see how it would work reliably - especially over long distances. The board shown in Phil23's first photo is a little more complex.

Not explained above is that the two Schmidt trigger gates in series with the Tx and Rx lines will add a little propagation delay to the signals so that little (if any) of the START and other '0' bits are lost.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Bill

Bill, the way I read it; the TX is only gating itself with the enable.

Not totally sure why the delay is required, TBH...I will read again later.

Tinine

Posted: 05:38pm 01 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FWIW:I always start my transmissions with AA (10101010).

Regards,

Craig

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 10:36am 02 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ended up finding 3 of the Auto switching modules in one of my parts drawers.

Good thing is that I can directly swap one out for the HC-11 that is currently on Com1 of the heat pump controller, and not need to worry about changes to the board to accommodate the DE pin.

Did also find a good data source on the module, including schematic here...

https://protosupplies.com/product/scm-ttl-to-rs-485-interface-module/

Cheers.

Turbo46

Posted: 06:57pm 02 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that Phil23. The circuit is similar to that posted by Tinine but the 27uS delay has been extended out to over 5mS! It looks like a good device, well protected  and documented.

Considering that I bought the MAX485 chip locally for $5.95 the price is good too.

I have used one of these devices on my laptop to talk to RS485 devices using DOS MMBasic. It must use a similar automatic direction control.

Bill
Life wasn't meant to be easy.

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 07:59pm 03 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have the same USB one too.

Found it very useful for monitoring the bus when I was setting up the coms between the MM & the Modbus meters.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2019