Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:25 16 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Collected and updated info about wifi and CMM2

Page 1 of 2    
grinoir

Posted: 06:01am 08 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
I can see, that several of you have been using the CMM2 for connecting to BBSs using ex. an ESP-01.
Can you point me to a post or site that explains this process?
Thanks

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 02:40pm 08 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the thread I started on the issue.

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=14064

You have to use (for now) a custom AT firmware in the ESP-01 to use the Maxiterm that has been developed here.  I am trying to find a link to it.

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=14005&PID=173964#173964

Good luck.  I have yet reflashed my ESP-01 to the custom one.

frnno967

Posted: 03:37pm 08 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The firmware that I've used most with Maxiterm is Bo Zimmerman's Zimodem firmware. If you Google search for Zimodem you'll get to his GitHub easily and can download it from there. It works well and reacts just like a traditional Hayes modem would, and you can flash it into the ESP-01 using the Arduino IDE. The main drawbacks of that firmware are that it's really only designed for Telnet connections, and seems to have some bugs in the code that cause problems for file transfers. But for casual BBS uses it's good and very easy to use (ex just type ATDT hostname and go).

The Espressif AT firmware is much more powerful and flexible, but it's not easy to use because it requires many commands to setup and shut down each connection, but it does support a variety of TCP/UDP connections and can handle raw piping of data streams. This firmware works great with file transfers but will be frustrating to use for casual users used to Hayes modem syntax. Also, the Espressif AT firmware is specific to each model of ESP, so it can be frustrating just to find the correct version that matches your ram, cpu, and features of the ESP module. Sometimes it requires compilation as well. In Maxiterm 2.0 I'm thinking of coding in support for both types of firmware to make it easier for the user, but this will require the user to use the autodialer to connect to the remote system. Datawiz's esplib-8266 throwback terminal on here (search the forum) implements Espressif AT support, but lacks ANSI color and file transfers and other features.
Jay Crutti: Ham Radio Operator, K5JCJ. Computer Enthusiast. Musician. Engineer.

grinoir

Posted: 03:53pm 08 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for this!
What about the hardware side? How to connect the esp-01?

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:00pm 08 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This module makes it easy to connect an ESP-01 to the CMM2 2x20 expansion pins with flying wires. Just connect 5V (module has onboard regulator), 0V, Tx and Rx.

Some models later than the original CMM2 have built-in sockets for the ESP-01.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 08:56pm 08 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

grinoir said  Thanks for this!
What about the hardware side? How to connect the esp-01?

I just soldered a 6-pin female header onto the CMM2 board and now I can plug in an ESP-01. If you order the CMMs 2nd Gen from PS Labs in Poland, the header socket is already on the board.

grinoir

Posted: 06:02pm 09 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Could any of the two solutions be installed on the inside? Do you have any picture of the setup?
Thanks

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:38pm 09 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

grinoir said  Could any of the two solutions be installed on the inside?

Not so easily, I think, for the original CMM2, though if you want to solder wires directly to the 2x20 header insider the case, all 4 are side by side and on top, so they're accessible.

grinoir said  Do you have any picture of the setup?

CMM2 with ESP-01 module:

~
Edited 2021-09-10 04:41 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

grinoir

Posted: 11:21pm 12 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks lizby, that seems like easy enough. What is the other module you have connected?

toml_12953 do you have a photo of your solution?

I would really like to use my CMM2 ver. 1 (or ver 1 1/2: looks like ver. 2 inside but without the new connections. I got a ESP-01 here, so a "clean" solution without extra boards would be my preference if possible.

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 12:23am 13 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

grinoir said  Thanks lizby, that seems like easy enough. What is the other module you have connected?

toml_12953 do you have a photo of your solution?

I would really like to use my CMM2 ver. 1 (or ver 1 1/2: looks like ver. 2 inside but without the new connections. I got a ESP-01 here, so a "clean" solution without extra boards would be my preference if possible.

Here it is:

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:04am 13 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

grinoir said  What is the other module you have connected?

PS2 socket module for mouse

grinoir

Posted: 03:35pm 13 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Toml is it the st link place you used? I dont see any other connections on my board

grinoir

Posted: 03:35pm 13 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Toml is it the st link place you used? I dont see any other connections on my board

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:49pm 13 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is mounted on a CMM2 2nd Gen from PS Labs in Poland. The connector (or even pads for one) isn't fitted to most versions of the CMM2 so the ESP can't be mounted inside the case - unless you are prepared to do a lot of messing about...
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

grinoir

Posted: 11:27pm 13 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You are of cause right Mixtel90. I was confused. No internal installation for me then.

Lisby, I stroke luck: I had the adapter module for the ESP-01, so now it is connected as your photo shows. However I do belive, that I need to flash new software on to the ESP-01? Can you show me in the right direction there?

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 11:42pm 13 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  That is mounted on a CMM2 2nd Gen from PS Labs in Poland. The connector (or even pads for one) isn't fitted to most versions of the CMM2 so the ESP can't be mounted inside the case - unless you are prepared to do a lot of messing about...

The pic I posted was from a unit bought from a New Zealand dealer. It doesn't include the socket but does include the pads for it so I soldered in my own.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:47am 14 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

grinoir said  I had the adapter module for the ESP-01, so now it is connected as your photo shows. However I do belive, that I need to flash new software on to the ESP-01? Can you show me in the right direction there?

It depends on what you wish to do. MatherP's HTML server, MM2: webserver with AT mode ESP8266, will probably work with any not-truly-ancient ESP-01 with stock firmware.

Here's a thread on Updating ESP-01 AT firmware

This provides a link to flashing esp-link

Jirsoft has custom esp firmware for Napoleon Commander for CMM2 linked somewhere in this thread.

I think frnno967 has custom firmware for a BBS client.

Annex RDS provides ESP8266 and ESP32 firmware which a 'mite can use for many wifi functions: https://cicciocb.com/

grinoir

Posted: 09:14pm 14 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi again,

More luck but not quite. I apparently had and NODEMCU in my drawer:-)
Using the guide by Jay Crutti https://www.jaycrutti.com/hardware-projects/homebrew-wifi-modem-for-cmm2 i uploaded the firmware, connected the NODEMCU and ran the program.
So far so good.

However using the default 115200 default BPS I got this error.

The "error code" don't look like the usual "wrong BPS-code" but I of cause tested all the options to no luck.

Any ideas?

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 06:19am 15 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
for me it looks like error from ESP firmware. Maybe HW watchdog or low voltage + reset? How did you program the ESP? It's running OK without connecting to the CMM2?
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

frnno967

Posted: 05:43am 16 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

grinoir said  However using the default 115200 default BPS I got this error.

I recall seeing an issue ticket opened on the Zimodem GitHub that there may be a bug in the recent esp libraries so you might need to install a specific version of those. Or it could be a misconfigured board profile when you uploaded using Arduino IDE like incorrect ram or similar setting.

-jay
Jay Crutti: Ham Radio Operator, K5JCJ. Computer Enthusiast. Musician. Engineer.

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024