Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:28 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : VGAMite V5.07.00 alpha releases

Page 1 of 5    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:46pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please find attached the first alpha release of the VGAMite based on the STM32F411 "Blackpill"

411VGAV5.07.00a0.zip

This supports a full implmentation of MMBasic and the usual peripherals and I/O

Current status is as follows:

VGA output and MMBasic operation including editor - tested
VGA support is 640x480 @ 60Hz using a 25.175MHz pixel clock
Font is currently 8x12 pixels giving 80 characters across with 40 lines

SDcard support - tested
I2C and I2C2 - tested
SPI and SPI2 - tested (NB: SPI2 not available if SDcard enabled)
PS2 keyboard - tested
XModem support including transfer to and from SDcard - tested
COM1 and COM2 - tested
TEMPR command and function - tested

SETPIN DIN, DOUT, AIN - tested but not every pin

SETPIN FIN, CIN, PER - implemented but untested
IR, PULSE, PULSEIN, KEYPAD, LCD, DISTANCE, PORT, HUMID - implemented but untested
MATH routines as per CMM2 - implemented but untested

Graphics commands, variable font support - to be implemented

Flash support, GPS support and background ADC support TBD

WS2812 support cannot be implemented due to timing conflicts with the VGA output

NB: THis is an alpha release. Although functionality has been tested where stated it has not been regression tested as new functionality was added so expect bugs

Pinout
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_12, DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 1 KEYBOARD_DATA
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_13, DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 2 SPI_CLK
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_14, DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 3 SPI_IN
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_15, DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},       // pin 4 SPI_OUT
{ NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},       // pin 5 A8: VGA_HSYNCH
{ NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},       // pin 6 A9: CONSOLE_TX
{ NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},       // pin 7 A10: CONSOLE_RX
   { GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_11,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 8 COM2_TX
{ GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_12,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},       // pin 9 COM2_RX
{ NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},     // pin 10 A15: VGA_VSYNCH
{ GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_3,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 11 I2C2_SDA
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_4,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 12 PWM1A
   {  NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},     // pin 13 B5: VGA_OUTPUT
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_6,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 14 PWM2A
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_7,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 15 PWM2B
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_8,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 16 I2C_SCL
{ GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_9,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 17 I2C_SDA
   { NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 18 5V
   { NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 19 GND
   { NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 20 3V3

{ NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 21 VBAT
{ GPIOC,  GPIO_PIN_13,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 22 GREN LED
   { NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 23 C14: OSC32_IN
   { NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 24 C15: OSC32_OUT
   { NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 25 RESET
{ GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_0,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_0},     // pin 26 KEY/WAKEUP/COUNT/IR
   { GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_1,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_1},     // pin 27 COUNT
{ GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_2,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_2},     // pin 28 COM1_TX
{ GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_3,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_3},     // pin 29 COM1_RX
   { GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_4,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_4}, // pin 30
   { GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_5,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_5}, // pin 31 SPI2_CLK/SD_CLK
   { GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_6,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_6}, // pin 32 SPI2_IN/SD_IN
   { GPIOA,  GPIO_PIN_7,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_7}, // pin 33 SPI2_OUT/SD_OUT
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_0,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_8},     // pin 34 PWM1B
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_1,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT | ANALOG_IN , ADC_CHANNEL_9},     // pin 35 PWM1C
   { GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_2,  DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 36 KEYBOARD_CLOCK
{ GPIOB,  GPIO_PIN_10, DIGITAL_IN | DIGITAL_OUT , 0},     // pin 37 I2C2_SCL
{ NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 38 3V3
   { NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 39 GND
{ NULL,  0, PUNUSED , 0},                                                       // pin 40 5V

To enable the SDcard connect the SPI pins to PA5,PA6, and PA7. Then issue
OPTION SDCARD pinno

where pinno is the pin connected to the CS pin of the SDcard or DISABLE

To enable the PS2 keyboard use
OPTION KEYBOARD type

Type can be one of US, UK, GR, IT, BE, FR, ES, or DISABLE (default)

Note in all case pin numbers can be either the number on the module (1-40) or the pin designation e.g. PB10. The pin numbering of the module should be obvious from the table above.

