Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:44 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : tft screen for micromite

Page 1 of 2    
Dudulle

Posted: 09:57pm 14 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone, I'm Olivier from France

I apologize for the quality of my question, I am not very good in English.
I bought a micromite + explore 100 TFT and I would like to add a screen. Is this one suitable?

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/5-inch-TFT-LCD-Display-Module-800x480-w-SSD1963-Resistive-Touch-Panel-Tutorial/301050485199

Do I just have to sold connectors on it, and plug it on the mricomite card ?

Thanks in advance

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 10:30pm 14 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the screen I have used... It is available from many different sources...

I found This one on E-bay also...

I didn't get this one from E-bay but since you were looking on that source (E-bay), I think this one looks just like the one I am currently using... I just ordered 2 more of them... This time I got them from Amazon...

I will let others here make sure this is a good source... (just to make sure)..  

I hope this helps...

panky

Guru

Posted: 11:05pm 14 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Olivier,

Welcome to the forum.  The link you provided  shows a 5" TFT that is exactly the same as one I have that is connected to an Explore 100 and it works well. On the back you will find an area labeled Backlight Control. You should move the zero Ohm jumper from LED_A to 1963_PWM as this will then allow you to use the MMBasic command BACKLIGHT to vary the brightness.

My screen came with the connectors already soldered as shown in the the picture.
Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Dudulle

Posted: 07:04am 15 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your responses, some others questions will follow ;)

Dudulle

Posted: 07:33pm 18 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi again

Here's my new probleme : I can't find a drivers to use my micromite with tera term.
Anyone can tell me where I can find it ? (I have W7)
Edited 2021-03-19 05:38 by Dudulle

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:07pm 18 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The driver will depend on the version of the board.
The later boards use a Microchip USB-TTL chip and that driver is available here:
https://geoffg.net/Downloads/Microbridge/MCP2221%20Windows%20Driver%202014-10-09.zip

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Dudulle

Posted: 10:25pm 18 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, it's work

Dudulle

Posted: 09:40pm 22 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello again, I didn't try to do a real connexion with tera term since my last message, but it seems that it does not work. Is the usb port enough to power the card, or is it necessary an additional power supply ?

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 09:52pm 22 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Look at the documentation... There is a jumper you need to install before the USB Vbus is allowed to run the E100 board...

It's located next to the USB connector...  

Dudulle

Posted: 06:24pm 23 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks but jumper was already connected.
It's not working with tera term, but it seems ok with putty...

Dudulle

Posted: 09:40pm 05 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi everyone

I finally received my screen, but when I feed my maximite with usb nothing is displayed. Jumper JP1 is in good position.
Can you tell me where is the problem ?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:02pm 05 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bonjour.

It is NOT advised to run the E100 WITH LCD FITTED, if you are using only USB power, as the USB port often cannot supply the current that the LCD wants to suck, and you can have issues.

Once you fit a screen, you should use an external 5v REGULATED power-pack/wall-wart capable of supplying AT LEAST one-amp of continuous current.

REMOVE the solder-blob on J1, and use a power-pack plugged into CON1.

That done, you will need to configure the E100 to use the LCD screen.  Please see THIS THREAD for the common setup commands.

You will also need to calibrate the touch using GUI CALIBRATE before you can use the touch-screen feature.

Do you have BOTH manuals?  The standard one, and the advanced one?
The standard one covers all the 28-pin and 44-pin micromite commands, and the advanced one covers all the GUI controls on the MM+ series of chips.  You need both manuals, as the E100 board is backwards compatible with all the 28-pin and 44-pin commands, and they are NOT repeated in the advanced manual.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Dudulle

Posted: 05:08pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster

thanks for your response

I havn't any manuals.
when I connect the screen it seems it take no more current : I have a small USB powermeter, and this one stays at 50mA with or without screen. Voltage stay at 5.08V.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 09:55pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Oliver...Download the manuals from the bottom of this page  here

and Geoff's main page  here
and Explore 100   here
Edited 2021-04-07 07:57 by palcal
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 10:43pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just measured the E-100 with 5" screen set to auto run a program and seems to draw 480ma from the USB port...   I did the dev work with a laptop and seemed to go ok...

Dudulle

Posted: 08:10pm 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you so much for your help, everything is working properly (it works better with manuals)
I can use my micromite with tft and keyboard like a mini computer.
Now I would like to solder a connector with ribbon cable and screw terminals on CON8.
Any tips ?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:38am 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dudulle said  Hi Grogster

thanks for your response

I havn't any manuals.
when I connect the screen it seems it take no more current : I have a small USB powermeter, and this one stays at 50mA with or without screen. Voltage stay at 5.08V.

Other members have pointed you to the manuals now, so I will skip that bit.

The LCD screen will take practically no current when first powered, but when the E100 initializes it at switch on, THAT is the point where it starts to suck serious current.  If not configured, the LCD will never initialize, and so essentially no more current is sucked then without the LCD.  But once you tell the E100 that the LCD is there, and it initializes it at the next power up....  

480mA as mentioned by one other member once up and running.  The actual current will depend on the setting of the backlight intensity.  But 500mA or so can often be more then a USB port is willing to give you - especially on laptops, where power is important, and devices usually have to request the higher output current - and the E100 does not(and cannot) do that, so you are usually limited to about 100mA from memory.  This means you could have brown-out effects trying to run an E100 board and LCD that will want about 500mA, and the USB port won't give it more then 100mA.  

Also, lots of USB cables are rubbish, so make sure you get a good quality one from your local electronics shop, and PAY THE EXTRA for the better quality.  The cheap eBay USB cables cause heaps of issues with voltage-drop as the wires they build them with are very thin and can't carry the higher current.  We had lots of people here having issues with their E100's + LCD, and many of them were traced to crappy USB cables.

You're now using an external DC power-pack, aren't you?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

palcal

Guru

Posted: 07:41am 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As for the connector have a look for a 40 pin IDC connector. (insulation displacement connector). The ribbon cable is placed in the connector and it is clamped shut to make the connections, then the connector just plugs onto the board. The other end of the cable can then be terminated onto a breadboard for example.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Dudulle

Posted: 08:31pm 09 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone and thanks for your help

I havn't an external DC power, but I'm using a powerbank, who can provide 2A, and it's fine.

Here' my new problem, how can I configure SD card ?

I tried OPTION SD CARD , 1, but micromite only answer "Error : SD card not found" when I try to access.

With TFt touch manual say : "OPTION TOUCH T_CS pin, T_IRQ pin [, click pin]" but I don't understand which pin to choose...

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 09:09pm 09 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oliver, Please look at Grogster's link again. I think it explains it all.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024