Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:35 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 5.05.06 beta

Page 1 of 12    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:35pm 04 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd hoped to avoid starting 5.05.06 but a couple of bugs have been found so...

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/CMM2_Beta.zip

New features:
OPTION ANGLE mode

mode can be DEGREES or RADIANS (default)
This command switches trig functions between degrees and radians. Acts on SIN, COS, TAN, ATN, ATAN2, MATH ATAN3, ACOS, ASIN
This is a temporary option that is cleared to default when programs end, after an error, or after Ctrl-C so should be set at the top of any program that requires to use angles in degrees.

LOAD SPRITE in 12-bit mode
The code now distinguishes between 0 = solid black and space = transparent

ON KEY [ASCIIcode,] interrupt_routine

There is a new optional first parameter for ON KEY. This allows you to associate an interrupt routine with a specific key press. This operates at a low level for both the USB keyboard and a serial console and if activated the key does not get put into the input buffer but merely triggers the interrupt.
On the USB keyboard the "print screen" key generates ASCII code &H94 and the "pause/break" key generates &H95. These keys do not generate escape sequences on a seral console so cannot be used.
This new feature would allow a program to easily implement a save-screen routine by associating the "print screen" key with an interrupt and putting a "save image" command into the interrupt routine. Obviously this is bad practice (long duration command in interrupt routine) and it would be better to just set a flag and do the "save image" in the main program once it sees the flag but for debugging may be OK.
The new command uses a separate interrupt from the simple ON KEY command so can be used at the same time if required.

Improvements:
Changing frequency when using the SOUND command will no longer create a click or pop when the same channel is used for the same type of sound

Bug fixes:
Fixed bug in LOAD SPRITE in 12-bit mode
Fixed bug where pressing F2 in the filemanager when the cursor is on a top line in a sub directory will hang the system.
Edited 2020-09-05 03:37 by matherp

Pilot352

Posted: 06:00pm 04 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got in the practice of putting all the releases on my RAID drive. I'm hoping the RAID will kill all the bugs.  

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 06:05pm 04 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, the keyboard interrupts are going to be VERY useful! Thanks for putting them in.
-Bill

mkopack73

Posted: 06:40pm 04 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Damn Peter! I haven't even had a chance to install 5.05.05 yet!!  

Guess I'll have to install this this weekend...

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 07:33pm 04 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  

Thanks Peter. That's great! Just yesterday I wanted to use the "ON KEY" in that way (I thought I could, my fault). And now I don't even have to ask for it anymore! Can make things easy, I think.

Kind Regards
Michael

chris

Posted: 08:38pm 04 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bug report on 5.05.06b1

If I type

OPTION KEYBOARD REPEAT 350, 25

It works, but now if I switch off the CMM2, and restart, config is lost and it also shows me the "initial config" questions, e.g. Keyboard type, date, time.

RetroJoe

Posted: 09:31pm 04 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I’ve had the spurious  “initial config” thing happen to me on a few occasions, but it’s been with multiple FW versions, so I don’t believe it’s unique to the new beta. Unfortunately, it’s not reproducible. Can someone explain what tells the CMM2 it’s being re-initialized? I’m assuming it’s something that happens within the H7 after you reflash it, or after you short Pin 1 to Pin 40, or ??? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing... :)
Edited 2020-09-05 07:32 by jpusztai
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:44pm 04 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  OPTION KEYBOARD REPEAT 350, 25

It works, but now if I switch off the CMM2, and restart, config is lost

> test rather than >= will fix - use 26 rather than 25

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 02:27am 05 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jpusztai said  I’ve had the spurious  “initial config” thing happen to me on a few occasions, but it’s been with multiple FW versions, so I don’t believe it’s unique to the new beta. Unfortunately, it’s not reproducible. Can someone explain what tells the CMM2 it’s being re-initialized? I’m assuming it’s something that happens within the H7 after you reflash it, or after you short Pin 1 to Pin 40, or ??? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing... :)

I do not know if this will help but right when I got my CMM2 it was randomly losing all config and getting the initial config too. I had it on a powered USB hub and It thought it might be a power issue so I switched it to a dedicated wall charger for a Amazon Kindel and it has never had that issue with every bloody beta and hull version.  I did try it on a PC and had a few issues as well.

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 04:57am 05 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I'd hoped to avoid starting 5.05.06 but a couple of bugs have been found so...

New features:
OPTION ANGLE mode

mode can be DEGREES or RADIANS (default)
This command switches trig functions between degrees and radians. Acts on SIN, COS, TAN, ATN, ATAN2, MATH ATAN3, ACOS, ASIN
This is a temporary option that is cleared to default when programs end, after an error, or after Ctrl-C so should be set at the top of any program that requires to use angles in degrees.

