Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:06 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 Floppy Drive, Is it possible?

Page 1 of 3    
Kingeorg

Posted: 11:27pm 27 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello.
I am brand new to the world of Color Maximite 2, but I'd like to know if it's possible to connect a Floppy Drive to the Color Maximite 2 to add the perfect touch of "age" I think it needs (Besides, I have hundreds of floppy disks that are sitting around).
Can I connect it directly to the 40pin with a ribbon? (I noticed that the floppy ribbons are smaller...) Is it even feasible?
Thank you for your help in advance.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:25am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Short answer - No.

Long answer:
If you had a USB floppy drive you might be able to find a version of the HobbyTronics host board that can talk to it.
The HobbyTronics firmware does support USB flash drives so that's part way there.
There are a few USB host devices out there so you might have a long search.
Look for something for Arduino or RPi.

Much easier to transfer the floppy data onto SDcards.

You certainly can't plug the floppy drive into the expansion port.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:19am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello and welcome.

I concur with Jim.
I'm not saying it is impossible, but it is pretty much the next thing to impossible.

You might have more luck using a CMM2 to build a floppy-drive music machine like this one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGfkPCZYfFw[/YRL]

These are clever!

But back to your original question - no, I don't ever see that happening.
The SD-card interface is also not broken out to the I/O connectors, so there is no way to interface with the filesystem on the CMM2 via the I/O connector anyway - it is all done via the SD card which is fixed, so I don't like your chances.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:20am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GIZMO: Can't edit the link mistake above.  Every time I try, I get the following error:

Quote  Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 47645104 bytes) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot2\TheBackShed\forum\includes\FormatPost.php on line 306

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:36am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep, I can see that error message to. Makes no sense, its smaller than posts I can edit.

Put the corrected link below Grogster.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 02:39am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can find SPI-driven IDE drive adapter projects, even older formats as well. So I guess the spi pins could be used. The projects generally use atmega and assembler, so I guess it could be done but with a large effort.

(caveat - I don't use Maximites/MMBasic/etc)

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:39am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are hidden escape sequences in one of those links.

[/YRL]

These hidden escape sequences are causing all sorts of issues lately.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Kingeorg

Posted: 02:47am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, you are all awesome. I didn't think I was going to receive so many responses.
If it's so complicated I'll definitely pass, but I will put more effort in understanding and learning what I CAN do with it instead.
Thanks everyone...

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:27am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

one could always go for an fdd attached via the serial port:
http://cowlark.com/fluxengine/doc/disk-fb100.html

a while ago i did look into an SD card attached to an MX170 micromite via the serial port, for which the hardware already exists - an atmel 328p handles the translations. but there was little interest in developing the idea.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 05:30am 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My old 8-bit 1MHz Signetics 2650 had dual floppies way back when. So I'm sure it's possible - all it needs is time, dedication and skill. I might have the time but I lack the other two.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Kingeorg

Posted: 06:39pm 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I don't have the skills nor the time, I just thought it would be interesting to try, but I didn't want to break anything either.
Thank you to all for the time.
P.S: Let me know if someone somewhere achieves this though.

George H

Posted: 07:06pm 28 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd be more interested in interfacing an IDE HD drive...

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 06:55pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Look at Ebay to find a WD1771 chip to control your floppy interface.
Connect it to the 40pin connector.

From there at can all be done in basic.

Totally useless, but ha...it is fun...
Watching TV is also useless.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Kingeorg

Posted: 07:53pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Really? All I can find when I search "WD1771 chip" is an Allen Bradley... Thing?
Honestly I wouldn't know what to do with this, unless it was something I could connect directly to an old FDD or a newer USB FDD...

RetroJoe

Posted: 09:08pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While we are on the topic of obsolete storage technology, I always thought it would be cool to interface one of those old core memory modules you see on Ebay from time to time, like this one
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:16pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Kingeorg said  Really? All I can find when I search "WD1771 chip" is an Allen Bradley... Thing?
Honestly I wouldn't know what to do with this, unless it was something I could connect directly to an old FDD or a newer USB FDD...

Try googling FD1771
It won't get you very far.
Reading the floppy is only the first step. Then you have to work out the storage system and how to de-cypher it.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Kingeorg

Posted: 10:17pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Jim, I'll try to do some research, but I can tell the whole thing (currently) surpasses my skills. Thank you nevertheless.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:28pm 29 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm pretty sure that's the chip my 2650 system used. The circuit and operating system was designed by two fellows in Canberra. I built it using wire-wrap, sorry I have no more information - it was almost 40 years ago!

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

RetroJoe

Posted: 01:24am 30 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It’s way beyond my skill level too, but I think a CMM2 floppy controller would need to channel the spirit of Steve Wozniak. People think that the Apple Ii computer “made” Apple... but it was actually the “Disk ][“ drive and Woz’s ultra-clever controller design. Because of his ingenuity, the controller had a very low part count and very high profit margins, fueling Apple with tons of cash for R&D, and transforming the Apple ][ from a novelty to a serious business machine. Most floppy drives of that era did everything in hardware (the C64 disk drive even has its own 6502 CPU!), whereas Woz’s design did most of its stuff in software. Fascinating story here
Edited 2020-12-30 11:26 by RetroJoe
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 03:24am 30 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RetroJoe said  but it was actually the “Disk ][“ drive and Woz’s ultra-clever controller design

No doubt Woz's wizardry was instrumental in Apple's early success, but Visicalc, the first killer app, may have been just as significant.

=========
A FDC37C78-HT Floppy Disc Controller chip might be another option. Available, although kinda spendy.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024