Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:44 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Quest for a TUI Library

Page 1 of 2    
gevik

Posted: 10:04pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please only discuss the TUI library in this thread

In my quest for creating a TUI library for CMM2. I have started by hacking a simple
screen using MMBasic to explore the screen, BLIT, and font capabilities. It looks like visually we can have a TUI library :)

But before I can start developing such framework I need to explore the following areas among other things:

[1] Is is possible to move and hold the cursor to a given location on screen?

[2] Is is possible to type (write) with a cursor having a for/background color?

[3] Is it in MMBasic possible to pass a Function/SUB as an argument for another Function/SUB, then being able to execute that argument within the parent Function/SUB?

[4] Possibility for having virtual pages, so we can have the functionality to open and close (multiple) windows.

[5] Possibility to write the basic TUI routines in a CSUB

I am open for ideas.

elk1984

Posted: 10:45pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm sure you've seen already, but in case you haven't there's some parallel TUI chat here:

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=9851

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 11:13pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  I'm sure you've seen already, but in case you haven't there's some parallel TUI chat here:

(Do the URL link twice and it works. That is past click then past again and click.)

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:34pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

gevik said  [1] Is is possible to move and hold the cursor to a given location on screen?

[2] Is is possible to type (write) with a cursor having a for/background color?

[3] Is it in MMBasic possible to pass a Function/SUB as an argument for another Function/SUB, then being able to execute that argument within the parent Function/SUB?

[4] Possibility for having virtual pages, so we can have the functionality to open and close (multiple) windows.

[5] Possibility to write the basic TUI routines in a CSUB

[1] Recently posted (for character position x & y): PRINT@( (MM.INFO(FONTWIDTH)*x%),(MM.INFO(FONTHEIGHT)*y%) )"";
[2] If the cursor is, for instance, a blinking underline ("_"), then yes.
[3]: like this?

? fun1(fun2(),7),fun1(fun3(),9)
function fun1(i%,j%) as integer
  fun1=i%*j%
end function
function fun2() as integer
  fun2=11
end function
function fun3() as integer
  fun3=13
end function

In MMBasic DOS, output is " 77      117"

[4] Not sure what is meant. Multiple windows should be possible.
[5] Don't know why not. Or in MMBasic.

~
Edited 2020-09-22 09:43 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:38am 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

3. yes - but only on the CMM2: pass the function name as a string and then use the EVALUATE (FUNCTION) or EXECUTE (SUB) commands in the receiving function. You will have to build up any parameter list as part of the string before executing EVALUATE or EXECUTE
Edited 2020-09-22 17:39 by matherp

gevik

Posted: 02:28pm 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  3. yes - but only on the CMM2: pass the function name as a string and then use the EVALUATE (FUNCTION) or EXECUTE (SUB) commands in the receiving function. You will have to build up any parameter list as part of the string before executing EVALUATE or EXECUTE

Thank you. This could serve as a callback handler for button and list like components

elk1984

Posted: 04:51pm 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

gevik said  
  matherp said  3. yes - but only on the CMM2: pass the function name as a string and then use the EVALUATE (FUNCTION) or EXECUTE (SUB) commands in the receiving function. You will have to build up any parameter list as part of the string before executing EVALUATE or EXECUTE

Thank you. This could serve as a callback handler for button and list like components

Hi, how are you modelling the data structures (dare I say "classes" ) to describe the elements in the TUI? (Apologies if this is off topic)

gevik

Posted: 05:57pm 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  
Hi, how are you modelling the data structures (dare I say "classes" ) to describe the elements in the TUI? (Apologies if this is off topic)

I am still experimenting with that part. We don't have anything that could resemble a class. I am thinking about defining the UI objects with some kind of a data structure.
Since we don't have a C like "typedef struct", I think I have to make use of Arrays.

We also don't have event emitting and event handling mechanisms, which makes things even more challenging. A long time ago in Win16 API days (and not so long ago in Cocoa Objective-C days) we had an application loop which you used to handle all kinds of UI events. Perhaps a similar concept could work here. I am still experimenting :)

elk1984

Posted: 06:12pm 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

gevik said  
  elk1984 said  

I am still experimenting with that part. We don't have anything that could resemble a class. I am thinking about defining the UI objects with some kind of a data structure.
Since we don't have a C like "typedef struct", I think I have to make use of Arrays.

We also don't have event emitting and event handling mechanisms, which makes things even more challenging. A long time ago in Win16 API days (and not so long ago in Cocoa Objective-C days) we had an application loop which you used to handle all kinds of UI events. Perhaps a similar concept could work here. I am still experimenting :)

I've been pondering a similar problem for other apps. A control loop is fine (I handle all my key presses in a sub to keep the main loop clean), but I've drawn a blank with any kind of structured type. I'll start another thread now to keep this one on topic...

gevik

Posted: 07:27pm 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  
  gevik said  
  elk1984 said  

I've been pondering a similar problem for other apps. A control loop is fine (I handle all my key presses in a sub to keep the main loop clean), but I've drawn a blank with any kind of structured type. I'll start another thread now to keep this one on topic...

I just found this thread: https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12813&PID=155458#155458

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:06pm 31 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

gevik said   . . . my quest for creating a TUI library for CMM2

Any further progress along this avenue?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

gevik

Posted: 01:10pm 31 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  gevik said   . . . my quest for creating a TUI library for CMM2

Any further progress along this avenue?

At the moment I am experimenting to find a usable library design because of MMBasic's limitations for arrays and (non existing) object map functions. I am aiming for an API that is usables.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:22pm 31 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

gevik said  At the moment I am experimenting to find a usable library design because of MMBasic's limitations for arrays and (non existing) object map functions. I am aiming for an API that is usables.

Care to elaborate?

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 05:28pm 31 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In my random thoughts while away from my PC, I envisioned a TUI that is a combination of the old VB for DOS mixed with a system I used with Python. I think some limitations can be overcome, but since this BASIC isn't event-driven there would need to be a template for the event loop that the programmer would follow.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Barbiani

Posted: 10:53pm 03 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can this help? Maybe compiled as cfunction.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:47pm 05 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Barbiani said  Can this help? Maybe compiled as cfunction.

It outputs VT100 (or similar) Escape codes so how would it?

John

lizby
Guru

Posted: 07:08pm 05 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  

John

My thought is that it would make little sense on the CMM2 to write debugging text to the terminal, so the way to do it would be to output VT100 codes to a PC running Teraterm or puTTY or some other VT100 emulator. But it still depends on there being hooks in MMBasic.

Same is true for other MMBasic implementions--debugging code might best be sent via serial to another device.

Barbiani

Posted: 07:10pm 05 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Replacing its output functions with mmbasic calls.

The built in editor can do both uart and vga.

Vgaconio could do the same?

lizby
Guru

Posted: 07:46pm 05 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Something like this:

Using flip's framework from here: https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=9851

~
Edited 2020-11-06 05:49 by lizby

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:12pm 05 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  JohnS said  

John

My thought is that it would make little sense on the CMM2 to write debugging text to the terminal, so the way to do it would be to output VT100 codes to a PC running Teraterm or puTTY or some other VT100 emulator. But it still depends on there being hooks in MMBasic.

Same is true for other MMBasic implementions--debugging code might best be sent via serial to another device.

Oh, OK, but that doesn't seem to fit with the reason stated in the original post for this thread.

Doing it the way you mentioned doesn't need anything but some MMBasic code, as some have already done, I think.

John

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024