LOAD SPRITE in 12-bit mode
The code now distinguishes between 0 = solid black and space = transparent

There is a new optional first parameter for ON KEY. This allows you to associate an interrupt routine with a specific key press. This operates at a low level for both the USB keyboard and a serial console and if activated the key does not get put into the input buffer but merely triggers the interrupt.
On the USB keyboard the "print screen" key generates ASCII code &H94 and the "pause/break" key generates &H95. These keys do not generate escape sequences on a seral console so cannot be used.
This new feature would allow a program to easily implement a save-screen routine by associating the "print screen" key with an interrupt and putting a "save image" command into the interrupt routine. Obviously this is bad practice (long duration command in interrupt routine) and it would be better to just set a flag and do the "save image" in the main program once it sees the flag but for debugging may be OK.
The new command uses a separate interrupt from the simple ON KEY command so can be used at the same time if required.

Improvements:
Changing frequency when using the SOUND command will no longer create a click or pop when the same channel is used for the same type of sound

Bug fixes:
Fixed bug in LOAD SPRITE in 12-bit mode
Fixed bug where pressing F2 in the filemanager when the cursor is on a top line in a sub directory will hang the system.

Just tested the LOAD SPRITE changes for 12 bit mode (new feature and fix) - it works for me, thanks!

I also tested the new sound improvement in my chirps program. It sounds very good, quite a bit better than the frequency rounding I'd used (in chirps, I can set rfn to zero to test without frequency rounding)

RetroJoe

Posted: 07:30am 05 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said   I had it on a powered USB hub....

Thanks, that’s probably it - I have my CMM2 plugged into a four-port “smart charger” hub too, that’s probably too smart for its own good :)
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 03:44pm 05 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will use the OPTION ANGLE on Wolf3D and the SOUND command improvement will benefit the PSGLIB also. Thanks!

Edit: This firmware showed a HUGE improvement in the sound quality of the PSGDEMO!! Now the Sound Chip simulation has a crystal clear sound as the original chip! This change was so good that I will upload another video on my Youtube channel.
Edited 2020-09-06 01:58 by MauroXavier

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 06:41pm 05 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I'd hoped to avoid starting 5.05.06 but a couple of bugs have been found so...

I don't know if this said enough, but all of your work is really appreciated. We get to play with the Maximite and do fun random stuff because of all of the hard work you put in.

Thank you.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:41pm 05 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pete

Thanks for the kind words. It is really great when a new user reads the documentation and gets stuck in and codes something using the firmware as-is rather than their first posts being change requests and complaints. Your defender program is excellent  

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 05:37am 06 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Pete

Thanks for the kind words. It is really great when a new user reads the documentation and gets stuck in and codes something using the firmware as-is rather than their first posts being change requests and complaints. Your defender program is excellent  

Thank you. But again, I come back to the fact that everything I did is based upon your brilliant work. You have done an amazing thing.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:21am 06 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please find attached V5.05.06b2

This fixes a couple of sneaky bugs

Fixed bug where setting repeat rate to 25 cause options to be reset on next power up
Fixed bugs in search in editor
Possibly something else but I can't think what

Please report any bugs in the 5.05.06 betas in this thread to avoid cluttering up the forum

TweakerRay

Posted: 11:50am 06 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  

I don't know if this said enough, but all of your work is really appreciated. We get to play with the Maximite and do fun random stuff because of all of the hard work you put in.

Thank you.

I can just second that ! Thanks for all the work you put into the firmware and for updating it ! Thank you !
http://tweakerray.bandcamp.com

chris

Posted: 01:50pm 06 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Please find attached V5.05.06b2

This fixes a couple of sneaky bugs

Fixed bug where setting repeat rate to 25 cause options to be reset on next power up
Fixed bugs in search in editor
Possibly something else but I can't think what

Please report any bugs in the 5.05.06 betas in this thread to avoid cluttering up the forum

Thanks for all your hard work.

Sorry if the feedback sounds like complaints. Absolutely appreciate you made something very special.

panky

Guru

Posted: 04:25am 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter,

In the page memory allocations for modes 7,12  7,16 and 8,8 there appears to be a discontinuity between pages 3 and 4 - see the following test program and the output.

for i = 0 to mm.info(max pages)
 print "Page",i,"&H"hex$(mm.info(page address i))
next i
do:loop

' hit ctrl C then set mode and type run

>mode 7,12
>run

Page 0  &H24000000
Page 1  &HD0000000
Page 2  &HD0060000
Page 3  &HD00C0000   ' <-----
Page 4  &HD0180000   ' <-----
Page 5  &HD01E0000
Page 6  &HD0240000
Page 7  &HD02A0000
Page 8  &HD0300000

You will notice that memory allocated for pages 1, 2 and 3 are &H60000 then there is a jump to page 4 of &HC0000 (it's as if there was a page allocation skipped?)

The same is true for modes 7,16 and 8,8 - all other allocations in all modes appear to be contiguous blocks.

Doug.
Edited 2020-09-07 14:30 by panky
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:26am 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks - The memory allocation algorithm was never originally designed for a page size of 384K (all pages are a multiple of 128K) so needs a minor update

Page 1 of 12    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024