To connect the VGA connect VGA pins 5,6,7,8,9,and 10 to GND. Connect VGA pin 13 to PA8. Connect VGA pin 14 to PA15. Connect VGA pin 2 to PB5 using a 120ohm resistor. Also Connect VGA pin 2 to the anode of a 1n4148 diode with the cathode of the diode (the bar end) connected to GND.

You will need to connect a USB/UART such as the microbridge to the console pins to configure the VGAMite for keyboard use: USB/UART TX connects to PA10, USB/UART RX connects to PA9. Don't forget to also connect the GNDs

PS2 Keyboard data pin connects to PB12
PS2 Clock pin connects to PB2
Both PS2 pins are 5V compatible so connect the keyboard power to 5V and GND to GND
Both the PS2 clock and data pins MUST be pulled up to 5V with external 4K7 resistors

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 05:15pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice!

Just a thought... The original Mono MaxiMite and Color MaxiMite had the ability to disable the VGA and just use the serial console.  The display memory was then available to create larger user programs which did not need graphics.   Could that Option be used here to allow WS2812 support?
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:21pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Just a thought... The original Mono MaxiMite and Color MaxiMite had the ability to disable the VGA and just use the serial console.  The display memory was then available to create larger user programs which did not need graphics.   Could that Option be used here to allow WS2812 support?

No: If you want that combination use a different port e.g. a PicoMite

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:25pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wouldn't the timing conflict rule that (WS2812) out?

John

cdeagle

Posted: 05:57pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How do you program this board? Thanks

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:21pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cdeagle said  How do you program this board? Thanks

I assume it'll be using CubeIDE (like the CMM2) and a ST-LINK programmer. Only a guess.
Edited 2021-11-28 04:24 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:34pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  How do you program this board? Thanks

Hold down the boot0 switch and plug in a USB cable connected to a PC. Then follow the CMM2 instructions for downloading over USB

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 06:39pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Flash support, GPS support and background ADC support TBD

Should we get the 8MB flash version?

Thanks
Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:06pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter. :)
Mick

cdeagle

Posted: 07:52pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter. Now I remember that procedure.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:43pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Should we get the 8MB flash version?

Probably no. Can always be added but SDcard is better

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:02pm 27 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The /CS for the onboard flash chip is on A4 (ADC4) so if there is one fitted and it's not going to be used it might be an idea to set that pin to output high (or it could be set as an input with a pull-up resistor) to disable it. Letting it float would not be a good idea.
Mick

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 05:17am 28 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  SPI and SPI2 - tested (NB: SPI2 not available if SDcard enabled)

It looks like the onboard Flash chip is wired to what is now SPI2. Is there any merit to swapping the pins for SPI and SPI2 so that the onboard Flash could be used from MMBasic when the SDCard is enabled.
Latest F4 Latest H7

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 06:11am 28 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

disco4now said  
  matherp said  SPI and SPI2 - tested (NB: SPI2 not available if SDcard enabled)

It looks like the onboard Flash chip is wired to what is now SPI2. Is there any merit to swapping the pins for SPI and SPI2 so that the onboard Flash could be used from MMBasic when the SDCard is enabled.

The onboard flash appears to use PB4 for MISO just to make life interesting.
I haven't tried to connect a SDcard yet so don't know if having the flash onboard will be a problem.

This is the V2 circuit.

There is a reference to PA6 but nothing in English...
I will have to do some tracing the hard way.

Jim

Edit: I did an on line translation:

'MISO pin is changed from PA6 to PB4, which is convenient for STM32F411 users to connect TF card and FLASH at the same time'
Edited 2021-11-28 16:17 by TassyJim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:30am 28 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Strange. Using a different MISO pin would certainly prevent a data clash on read if both were enabled together, but writes could probably corrupt either the SD or the flash or both. I could understand having different /CS pins - that makes sense to me. :)

From Zephyr:
  Quote  Note on SPI pin mapping: According to the board release notes 1, there was a brief change for V2.0 specifically where MISO was routed to PB4 for the flash footprint. This was reverted for V2.1+ so that the flash DO pin was routed back to PA6. If using V2.0 and en external flash, the pinmux will need to be modified accordingly.

I think most available boards are ver 3.0 now, so flash MISO is probably on PA6. That would appear to clobber using PA4 as SD_/CS if a flash chip is fitted. That doesn't matter because OPTION SDCARD sets the SD_/CS pin. Just don't use PA4 and it doesn't matter if a flash chip is fitted or not. Simples!
Edited 2021-11-28 18:09 by Mixtel90
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:03am 28 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  he /CS for the onboard flash chip is on A4 (ADC4) so if there is one fitted and it's not going to be used it might be an idea to set that pin to output high (or it could be set as an input with a pull-up resistor) to disable it. Letting it float would not be a good idea.

Good point: I'll set PA4 as an input with a pullup by default if not in use for SDcard.

Quote  I think most available boards are ver 3.0 now, so flash MISO is probably on PA6.

Assuming this is the case I will only be supporting MISO on PA6. Changing to PB4 would have multiple knock-on effects. Certainly my board which is a V3.0 clone uses PA6.

Is there any merit to swapping the pins for SPI and SPI2 so that the onboard Flash could be used from MMBasic when the SDCard is enabled.

I will be including some level of flash support in the firmware in a way that can co-exist with SDcard support so no change is necessary. This won't be a full file system but perhaps something like the PicoMite but extended to allow user read/write/erase as well
Edited 2021-11-28 19:05 by matherp

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 09:04am 28 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looks like only moved to PB4 on Version 2.0 boards. Moved back to PA6 at V2.1 and seems that it has not changed since. I don't have a board as yet so can't check it physically.

From the Release Notes

V2.1
SDIO is not commonly used, restore Flash pin: Flash MISO pin changed from PB4 to PA6,The look is consistent with V2.0.

Latest F4 Latest H7

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:07pm 28 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

411VGAV5.07.00a1.zip

Drawing commands now working, colopurs are 0=black, non-zero=green(depending on which VGA pin you wire)
CAPS/NUM lock leds now working for PS2 keyboard
OPTION DEFAULT FONT fontnum [,scale]' sets the font used as the default. The fonts are the same 7 as the CMM2, default is OPTION DEFAULT FONT 1,1
Defaults PA4 to input with a pullup unless otherwise assigned
Command recall at the prompt now implemented
@ function implemented (e.g. print @(100,100)"Hello")

Anyone up and running yet?

Edited 2021-11-29 00:12 by matherp

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:49pm 28 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nope. I have a board but can't get it to connect to the PC at all. The blue LED is pulsing so the SOC is running. Tried to get into program mode while by holding BOOT0 while powering and by holding BOOT0 while pressing NRST. In both cases blue light goes out, just leaving PWR led lit. Windows doesn't see any sort of new device in device manager. I've just bought a new USB-C lead to try (I've tried two others). If that doesn't work I intend to try rigging up a USB-TTL converter onto the TX/RX data pins to try to bypass the USB connector but not got round to it yet. Too busy at the mo to mess with it - I'm modifying CMM2s. :)

Update:
The new USB-C lead is no better, even though this one comes in a packed labelled "Power & Sync" so I assume it has the data cores. :)
Edited 2021-11-29 02:19 by Mixtel90
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:50pm 28 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just tested on my board

Unplug. Hold down boot0 (nothing else). Plug in USB. keep boot0 held for a second or more. Release boot0

Run STM32CubeProgrammer. Select USB, you should see the serial number and then connect.

I assume you have got STM32CubeProgrammer working with the CMM2? Via USB?

If not then you may need drivers

To do anything you must have a USB/UART connected to the console pins. Needed to enable the PS2 keyboard etc.
Edited 2021-11-29 02:54 by matherp

Page 1 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024